Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
lisa.m
Enthusiast
lisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Question about author sort and requests

Hi, I've recently started using Calibre and it is a fantastic program. I haven't been able to find anything even close to it to catalog my ebooks. I've run into an issue with the author sorting though and am wondering if it is something I've done wrong.

I cannot get the authors to sort alphabetically. I have updated all of the metadata for each book so that all of the authors' names are entered the same way (first name, last name) however I have 6 books by Charlaine Harris and they end up with four sorted together and two orphans located separately. Am I doing something wrong or is it an issue with this version? Using version 5.14.

Also, I have two requests. They may be addressed already in your beta version so the point may be moot. I'd LOVE to see a checkmark column for read/not read. I'm amassing some books and starting to lose track of what I have read so far. I am sure it will only get worse as I go. Currently I am rating the books I have read but I don't always feel like rating the books.

Second, is it possible to retrieve the publication date of the book via the metadata? So many of the ebooks were published previously in print but the ebook websites list the ebook publication date. For some reason these ebooks don't contain copyright pages with publication dates. It drives me crazy! I could look it up manually but that will take more time that I'd like.

Thank you in advance for reading my mini novel here, and thank you for the great program!
lisa.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
authors are sorted according to the contents of the author sort field in the edit metadata dialog. I use a simple "read" tag to mark books as read (only slightly less convenient than a checkmark)

The next release of calibre will fetch publication date when available.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
lisa.m
Enthusiast
lisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Thank you! I knew it was me. I guess I didn't pay attention to the fact that some of the sort fields were entered differently. Duh.

I considered entering read tags as well, but wouldn't a little check mark be sooo much easier?
lisa.m is offline   Reply With Quote