Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
normnmiles
normnmiles began at the beginning.

Device: bebook
Calibre scroll text

Hello. I am having a problem with the 0.6.x versions of Calibre's ebook viewer. The 0.6.x versions scroll multiple lines when using the mouse wheel. In past 0.5.x versions the mouse wheel only scrolled one line at a time. I am not sure what controls the amount of lines that are scrolled and haven't seen any preferences for it. I have also tried changing my mouse wheel settings under Windows but that hasn't helped.

Is there a way to change the scrolling behavior? If not is there a way to map the down arrow to scroll one line instead of a page?

Thank you.
normnmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If I remember right it should be scrolling two lines with the mouse wheel. Is that not the case?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If I remember right it should be scrolling two lines with the mouse wheel. Is that not the case?
Yep! That's what it does on my system (Win XP). And of course it scrolls on line with the down arrow.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IIRC you can also scroll up/down one line with the j/k keys
Old 09-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
normnmiles

It scrolls about 5-7 lines using the wheel. Thanks for the j/k tip. I will try that.

Kostas, I have Windows XP as well but have noticed this behavior on my Windows 7 machine as well. Just noticed the difference with the 0.6.x versions.

Could it be the .epub files I am using?
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
(error)

Last edited by Kostas; 09-01-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Open a ticket and attach one of your epub files to it.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
It's not the epub. Scrolling was changed to be 1/8 (honestly I can't remember what I made it) the page with 0.6. The issue was switching to PyQt 4.5 caused double scroll bars and when the internal scroll bars were disabled (due to the design of the viewer) scrolling stopped completely. I chose a percentage to scroll instead of one line mainly because large screens would take forever to scroll. With j/k and the arrows scrolling by smaller amounts I decided that the wheel should scroll a larger amount.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
normnmiles

Quote:
Open a ticket and attach one of your epub files to it.
Created ticket #3383. Thank you again.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #10
normnmiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
It's not the epub. Scrolling was changed to be 1/8 (honestly I can't remember what I made it) the page with 0.6. The issue was switching to PyQt 4.5 caused double scroll bars and when the internal scroll bars were disabled (due to the design of the viewer) scrolling stopped completely. I chose a percentage to scroll instead of one line mainly because large screens would take forever to scroll. With j/k and the arrows scrolling by smaller amounts I decided that the wheel should scroll a larger amount.
Thanks for the information which explains the behavior. Though my j/k scrolls 1/8 of the page and the arrow down scrolls a page. I don't know of an option to scroll line by line. It's bothersome for me since I lose my place if I scroll more than a line.

Thanks again for the explanation.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #11
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normnmiles View Post
Thanks for the information which explains the behavior. Though my j/k scrolls 1/8 of the page and the arrow down scrolls a page. I don't know of an option to scroll line by line. It's bothersome for me since I lose my place if I scroll more than a line.

Thanks again for the explanation.
I'll play with the scrolling a bit so that 1 line, part of page, and 1 page will all be available.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #12
user_none

I've committed a change to the scrolling behavior. Here is how each way should scroll:
  • Page down, down, space: Scroll to next page.
  • Page up, up, backspace: Scroll to previous page.
  • Home: Go to start of section (this may or may not be the start of the document).
  • End: Go to end of section (this may or may not be the end of the document).
  • Mouse wheel: Scroll by 20% of page either up or down (this may not be 20% depending on the sensitivity of your mouse wheel).
  • J: Scroll 15 pixels down.
  • K: Scroll 15 pixels up.
  • H: Scroll 15 pixels left.
  • L: Scroll 15 pixels right.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

May be a good idea to add Ctrl+Home and Ctrl+End for beginning of doc/end of doc
Old 09-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #14
user_none

Quote:
May be a good idea to add Ctrl+Home and Ctrl+End for beginning of doc/end of doc
Already does. Missed that when I was making the list.