Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-12-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
metageek
metageek began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
PRS-700 lost its tags

Yesterday the tags disappeared from all the books on my PRS-700. (I'm not sure whether Calibre caused this or not; I didn't notice when it happened.) They're still in the epub files, but neither Calibre's UI nor the device itself shows them.

The tags are cached in some sort of index on the device, right? Is there some way I can force that index to be regenerated?
metageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
metageek

Quote:
Originally Posted by metageek View Post
The tags are cached in some sort of index on the device, right? Is there some way I can force that index to be regenerated?
Well, I found the files in Sony Reader Storage Card/Sony Reader/database, and moved them into another directory. They got rebuilt, but it didn't extract the tags.

Does calibre include anything like calibredb that works on the database in the device? Given that, I could script something. I really don't want to reenter all the tags by hand (I've got 535 books on this SD card), and having calibre push all the books out to the device again doesn't appeal, either. (My work machine has USB 1.x, and my home machine doesn't have all my books.)
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No calibre doesn't have a CLI for manipulating the XML db on the device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
metageek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No calibre doesn't have a CLI for manipulating the XML db on the device.
OK, maybe I'll try writing one sometime.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
metageek

Workaround

I wound up backing up the card, reformatting it, adding all the files to my laptop's copy of calibre, and pushing the books back out to the device. Then I copied all the music files back out.

One thing I learned about the PRS-700 in the process: the USB Mass Storage mode, plus writing to the SD card, takes more energy than it can get from the USB cable. I left the copy going overnight; in the morning, I found that only about 1.5GB of the 3GB of music had made it out, and the battery was dead.
Advert

Tags
corruption, database, sony, sony 700