Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2009, 03:08 AM   #1
aling2410
aling2410 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-600
Total Newbie now LOST!

Total Newbie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Folks

I'm a total newbie venturing into unknown waters here. I've been facsinated by the fact that I can read my books on an electronic gadget. So much so that I'll be getting my Sony PRS-600 within the next 3-4weeks.
I've scoured through all the relevant websites and I must say I'm now faced with Information Overload!
Some questions I have which I hope fellow forumers can advise:
1. After I get the device, switch it on, understood that the program is preloaded in the device and will run on the laptop. Is it how it is supposed to go?
2. Do I need to install Calibre first? Whats the procedure. I had gathered that Calibre beats the Sony software hands down in terms of conversion and downloading to the device from the laptop?
3. Most Asked Question: How do I buy ebboks from US based websites? I've got suggestions ranging from : use a gift card, use a US debit card etc. I also read about restriction in downloads cos the websites track the IP addresses. How do we go around this?

Sorry for the pleatoral of questions but I want to get well prepared to handle the new toy :-)
Thank you in advance for any advice given.

Best.
aling2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:52 AM   #2
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Hello! Welcome to the forum, and glad you're looking forward to the Reader

1. You can download the program here in advance. Probably better
2. No, you won't need to install Calibre first; however, it's better if you download Adobe Digital Editions and sign up with an ADE account (it's required for DRM-ed ePubs). But Calibre is good
3. It depends heavily on the store. For example, ebooks.com never gave me weird notices (publisher doesn't want to sell the book in my area and so on). Booksonboard, while far better priced, sometimes gives you this message. Fictionwise does (but allows you through their Micropay system to contour partially the restriction). As for Sony, you got a PM arriving from me (yes, paranoid!). Take care, if you're not in the UK, that WHSmith decided recently to put up barriers for at least some books in their catalogue even for Continental Europe. Waterstones doesn't, at the moment.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert