Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 04-10-2003, 10:31 PM   #1
rrayl
rrayl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie SJ20
Converting PDF files w. HS

Can anyone tell me if its possible to convert Adobe Acrobat PDF files with Handstory. I know that it's on the list of future enhancements, but I would rather not wait.
rrayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 11:18 PM   #2
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Re: Converting PDF files w. HS

Quote:
Originally posted by rrayl
Can anyone tell me if its possible to convert Adobe Acrobat PDF files with Handstory. I know that it's on the list of future enhancements, but I would rather not wait.
Nor would I, but we must. From HandStory's support page:

Q. Can I convert and read Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) files on my Palm using HandStory?

A. Not yet. However, HandStory is already equipped with related technology. The feature is planned for HandStory Suite 3.x. In the future, we also plan to support direct conversion of Microsoft Word and Excel files.
gvtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2003, 11:35 PM   #3
rrayl

I thought I heard somewhere that there may be a third party app that may permit the convertions.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:41 AM   #4
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Quote:
Originally posted by rrayl
I thought I heard somewhere that there may be a third party app that may permit the conversions.
There are some out there that will do this, but it's a multi-step process...there is not direct PDF-to-Handstory method available at the moment. But before I mention the process for the PDF-to-HTML-to-HandStory conversion, you may want to consider getting Adobe's free Acrobat Reader for Palm and simple convert the PDFs for the that reader program on your PDF. They don't read directly, and it's still a conversion that isn't perfect, but it's perhaps simplier.

Link for info/download Acrobat Reader for Palm

The only conversion method I'm aware of (which I haven't tried) is to use one of the myriad of PDF-to-HTML conversion programs available, then after conversion find the html file in File Manager, select it, then right click and choose "Clip to Palm." This will convert the html file to HandStory, and set it for hotsync. I do this with html files all the time, but haven't tried working from a PDF through HandStory format with this method.

There's a thread currently running here in the forum on PDF-to-HTML converters, and you might want to try this method with one of those converters:

http://www.turcic.com/forums/showthr...=1652#post1652

Again, I haven't tried this myself, but it's how it's "supposed" to work! Will add it to my list and try to do a review of the available PDF-to-HTML converters speficially for eventual conversion into HandStory.

If you try the PDF-to-HTML-then-right-click method, please let us know here how well it worked (or didn't work).

Cheers,
Gary
gvtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 10:00 PM   #5
rrayl

Gary,
Thanks for your recommendation to use Acrobat Reader for Palm OS first. I downloaded it and tried it. It works pretty good although the formatting is not as good as a native HS doc. Although not perfect, I think it will be good enough until HS is able to convert PDF files via a hopefully near future enhancement. Your description of PDF to html and then right click conversion is too involved for me, particularly since Reader for Palm OS works well enough for me.
Again, thanks for the tip
Ray.
Advert