Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
Damętas
Connoisseur
Damętas doesn't litterDamętas doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
DMCA Insanity

Amazon's legal notice to MobileRead.com which (wrongly, imho) invoked DMCA has now made the news:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10196424-38.html

The ironic part is that the news story links to the cached MobileRead.com pages which Amazon strong-armed our moderator to delete. Will Amazon now invoke DMCA against cnet?
Damętas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damętas View Post
Amazon's legal notice to MobileRead.com which (wrongly, imho) invoked DMCA has now made the news:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10196424-38.html

The ironic part is that the news story links to the cached MobileRead.com pages which Amazon strong-armed our moderator to delete. Will Amazon now invoke DMCA against cnet?
Or perhaps against Google??
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
TheMadBrewer
Connoisseur
TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura Limited Edition, Kindle Voyager.
I just thought I'd mention a free utility I find very handy:

www.html-pdf-converter.com

You give it a url (and they can be quite long) and it makes and download a PDF of the page. Even works with cached pages
TheMadBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer View Post
I just thought I'd mention a free utility I find very handy:

www.html-pdf-converter.com

You give it a url (and they can be quite long) and it makes and download a PDF of the page. Even works with cached pages
That is very handy. I have Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.0 which does the same thing ... but it is a rather expensive program. A free utility that does the job is plain ol' great!!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
srmalloy
Enthusiast
srmalloy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
That is very handy. I have Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.0 which does the same thing ... but it is a rather expensive program. A free utility that does the job is plain ol' great!!
You can also get free PDF convertors like PrimoPDF, which uses an implementation of the GhostScript public-domain PostScript interpreter to create a printer device in Windows; when you print to that device, it makes a PDF file from the content, so you can use any application to create PDF documents.
srmalloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
All these lawsuits are just silly....
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDaMan View Post
All these lawsuits are just silly....
Well, the DMCA is just silly. It was written by people who do not understand the digital world and know even less about the expectations of the average consumer concerning their ownership (or lack thereof) of the products that they think they are buying.

It is ineffective, and it will probably get worse before it gets better. In fact, most of the upcoming legislation regarding the internet (in the US ... I should be more specific) is stupid. There is a new law being debated which will make it necessary for anyone having a router to keep several years worth of records (which may be inspected at any time) to verify that no one has used that router to access sites that have illegal content.

Now they say it's to protect children, but it's really about digital piracy and the DMCA. And .... it's stupid.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Amazon can say whatever they like, but it makes one wonder if they actually have merit and grounds for litigation. In any case, I'll be interested to see where this goes.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think the DMCA was written by people who don't have a clue what fair use is and even if they do, they don't care.

The problem with the DMCA, is that it doesn't stop the pirates and only hurts the honest people.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
That utility is kick-arse. Thanks.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
MoboHobo
Banned
MoboHobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
I'd be interested in seeing the outcome of all this fiasco.
MoboHobo is offline   Reply With Quote