Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Free E-book: Raising Atlantis by Thomas Greanias

I've gotten a lot from this forum, and I'm happy to give back.

It's a pdf, and according to Amazon.com: "THE TRUTH IS DOWN THERE—BURIED UNDER TWO MILES OF ICE.

In Antarctica, a glacial earthquake swallows up a team of scientists...and exposes a mysterious monument older than the Earth itself.

In Peru, archaeologist Dr. Conrad Yeats is apprehended by U.S. Special Forces...to unlock the final key to the origins of the human race.

In Rome, the pope summons environmental activist Dr. Serena Serghetti to the Vatican...and reveals a terrifying vision of apocalyptic disaster.

In space, a weather satellite reveals four massive storms forming around the South Pole...and three U.S. spy satellites disappear from orbit.

These are the end times, when the legends of a lost civilization and the prophecies of the world’s great religions lead a man and a woman to a shattering discovery that will change the fate of humankind. This is the ultimate voyage, a journey to the center of time, as awe-inspiring as the dawn of man—and as inevitable as doomsday. This is RAISING ATLANTIS... "

http://www.simonandschuster.com/swee...on-sweepstakes is the main page and http://www.simonandschuster.com/admi...ntis_ebook.pdf is the main link.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
- looks very interesting.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Thanks! Just saved it on my desktop for this afternoon's reading!
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
This looks interesting.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Very cool - only reason I'm not taking immediate advantage of this is that I've already got the paperback. It was a fun book.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Wow! Thanks!
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Edit: I know the original poster is not the author. My comments are to all authors.

If the point of the author is to have his/her material read by a wider audience, then free or not, providing only a PDF is self defeating. Sure, some will read it on their "big screen" PC and a few will spend hours converting it to something useful on an ebook reader. Not me, and not many others are willing to go through this hassle any more. There is too much other material by too many other authors that we can be reading without dealing with PDF. If you want more readers, make it easier for them to actually read your stuff.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Edit: I know the original poster is not the author. My comments are to all authors.

If the point of the author is to have his/her material read by a wider audience, then free or not, providing only a PDF is self defeating. Sure, some will read it on their "big screen" PC and a few will spend hours converting it to something useful on an ebook reader. Not me, and not many others are willing to go through this hassle any more. There is too much other material by too many other authors that we can be reading without dealing with PDF. If you want more readers, make it easier for them to actually read your stuff.
While not free this book is available for the Kindle and at the Sony site.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #9
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Two minutes to run the PDF through Mobipocket Creator. One more minute to change some </br> tags to <p> tags in the resulting HTML file and run it through Mobipocket Creator again. Three minutes total to produce a quite readable Mobipocket, with Antarctic map on two pages.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #10
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post

The Mobipocket Reader converts it from .pdf in seconds (literally) by just dragging and dropping. From there it's automatically uploaded to my Kindle via USB.

I can't see anything to complain about given so little effort especially when I'm not being charged for the privilege of reading the book. (And though it's not my usual genre, I've downloaded it and am going to give it a look.)
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #11
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
The sale of this book without its cover is unauthorized. If you purchased this book without a cover, you should be aware that it was reported to the publisher as "unsold and destroyed." Neither the author nor the publisher has received payment for the sale of this "stripped book."

(The ebook has no cover image.)

That said--is there somewhere I could send a tagged, bookmarked version of the PDF? The original had no metadata, no tags, no bookmarks. (Which is common, but still annoying.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Aaaaah! Atlantis, one of my favorite fiction subject.

Thanks for the find and the links Ocean!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #13
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Originally Posted by jgray

Quote:
Wow...Regarding the above...I got nothin'

I repeat, thanks for the link! I'm enjoying your largess...PDF or not (and I'll be taking that 2-3 minutes to convert it for my Sony later...squeeze it into my oh so busy schedule.
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #14
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I sent a note to the publisher, asking if they'd like the tagged, bookmarked, metadata-included copy. (Which is also 1.5 mb smaller than the original.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:21 PM   #15
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Aaaaah! Atlantis, one of my favorite fiction subject.

Thanks for the find and the links Ocean!

Atlantis...Ocean....very cool for a first post, right?

Please recommend to me some more Atlantis fiction.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote