Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Gerbilkit
Gerbilkit began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Best PDF E-reader Under $200

Yes I know there are many threads about these. I'm sorry, I've been reading through many of them but have yet to find useful recent information. Many of the most useful threads are still referencing products such as the Kindle DX which is no longer available.

I would like an e-reader that can read scanned PDF documents efficiently. That is PDFs in which each page is a scanned image not a searchable text. These are mostly scanned books, journals, or historical documents for class, they rarely feature anything more complicated than text so I'm not worried about how to handle images etc. I have a Kindle 4 which doesn't really work because the screen is small + the zoom options are too limited + physical buttons with no touch screen really doesn't work.

Annotations etc would be nice. My kindle has this but it is too clunky to be of any use. I never make annotations more complex than just underlines though. If I'm keeping track of stuff I will just use a piece of paper with page number notes which reminds me.

One of my major complaints for my kindle is the complete lack of page numbers. It makes it completely useless for literary analysis because I can't cite anything, and it isn't very easy to navigate. I have often wished that the % progress bar was a slider (and that page numbers were included). Huge bonus for anything that has this.

I am fully aware that a tablet computer will work. I don't want one.

Finally I don't really want to spend more than about $200. Obviously less is better.

Maybe no such product exists. Which would be too bad. But I thought it would be worth a try.

Last edited by Gerbilkit; 02-15-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Gerbilkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The Kindle includes page numbers for books that have them.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
thersites
Enthusiast
thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad & PocketBook 360
Does it have to be new? A gently used IREX would be worth considering in that price range. Not the latest & greatest, but solid, big, and probably reasonably had on e-bay (I have no idea what a DR 1000 would go for, but that or the 800 should work for price & check all your boxes).

I still occasionally use my old Iliad when I want to read pdfs, and don't find it too slow at page refreshes. The 10" screen of the DR 1000 would be just about perfect, and the speed of either the DR 800 or 1000 would be better.
thersites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Many of the most useful threads are still referencing products such as the Kindle DX which is no longer available.
You may be interested in a refurbished Kindle DX. This one is $139. I bought a refurbished Kindle Keyboard to keep in my car from this seller a few weks ago, and the item arrived quickly and welll packaged in great condition.
They sell quite a few, but, as you said, they don't always show page numbers.

Last edited by xendula; 02-24-2013 at 10:08 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ONLY:

Keep in mind that the Kindle DX was not the current model that was discontinued, but the previous model. [Both models, of course, are now discontinued.]

If you are seriously considering the larger Amazon unit, then you need to do some research on BOTH large-screen Kindles, in order to see if they will do what you need to do.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-25-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
A tablet, I guess. The Nexus or a Fire (rooted, I imagine). I read pdfs on a sony 650 with prs+ and that works okay (has lots of zoom control options).
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ONLY:

Keep in mind that the Kindle DX was not the current model that was discontinued, but the previous model. [Both models, of course, are now discontinued.]

If you are seriously considering the larger Amazon unit, then you need to do some research on BOTH large-screen Kindles, in order to see if they will do what you need to do.

Don
Basically, only difference between Kindle Dx White and Kindle DX Graphite is screen contrast, which is better in graphite version.

They say it's 7:1 on white and 10:1 on graphite.
In practice it means a whiter background.

Those who would like to read A4 sized pdf's on Kindle DX should also immediatelly install kindlepdfviewer because it is much better pdf reader than native one and it also reads djvu, epub, cbz and some other files.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047

Last edited by markom; 03-01-2013 at 05:32 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
One of the best readers now is Kindle Fire HD
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you are going to get a current e-reader by one of the big producers, get a Sony. They seem to be the only that support reflow of pdfs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the current Amazon releases support pdfs very poorly, and the same id definately true of Kobo.

Also, ezPDF for Android seems to work well for different sized screens. It might be worth rooting a Nook or maybe even a Sony to run it. But make sure it will work first.

Last edited by Rizla; 03-04-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
If you are going to get a current e-reader by one of the big producers, get a Sony. They seem to be the only that support reflow of pdfs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the current Amazon releases support pdfs very poorly, and the same id definately true of Kobo.

Also, ezPDF for Android seems to work well for different sized screens. It might be worth rooting a Nook or maybe even a Sony to run it. But make sure it will work first.
The OP stated that they need a reader for scanned images, basically, so a large screen is pretty much the only thing that would makes sense here.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
The OP stated that they need a reader for scanned images, basically, so a large screen is pretty much the only thing that would makes sense here.
I use a 650 to view scanned images, both text and comics. The best method where possible is to do it in landscape mode because the device splits the image in half and therefore conveniently magnifies. Admittedly its not ideal.

Last edited by Rizla; 03-04-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:25 AM   #12
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I would look for some second hand tablets.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post

No need to hack a Nook to run ezPDF: Just buy the program from B&N.

Don
Old 03-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
No need to hack a Nook to run ezPDF: Just buy the program from B&N.
Don
Do you mean on the tablet or e-ink e-reader?

In any case, here is a video showing pdf reading on a stock and rooted nook using various apps. Interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayAcdHuI5hw

Prs+ on a x50 Sony is the only thing that might compare.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I have a Nook color and ezPDF, but it's now retired and used only by my 3-year old.

I now use the Kindle Fire HD with ezPDF.

Don