Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle 2
Can't change dictionary on K2

I'm need some help with this one. I added a couple of translation dictionaries (converted from LIT format via Calibre) and a thesaurus (purchased from Amazon) to my K2. I wanted to change the primary dictionary for the lookup function to one of these to try it out, but when I followed the directions (from Home page, press Menu and choose Settings, then press the Menu button again) I don't have an option to change the primary dictionary at all. As in, not even there but greyed out, it is not on the menu choices at all.

I have updated my OS to 2.0.3, and I have both Savory and Screensaver Hack installed.

Any idea of what is wrong? Does the dictionary have to have a special format somehow for the K2 to recognize there is an alternative available? Any incompatibility with the hacks? Something change in OS 2.0.3? Or am I missing something else altogether? Any help will be appreciated.
BarryTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I believe the dictionary has to be in a special format you can only get from Amazon.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Dictionaries do need to be in a special format. See How to create your own mobipocket dictionary for any language:. Even closer to your needs is Converting Encarta Dictionaries to Mobipocket Tutorial, since this starts with a conventional ebook dictionary and makes it into a searchable dictionary.

The following pre-built dictionaries should work: Dictionary, Webster's: Webster's Dictionary 1913, v1, 22 Nov 07, GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English, and Wordnet Dictionary for Mobipocket.

Multi-language dictionaries seem to be particularly difficult, see Foreign Dictionaries for Kindle 2.

Last edited by wallcraft; 05-11-2009 at 10:32 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Many thanks for the help. However, when I try to follow the process with my dictionary, the Mobipocket build fails. I have tried it with Mobigen and with Mobipocket Creator Pro. With the latter, I get a bunch (260) errors that all say the same thing:

Error(prcgen): Two <idx:entry> tags cannot have the same id.

I can't figure out why this is happening - any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Did you check the <idx:entry> tags in the intermediate HTML? Probably they are based on some entry in the original file that has some kind of tag that must differ.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
BarryTX
Connoisseur

I searched the 3 html files that were created after exploding the LIT file for <idx:entry> and it wasn't obvious that there was any problem with the tags. Having said that, I wouldn't claim to have any real knowledge of tags, so I am probably missing something.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:15 AM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I would think that a .lit file would be unlikely to contain the right information for a Mobipocket format dictionary.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
BarryTX
Connoisseur

I've done a bit more study. The Mobipocket reference pages state that the TEI tags used in Microsoft Reader dictionary publications are supported, but my 260 errors disappeared when I converted the TEI tags to <idx:entry name=...> and <idxrth>. However, it still Mobipocket Creator still doesn't Build, spitting out new errors.

In the htm file there are still a bunch of TEI tags, including

<tei-ms:text>, <tei-ms:body>, <tei-ms:form>, and <tei-ms:sense>

I'm guessing I need to convert or eliminate these, but I can't find any master list of TEI tags to compare to the Mobipocket tag format. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

By the way, if anyone else has already converted these specific LIT dictionaries, I'd really like to hear about your experience.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
BarryTX
Connoisseur

that wasn't supposed to be an "embarassment" smiley in the post above, it should have been <idx: orth> without the space after the colon.