Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
Rafaelo4
Sky Plane Dweller
Rafaelo4 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Fastest way to load ebooks onto reader

Hiya,

I recently became proud owner of PRS-600 and I have few questions which arent covered in the manual.

Basically using Calibre I converted 1000+ comics I have into .lrf/BBeB format
which look perfect on PRS-600.(did comprehensive testing)

Now I bought few 16GB SD card (San Disk Ultra II) and I am thinking whats the fastest way to copy 9GB of .lrf comics onto my Sony reader?

Should I copy them through Calibre or just directly to my SD card?
Should I insert card in my SD card reader and then when everything is copied I insert it into Sony Reader (is that faster then if I put card into Sony Reader and then copy trough Calibre to it?)

I hope this is not confusing.. just want to know basically should I copy ebooks to SD card first and then insert it into Sony or just immediately (while its empty) insert it into Sony and then copy everything.What is faster?

Anyway thx in advance.
Rafaelo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:26 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It doesn't really matter how you copy them. Either way, indexing 1000 files will take half a day or more, and will likely deplete the battery unless you use an AC charger. Better just copy 10 or so each time you need to read something new.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
Rafaelo4
Sky Plane Dweller
Rafaelo4 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
It doesn't really matter how you copy them. Either way, indexing 1000 files will take half a day or more, and will likely deplete the battery unless you use an AC charger. Better just copy 10 or so each time you need to read something new.
Erm no.Indexing 1000 files will take about 2 hours as mentioned in numerous threads.And so what?Once that is done each time I want to add something new indexing will just take new books into account.

I dont mind using AC charger either and try telling Ipod owner that each time he feels listening to new songs he should add 20 at a time instead of his entire collection.
Rafaelo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafaelo4 View Post
Hiya,

I recently became proud owner of PRS-600 and I have few questions which arent covered in the manual.

Basically using Calibre I converted 1000+ comics I have into .lrf/BBeB format
which look perfect on PRS-600.(did comprehensive testing)

Now I bought few 16GB SD card (San Disk Ultra II) and I am thinking whats the fastest way to copy 9GB of .lrf comics onto my Sony reader?

Should I copy them through Calibre or just directly to my SD card?
Should I insert card in my SD card reader and then when everything is copied I insert it into Sony Reader (is that faster then if I put card into Sony Reader and then copy trough Calibre to it?)

I hope this is not confusing.. just want to know basically should I copy ebooks to SD card first and then insert it into Sony or just immediately (while its empty) insert it into Sony and then copy everything.What is faster?

Anyway thx in advance.

No matter what method you use, like igorsk suggested, it'll still take time to index everything. Even if you run it through Ebook Library, much less Calibre; you can add tags to the files if you use the former two (whereas just dragging-and-dropping onto the SD card either through the Reader or through an internal SD card reader won't), but that won't stop the reader from indexing files after you unplug the USB from the computer... or if you pop the SD card into it, for that matter. It'll always do that the first time, and it'll take a few minutes to go through the files. The transfer time may vary depending on how you're copying the files onto the reader, but the indexing time will always be about the same... although if you remove the SD card to put files on it, you might lose the changes to the metadata you might've made.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote