Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-25-2024, 11:18 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
$29 Desktop Computer for Writers?

I discovered that Wyse terminals (now owned by Dell) can be used as cheap desktop computers. Currently on eBay a seller is refurbishing Dell Wyse 5060 Thin Clients and selling them for $29 (including shipping) plus tax. So I bought one to see if it would run Linux — and it does so well. Apparently you can also install Windows 10 on these also.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40485361771...sAAOSwN4Flb6R~

These use a low power, quad core AMD CPU and also an AMD GPU (graphics). They come with 8 GBs of RAM (can be upgraded to 16 GBs) and a 64 GB flash drive (which you can also upgrade). These are not high-end specs, but the computer runs well with Linux Mint 21.3 (newest version). It took 30 minutes (using a USB 2.0 thumb drive) to fully install and completely upgrade the software. Everything came up fine, audio, video drivers, etc. It's small 7" x 7" x 1.5" and has no fan (so it's silent), but it's heavier than you think by looking at it because it's got a big heat sink. These have two display ports for video, so there's a decent chance you might need a Display Port to VGA or HDMI adapter, about $6 or $7 on Amazon. (Be aware that most sellers do not sell these with 8 GBs of RAM or a 64 GB flash drive, so that check that out. Also a lot of sellers don't include the power supply, this seller does, and these can cost almost as much as the computer for OEM ones.)

It runs YouTube and streaming movies well. I tested mine at HD resolution with full screen and it worked fine (surprised me). The seller has cleaned and refurbished these and mine looked almost new. It was shipped the day I ordered it and got to my house in three days.

At any rate, maybe something to look at if you need an extra computer or a first computer. I read sometimes that writers are using Android tablets or iPads for writing and I think this might give them a better option.

This is the only thing I've bought from this seller, but I was happy with the service and he has good feedback.

Sorry for rambling. If you need a cheap desktop computer option (maybe for trying out Linux) this might be worth looking into.

EDIT: I should mention that this computer does have two 3.1 USB ports, but (for some reason) they're both on the back.

EDIT 2: There is an M.2 slot for a WiFi card (like what's in laptops), but you would have to order it and install it yourself (same with antenna(s) and the wires running to them). They do come with cut out holes for the antennas with plugs in them. Some sellers do have ones with WiFi and antennas already installed, but they rarely have them with 8 GBs of RAM and 64 GBs of storage.

Last edited by rcentros; 03-25-2024 at 11:31 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:53 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
A new Raspberry Pi 4b also sounds cheap as a desktop PC, but unlike the Wyse bargain it's only cheap at about $60 if you already have a 3.5A 5V PSU, keyboard, mouse, 128 G Byte micro SD card, a box and an HDMI screen (an HDTV will do). Adding all of those gets you up to the price of a cheap new laptop.

However I see that unlike the Wyse terminals I encountered years ago (built into a CRT) these, like the Raspberry PI, need a screen, keyboard and mouse. However at least it's got a box, PSU and flash drive (You might have more than 45G byte free after an install of Linux). The RAM is fine for Linux. Mint can run email, browser and LO Writer etc with 2G of RAM. The 8 G byte is loads!

Great value if you are in the USA.
Quote:
Shipping:
Does not ship to Ireland. See details for shipping
Located in: Portland, Oregon, United States
Also likely better spec than Chrome Book (though the "new" Chrome OS isn't the same as it used to be, it's now a full Linux, but there are x86-64 and ARM versions of Chrome Book).

I suspect Wyse terminals with Linux Mint, Mate and LibreOffice is cheaper and simpler than trying to put Win10 and MS Office. I installed W10 recently on a laptop designed for it and it took about x4 longer than setting up Linux on a Dell 7030, a lenovo laptop or RPi4B. It was pre-licensed in the BIOS, so Win 10 registered. My copy of MS Office (minimum version) 2007 refused to licence, even though it's not used up.

If someone* is a writer in Ireland and has no PC/Laptop and will call in to the Batcave here in Limerick Ireland I have one free laptop and one free workstation (with LCD screen, keyboard, mouse etc) to give away. Linux and Libre Office all setup, and some training included. PM me why you need it rather than buying a cheap laptop under €300. Only to a suitable home. Collect only.

[* Two people]

Last edited by Quoth; 03-26-2024 at 05:55 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2024, 07:14 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Great value if you are in the USA.
I should have mentioned something about "in the USA." But I got the idea reading the following...

https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/w...60/linux.shtml

Quote:
After all the hassle of updating the BIOS, the installation of a modern operating system was a breeze. So far I have tried Linux Mint 21, Ubuntu 22.04, Pop!_OS 22.04 and Debian 11.5 (Debian needed secure boot disabling to run the live media). I also installed a 2019 version of Windows 10 LTS. All systems have worked surprisingly well despite the modest hardware and I have absolutely no complaints.

I settled on Linux Mint 21 which took up around a quarter of the 64gb flash drive installed. It takes 30 seconds from power on to fully booted and works so well I'm now donating my Wyse 5060 to my father in-law who needed an upgrade. He only uses his computer for email/internet/word processing and this device does all of those things effortlessly. Not bad for £30 delivered.
...so apparently they sometimes show up cheap in Great Britain as well.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:47 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
For 30 years I got PCs and eventually laptops for free. Small offices upgrading and trusting me to wipe the HDDs.
I think that ended about 4 or 5 years ago.

I'll make a post if I see any similar bargain this side of the "pond". The best thing about a laptop for a writer, programmer or engineer isn't the portability, but the built in battery for power cuts. So my cheap S/H Dell 7030 and its bought new 23″ 4K screen has a UPS under the desk.

The switch, router, fibre modem and attic "server" also has a UPS.

We are looking at multiple 24V batteries (each 2 x 12) and solar panels with the optimal chargers. Most solar systems sold here have no batteries and sell to the grid. So you have nothing if the grid goes down. I hope a wider war isn't coming, however a bad storm or severe solar flare can create havoc.

Thanks for the info, though I personally have too many PCs, ereaders etc.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 02:23 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Thanks for the info, though I personally have too many PCs, ereaders etc.
I do also, but I wanted to confirm that this Wyse terminal could be used as a cheap computer. I thought it would run, but I was surprised at how well it worked for this. I'm glad $10 (or so) more it would have cost for the Wyse 5070, which are also cheap in the U.S.
Advert