Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
khronos78
khronos78 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Some images don't display on pdf in iTunes/iPad/iPhone

Hi all,

I've been crawling the web for 2 hours but I can't find any help with a very strange problem which I seem to be the only one in the world to have :-(

My iPad can read most pdf fine (comics scans, text & image mix, full text...) but on some pdf files several images are missing. The rest is displayed correctly
- iTunes seems to have the same problem since images on the cover are not displayed correctly. The popular tool Calibre has the same problem.
- it does not seem to be a matter of pdf reader, i've tried them all (stanza, cloudreader, ibooks, bookstand...)
- it does not seem to be my computer, I've tried on another one, same problem.
- I doubt it is linked to the iPad since Calibre or iTunes have the same problem displaying images, plus it's the same problem on my iphone
- It doesn't seem to be a matter of size (it never is anyway...), 10 pages & 300k seems manageable.
- BUT the pdf is displayed fine in adobe pdf reader !!!
- Interestingly the images that can't be displayed also can't be extracted by tools such as pdftohtml.exe

I've tried everything, change the pdf version (upgrade / downgrade), split the file, conversion to epub is a mess...my opinion is that there's something with the pdf file (which is a short summary of 10 documentaries btw)

Here is the file, it's not that I absolutly need it, I just can't understand what's wrong...plus it happened on some other files :-(

If anyone has an idea ?
Thanks in advance.
Rgds
Khro

Last edited by khronos78; 08-04-2010 at 04:52 PM.
khronos78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Hmmm... A bunch of hoopla about a security hole in iOS handling of PDFs, and a few days later, a brand new member of our community pops up with a troublesome PDF they would like tested on various iOS devices...

Nahhh, nothing suspicious about that at all.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
khronos78

lol I was not aware that security hole. I have unfortunately no way to prove my honesty, excepted to provide the source of the full pdf file : http://www.kk.org/cooltools/tf3-registered.pdf, from kevin kelly true film website : http://www.kk.org/truefilms/. Btw the pdf was created in 2007 so I guess the author was not aware of the security hole...

Actually I'm indeed new, I tried to find the biggest forum of ipad readers since they would be the most likely to have encountered the same problem, I understand this is suspicious, if someone can help and require any kind of proof I can provide I'll gladly do it :-) (I dunno...taking a picture of my ipad opening the file ? pwah)

Last edited by khronos78; 08-04-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
khronos78

Ha, same issue with google docs :

public link

Oh well, I wrote to the author of the book as well, maybe he'll have an idea :-(

Last edited by khronos78; 08-04-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Hi Khronos -

I had the same problem with one pdf. It was a heavily illustrated ebook that showed up fine on my computer. But on my iPad, the illustrations were blank pages.

Mr Google does have the answer. He sent me to

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=516459

where they discuss this issue. It's to do with jpeg vs jpeg2000.

On that forum, they also point to the Goodreader faq. Here's a quote from the Goodreader trouble shooting faq:
---------------------------------------
I see blank pages in my PDF file, but it shows fine on my Mac/PC There are two main reasons for this:
JPEG2000 image compression. This compression used in some PDF files can't be understood by current versions of iPhone OS (and GoodReader heavily relies on its capabilities). However, there's a very easy workaround for that.
If you have a Mac computer, open this PDF file in Mac's standard Preview application, go to File menu and select Save As command. Then resave this file as a new PDF (just make sure to change a file name, to preserve the original file unchanged). The new PDF file will be formatted in iPhone-friendly way.
If you have a PC computer, the solution would be to reassemble a file in Adobe Acrobat software (or other) replacing JPEG2000 image compression with more conventional JPEG. Print your file to a special Adobe PDF printer (installed by Acrobat). Make sure that inside this printer's settings, on Images tab two first Compression fields don't show JPEG2000. If they do, change them to JPEG.
-----------------------------------------------

End quote.

What I did with my own troublesome pdf was:

*Launch the pdf using Adobe PDF Reader.
*Go to file/print and select "Adobe PDF" as the printer.
*Go to Properties/Adobe PDF Settings
*In Adobe PDF Output folder, select a location on the computer for the output.

The newly created pdf displayed correctly in iBooks on my iPad.

I'm using Adobe Reader Pro v8 and Adobe Reader v9 on Win XP. I hope this helps with whatever programs you are using.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
khronos78

It worked !

Thanks a lot for helping me and for PM me, I had given up thinking GntlmnBndt's intervention had killed it in the egg (I can understand though...bad timing for me).
I still wonder why so few people encounter this problem, I have it on several different PDF and I spent like 3 hours querying google without any result ("images don't display ipad pdf", ...). It is the first time I hear about the jpeg2000 format. I feel I'm just getting old...

Well I guess the next me will find this thread & solution faster

Thanks again,
Rgds
Khro
---
ps : Btw great forum for ipad readers...I'll lurk here for a while :-)
Old 08-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
srcooke
srcooke began at the beginning.

Device: none
I had a similar issue where someone here created the pdf in Quark 6.5. Everyone can read the pdf except the ipad users. I first opened it in Acrobat Pro and saved it. That did not help, but when I printed it to a pdf, it fixed it. The new problem is the pages are all turned in different directions. Once I fixed that, it looks good.
srcooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:58 AM   #8
Daddy Warpig
Enthusiast
Daddy Warpig began at the beginning.

Device: iPad & iPhone
For those using a Mac:

1.) Open the PDF in Preview (OS X default PDF display program).

2.) Select File and Save As…

3.) Save the document (with a new name or not).

The newly save document displays as it should (even on the iPad).
Daddy Warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
Another solution:
1. Open PDF in Adobe Acrobat (not reader)
2. Save as postscript file (*.ps)
3. Save a postscript file as PDF.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
Pannja
Pannja began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Still having trouble with the PDFs

Hey guys,
I was very hopeful when I encountered this thread but neither of the solutions seem to work for me.
I am trying to study for exams and the PDFs that open without a problem on my Mac on adobe reader don't show half the text and or images on my iPad.
So I tried to open them on Preview on my Mac, and same thing: text and images missing.
I wanted to follow hel's suggestion but adobe only let's me save the PDF as text, word, rich text or excel files.
I really appreciate any help, so I can go back to studying
Best,
Janne
Pannja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:10 AM   #11
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Hi Pannja,

Have you tried re-exporting to pdf on your Mac? If you display the pdf file with Preview, then print to pdf, in theory this should allow you to generate a new pdf file, maybe this one will read OK on your iPad? Not sure this will work, but you never know.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote