Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-22-2015, 05:44 AM   #1
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
iPad Pro: thoughts, reviews, rumors...

Thought I'd open a general purpose thread for this, now that it's no longer a rumor. I haven't read much of the available info on it I'll admit, but I'm interested at least in theory. Especially waiting to see if drawing and painting apps will be updated to take advantage of the Apple Pencil. I have tried Wacom's Bluetooth pressure-sensitive stylus and hated it.

Plus, of course, the large screen makes iOS 9's split view even more appealing.

I think it's too soon to know what to make of this, but I will keep an eye on reviews and app updates.

Here is Mac Rumors' description of the iPad Pro.

And CNET's take, with much the same info.

And this Macworld review will hopefully be updated in the future with actual hands-on details.

Last edited by FlorenceArt; 09-22-2015 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Added Macworld link
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:33 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Definitely a niche market item, but we suspected that would be the case. I watched the livestream when it was introduced and was surprised that it did as much as it does. But at that price, I'm not sure how many people will buy it. I'm not in need of that kind of professional graphics tool, so no clue if it really appeals to those people. Personally I find doing artwork and CAD work on a tablet to be a major PITA. I much prefer my Macs and PC to any tablet for post processing my astrophotography. When you are dealing with RAW files that are 24MP and larger, and Photoshop/Lightroom files that can exceed 100MP, then no tablet is going to handle that very well. Plus I also use a lot of power hungry apps for astroprocessing that I seriously doubt will ever be ported to tablet OSes like iOS or Android. Nevertheless, there are a lot of artist types who could benefit from the Pro, but not me.
Advert
Old 09-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
But of course you will want to edit 4K video on there, right? At least Apple thinks there are such people...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
But of course you will want to edit 4K video on there, right? At least Apple thinks there are such people...
Well Apple and Google both think tablets can be used in processing video and photos. Perhaps if you are talking about the lackluster video and photos shot via the tablets or a smartphone, but not so much when you are talking about video and photos shot with professional equipment. Ten years from now tablets might have the horsepower to do that, but not today, and not by a long shot.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I must confess I failed as a fan girl when I first heard the rumours, and said that no way would I ever consider buying one. Now, I'm not so sure. I find myself flipping between my iPad Air 2 and my Macbook, for various things... I actually enjoy photo editing on my iPad but I find the screen is just a tad small for it, I can't see what I need to, in order to edit well enough. A 12-13" screen does well, but the screen on the macbook is a much lower res. It seems to me that the iPad Pro might be just the ticket to replace both. Its not something I would ever use without a keyboard, so I would also buy either that keyboard, or the inevitable Logitech version (I saw somewhere that Apple will be allowing third parties to access certain aspects, like the charging thingy).

I definitely have a use for one, but it will entirely depend on pricing and with the Aussie dollar so down against the greenback, I could be waiting a while before I could ever have one.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2015, 04:31 AM   #6
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
To read normal ebooks, screen is too big. I have a Surface Pro 3 and screen is too big to read them, even with Freda or Calibre that allows more than two column.

But, man (or woman), to read PDF... I dream with it. And with Apple Pencil. I expect GoodReader will give full pen support. I will pay another GoodReader App to obtain pen support in the Pro.

And note taking... Well, Apple enters in true professional sector, but they still need to add pencil to other devices like normal iPads and, of course, iPhones.

My second dream is Apple + Pencil, as it was Samsung + Pencil (Note devices), but I stopped using them because they didn't updated - and poor battery life.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:42 AM   #7
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
To read normal ebooks, screen is too big. I have a Surface Pro 3 and screen is too big to read them, even with Freda or Calibre that allows more than two column.
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that but now that you mention it...

Anyway I couldn't read on the train with an iPad pro, so I guess I would need to buy a mini in addition to the pro... But I tried it once (two iPads, one mini and one large) and it didn't work out, it was too much work trying to keep my data in sync.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:43 AM   #8
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Another thing you mention is pen support. Unless pen support is systemwide, regardless of the app, I don't think I would be very much interested.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:43 AM   #9
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that but now that you mention it...

Anyway I couldn't read on the train with an iPad pro, so I guess I would need to buy a mini in addition to the pro... But I tried it once (two iPads, one mini and one large) and it didn't work out, it was too much work trying to keep my data in sync.
With applications like Marvin you can have all your books synced, and if you configure GoodReader to be synced (manually) with your NAS or Dropbox or any other cloud service, you only need to press a button to be synced.

(And most of native apps syncs themselves automagically: notes, agenda, etc).
Old 09-27-2015, 05:44 AM   #10
rfog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Another thing you mention is pen support. Unless pen support is systemwide, regardless of the app, I don't think I would be very much interested.
Sadly, Apple way to do things is that. I'm afraid pen will not work as a finger, as it works in, for example, Samsung Note series or Microsoft Surfaces'.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:56 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You can draw with just your fingernails on a screen (I just tried), so it's the surface of the tip that matters more, and not so much the width, etc. So don't see why the pencil couldn't be used for general navigation.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:10 PM   #12
rfog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
So don't see why the pencil couldn't be used for general navigation.
Because they didn't implement pencil tap as finger tap?

In devices that support pen and digit, interfaces are separated, and accessed by different code. However, normal rule is convert pen touch into digit touch and into mouse touch if program does not use pen API or Digit API.

No mortar can confirm that a pen touch will be a finger touch until iPad Pro will be released.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:20 AM   #13
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Personally I'm not interested in a pencil as an interface tool but as a drawing/painting tool, so I wouldn't be crushed if pencil taps don't work very good (although of course it would be much better if they do). The important thing will be how well the system handles pen/finger/hand. When I write or draw with the pencil I don't want my wrist writing or triggering the zoom, but on the other hand if I tap the screen with my finger(s) just after using the pencil, I want that to be recognized.

Usually Apple is pretty good at that sort of thing, but we'll have to see.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:17 PM   #14
rfog
Guru

It is supposed iPad Pro has palm rejection (your hand not interfering with the screen), but nobody knows.

Some videos seems user is touching the screen with his palm, but others are painting "on the fly". I've asked about that but nobody has been able to answer for sure it has or not palm rejection, as Samsung Note and Microsoft Surface have.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:20 PM   #15
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
It is supposed iPad Pro has palm rejection (your hand not interfering with the screen), but nobody knows.

Some videos seems user is touching the screen with his palm, but others are painting "on the fly". I've asked about that but nobody has been able to answer for sure it has or not palm rejection, as Samsung Note and Microsoft Surface have.
The palm rejection is a go. http://daringfireball.net/linked/201...pixar-ipad-pro
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote