Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 05:59 AM   #1
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
How do you register a Kindle DX without Whispernet?

Hello all,

As a user of the US version of the Kindle DX and someone who does not reside in the US, I am unable to register my DX. This is because officially registration is only available through Whispernet. Which is why currently my DX is displaying a 'non registered' status. Effectively, what this means is that I can't access some of the menu settings. It also means that some of the key functions in the 2.5 update (creating collections) is unavailable.

After browsing the forum here, I'm aware that some users have been able to hack into the operating system and register without Whispernet. It sounds very technical and frankly beyond my level expertise. So I'd be really grateful if someone could give a step-by-step guide on how to go about this.

The following thread deals with this somewhat:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70739

But I have no idea what to make of it.

Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
nakita002
nakita002 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I logged into my Amazon account - manage your kindle - and registered it there. It just asks you for your Kindle's serial number and you're done.
The only thing I'm concerned about is that although on my Amazon account it shows as registered, on my K2 it sill reads 'non-registered'.
Im not sure if it is supposed to be like this....
nakita002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakita002 View Post
I logged into my Amazon account - manage your kindle - and registered it there. It just asks you for your Kindle's serial number and you're done.
The only thing I'm concerned about is that although on my Amazon account it shows as registered, on my K2 it sill reads 'non-registered'.
Im not sure if it is supposed to be like this....
That's exactly what Sheikspeare is describing: Adding it to your account via PC is NOT the same, as registering via Whispernet.
You can read your books. But you can't access all the settings.

Last edited by mgmueller; 05-14-2010 at 09:45 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Nakita002, it's the device I'm referring to. If the device can't connect via the wireless service then of course it can't be updated as per settings on your Amazon account.

The device has to connect somehow. My question is whether there is any of registering your device without connecting through Whispernet.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
Sheikspeare
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
That's exactly what Sheikspeare is describing: Adding it to your account via PS is NOT the same, as registering via Whispernet.
You can read your books. But you can't access all the settings.
mgmeuller, yes indeed!
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
nakita002
nakita002 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Sorry...tried to help!! :-)
nakita002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:29 AM   #7
derek_s
derek_s began at the beginning.

Device: bke-t3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikspeare View Post
Hello all,

As a user of the US version of the Kindle DX and someone who does not reside in the US, I am unable to register my DX. This is because officially registration is only available through Whispernet. Which is why currently my DX is displaying a 'non registered' status. Effectively, what this means is that I can't access some of the menu settings. It also means that some of the key functions in the 2.5 update (creating collections) is unavailable.

After browsing the forum here, I'm aware that some users have been able to hack into the operating system and register without Whispernet. It sounds very technical and frankly beyond my level expertise. So I'd be really grateful if someone could give a step-by-step guide on how to go about this.

The following thread deals with this somewhat:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70739

But I have no idea what to make of it.

Actually what you need is a telnet connection to Kind DX and then make a reginfo file. But creating telnet connection requires an installation of "usbnetwork" hack package on Kindle DX, and I am not sure whether it is working the newest 2.5, because it isn't working on mine US Kindle DX anymore when I upgrade.

here is a link about "usbnetwork"
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49350
derek_s is offline   Reply With Quote