Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #31
n-man
n-man began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
So... any action?

I've had a long break from the iLiad development scene - I've actually been reading books (on my iLiad) instead of playing with it

Then I discovered this thread, which seems like just what I think the iLiad should have had from the beginning. I am really looking forward to trying it out. I have just one question:

Why the choice of /mnt/free/download? The only way I know of accessing this (short of file manager, ssh and terminal) is by setting default USB location to internal memory and connecting through USB. I usually just plug my CF card into my reader - connecting with USB requires the "travel hub", which is at my bed (where I usually am when the iLiad runs out of power...).

Can this directory be changed easily? Or would a softlink work (I guess I can't have a softlink on my FAT CF card to /mnt/free/download, but perhaps from /mnt/free/download to /mnt/cf/download?)

Anyway, off to find usb cables and do some experimenting
n-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #32
n-man
n-man began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-man View Post
Anyway, off to find usb cables and do some experimenting
At my first attempt I forgot the CF card and got scared when my "books" directory was emtpy

Second attempt: Worked perfectly! Great work all of you! Now I gotta try some more plugins.

Just a weird observation: After clicking on the iDS the first time (when my CF was ejected), and every time afterwards, the "Download history" shows "etc" and "tmp". They are clickable, too, allowing me to view the internal file system
n-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #33
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Why the choice of /mnt/free/download?
This is mainly due to two reasons:
1. There is a known bug when using WiFi and the CF card at the same time, and I didn't want to run into problems
2. Everybody has /mnt/free, but not everyone has a CF card. So I chose the "common denominator", to say it in maths :-)

Quote:
Can this directory be changed easily? Or would a softlink work (I guess I can't have a softlink on my FAT CF card to /mnt/free/download, but perhaps from /mnt/free/download to /mnt/cf/download?)
/mnt/free is a FAT partition too, so symlinks won't work. But you could try to change the paths in
1. /etc/download/framework and
2. /mnt/free/documents/downloader/manifest.xml

Please report if it works for you...

Quote:
Just a weird observation: After clicking on the iDS the first time (when my CF was ejected), and every time afterwards, the "Download history" shows "etc" and "tmp". They are clickable, too, allowing me to view the internal file system
Hmm, never seen this before. The download history resides in /mnt/settings/downloadhistory and is a collection of symlinks, so you might look into that directory...
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:01 PM   #34
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
This is from a recent Italian localization update.

BTW Thomas, after learning about how the recent downloads are tracked, I think we should update the autodownload scripts to record recent downloads.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #35
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thumbs down Feedbooks subscriptions plugin

Finally, it's exams time again for me, and so I need some things to waste my time on : Here's the Feedbooks subscriptions plugin. It will download your subscribed feeds to the iLiad. Some extra installation instructions:
  • You will have to install Ruby to get it working (that's what I ported it for )
  • Unzip the attachment and change the feedbooks-subscriptions/script/config.rb file (you have to add your Feedbooks username + password there)
  • Transfer the directory to /mnt/free/download (as usual)
Feeds will go to your newspapers folder (read from the device settings).

Have fun!

EDIT: Feedbooks has changed something at their API (HTTP Basic auth now requires the MD5 Hash). Please download the attached feedbooks-subscriptions_v2.zip and replace your old directory!
Attached Files
File Type: zip feedbooks-subscriptions_v2.zip (49.8 KB, 360 views)

Last edited by -Thomas-; 02-11-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Advert
Old 01-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #36
Hansgeorg
Hansgeorg began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello, I have an off-topic-question, I post it here because the idea might be a bit similar to your feedbook-plugin (@thomas)

I am looking for a tool, which allows me to

1. import full Webpage-Content via RSS (like the news2pdf.com-tool)
2. layout the content in a free way (if possible with own templates or stylesheets),
3. creates an PDF-output.

My Aim is to create a weekly magazin with my blog-content. There are some tools which do so (feedbooks, a more magazin-style is tabbloid.com or feedjournal.com).

I'm looking for such a tool for weeks now, and a hint would be very helpfull. Please note: I don't want an automattic tool, there are lots of them, what I want is a free Layoutfunction.

Thanks a lot!
Hansgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:51 AM   #37
wierengaa
wierengaa began at the beginning.

Device: irex 1000S
Hi all,

I've just launched a website called www.offlinereading.com where you can find download links (and podcast URL's) for the latest edition of many newspapers and magazines. This might simplify plugin development for Thomas' Automatic Download Tool (because you now have a 'fixed' URL for the PDF).

Anton
wierengaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #38
cheese
cheese began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
Here's the Feedbooks subscriptions plugin.
It will download your subscribed feeds to the iLiad.
Have fun!
Thanks for this Thomas, I tried it, running version 2.12, Software build number 21201.

I installed ruby 1.8.5 from your other post. And I'm getting this error - could this be the xml parser (REXML) issues mentioned by Hansel?

Your help would be appreciated.

the output from main_output.log:
Quote:
Feedbooks downloader
Trying to find newspapers storage from /mnt/settings/registry/registry.xml...
Setting found: /mnt/cf/newspapers
Feeds will be stored in /mnt/cf/newspapers/Feeds
Downloading subscriptions.xml...
Parsing subscriptions.xml...
the output from main_error.log:
Quote:
./feedbooks.rb:107: undefined method `each_element' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)

Last edited by cheese; 02-12-2009 at 12:54 AM.
cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #39
-Thomas-
Addict

Exclamation

Thanks for pointing me towards this. Feedbooks changed something at their API (they now require the MD5 hash of your password...), so the script gave this error. Either download the new version from my original posting or change the following two things at your script/feedbooks.rb:

1. Add a line after line #12:
Code:
require "digest/md5"
2. Change line #33 to
Code:
request.basic_auth @feedbooks_username, Digest::MD5.hexdigest(@feedbooks_password)

Last edited by -Thomas-; 02-11-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:17 AM   #40
cheese
cheese began at the beginning.

That's a worker, thanks alot!
cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #41
andreas h
andreas h began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
ORF.at

I created a plugin for the site of the Austrian televison company ORF (www.orf.at).
Thanks to thomas and his "Tagesschau" plugin, on which this one is based.

The plugin uses the site go.orf.at, which has a puristic design that I prefer for reading on the iLiad.
Attached Files
File Type: zip orf-downloader.zip (166.2 KB, 322 views)
andreas h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #42
mlc1
mlc1 began at the beginning.

Device: iliad 2nd edition
downloading news guardian24

Hi Thomas
I have installed the developer and mrxvt

internal memory automatic downloaders framework
when pressed dummy downloader appears
current status active
pressed button download now