Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 05:16 AM   #1
vinkueh
vinkueh began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPhone
Unhappy Install PDB file to iPhone

Hi there,

I have just purchase New International Version (NIV) bible from Olivetree.com but I am really new to iPhone. It gives me a pdb file and I really dont have any idea how to transfer my new NIV bible to my new iPhone. Appreciate if any professional out there that can 'save' me. Many many thanks.

Rgds
VK
vinkueh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:40 AM   #2
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Hi VK

It may be that eReader can read this book. (The extension PDB is used by several applications so I cannot be sure).

If you download the free eReader application from the App Store, then from the BookShelf page in eReader press the "+" button to add titles, select "Another site" and enter the Olivetree URL to locate your book.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
RearCog
RearCog began at the beginning.

Device: OliveTree, MobiPocket, eReader, HTC 8125, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinkueh View Post
Hi there,

I have just purchase New International Version (NIV) bible from Olivetree.com but I am really new to iPhone. It gives me a pdb file and I really dont have any idea how to transfer my new NIV bible to my new iPhone. Appreciate if any professional out there that can 'save' me. Many many thanks.

Rgds
VK
Without hacking your iPhone there is no way to install PDB files directly to the iPhone. You have to buy the prebundled packages that OliveTree has on the iTunes app store (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=287455449).

Currently OliveTree does not offer the NIV on iPhone, though it should be out shortly (see http://www.olivetree.com/help/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583).

Also, to see more about why you can't buy books for the iPhone directly from Olive Tree's web site see the top of this discussion http://www.olivetree.com/help/forum/viewtopic.php?t=518.

You can get a refund for the NIV that you purchased by contacting Olive Tree tech support http://www.olivetree.com/help/.

Regards,
Stephen
Software Engineer
Olive Tree Bible Software
RearCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Actually... there is an App Store application call Files (for Windows) and FileMagnet (for Mac) that you can use to send files back and forth to your iPhone or iPod Touch. They both work without having to be "jail broken."
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
RearCog
RearCog began at the beginning.

Device: OliveTree, MobiPocket, eReader, HTC 8125, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
Actually... there is an App Store application call Files (for Windows) and FileMagnet (for Mac) that you can use to send files back and forth to your iPhone or iPod Touch. They both work without having to be "jail broken."
Yes, this does allow you to move files from your computer to the File application. Apple has restrictions on 3rd party applications that prevent them from sharing files. So this means that only the File application and the applications that shipped with the iPhone can read the files that are transferred to File. Olive Tree and all other 3rd party applications would have to create this program to allow users to put files into their application.
RearCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
Carlosinter
Carlosinter began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
Of course, and DataCase, and MobileFinder, even better than FileMagnet. But the lack is that none of them have full file system access, i.e. every application, or readers like Stanza or BookShelf, can only access their respective folders, not other ones'.

Files sent to the iPhone by these utilities are only useful if they can be opened by core apps (jpg, txt, html, pdf... and so on).

Will Apple allow a tool like the full access Finder I had in my former jailbroken 1.1.2 iPod? I don't think so but...

Carlosinter
Carlosinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Stanza Desktop will allow you to transfer a .pdb file into the Stanza reader program on your iPhone or Touch and you'll be able to read it. I just did it with a .pdb file I created from my Palm. I was able to transfer via WiFi to my iPod Touch.

Go to lexcycle.com for the Stanza Desptop for Mac or Windows and look in the iTunes Apps store for the Stanza Reader. Both are free. The Stanza app also comes with a free version of the King James Version Bible and access to Feedbooks.com's catalog.

Last edited by daffy4u; 08-29-2008 at 06:04 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:38 PM   #8
thianliongpatpoh
Zealot
thianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Or you can do this:

1, install ereader apps (1.2 now) from itunes to iphone.
2, create fictionwise.com or ereader.com account
3, set your preferred format as ereader (pdb).
This will give you access to upload your personal content/upload folder (i have it with fictionwise.com).
4, upload your .pdb to that personal upload/content folder (at fictionwise.com, in my case) using desktop connection - your normal browsing.
5, open ereader apps in iphone, click (+) button and go to fictionwise site (with your userid/pswd), then download your upload content to your iphone.

So much hassle, but this also check whether your .pdb is valid to be opened by ereader apps on iphone, or not.

TK
thianliongpatpoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I went to OliveTree and couldn't find out what format they actually sell their books in. It looks as though they have their own custom "BibleReader" software.

To note, just because it's "pdb" doesn't mean eReader will automatically read it. Every file you transfer to a PDA is a "pdb" file, because that's the wrapper Palm's installation system uses to put them on there. It could be an eReader file, iSilo file, MobiPocket, or anything else.

It does look as though they have an iPhone version of their BibleReader software. You would be best advised to see if you could get that and the version of the Bible that will work with it. It will likely have its own method of installing itself on the iPhone or iPod Touch.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #10
vinkueh
vinkueh began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPhone
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
Hi VK

It may be that eReader can read this book. (The extension PDB is used by several applications so I cannot be sure).

If you download the free eReader application from the App Store, then from the BookShelf page in eReader press the "+" button to add titles, select "Another site" and enter the Olivetree URL to locate your book.
Thanks ChristopherTD. The file I downloaded is "ot_Bible-NIV.pdb". I have downloaded the free eReader s/w in my pc. Can I add the pdb file to my pc eReader using the method you mentioned? Or I have to do it in my iPhone?

Many thks first.

VK
vinkueh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!