Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #886
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HxS View Post
Oh okay that's good to hear! I downloaded it and after just restarting my kindle, I got the screensaver that says it was a success to show up. Now I am trying to make it so the cover of my last read book appears as my screensaver. I placed a blank .txt file named "cover" in the linkss folder located at the root of the Kindle, but I am not having success with the cover actually showing up when the kindle is locked. Instead I continue to see the success screen for the ScreenSavers hack. Perhaps I'm making an obvious mistake, but I am not having much luck getting it to work.
1) Did you install python?
2) The blank file named 'cover' should have NO extension...easiest to copy and then rename a blank file already provided in the hack.
3) you need to leave the book open for 10-20 seconds for the screensaver to render...not a quick open and close drive-by.
4) Read the troubleshooting post linked in the the first post of this thread.
5) If none of these work, give more info.

Good Luck!

Last edited by GoSharks; 12-20-2013 at 06:23 PM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #887
HxS
HxS began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Okay I followed your steps to create the blank file, and I have achieved success! Thank you all for being so helpful and positive while helping me! I really appreciate it.
HxS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #888
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@HxS: For future reference, using KUAL is also a good way to handle all those pesky settings easily .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #889
wqnnqwqn
wqnnqwqn began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw2
I really run out of ideas now

Hello guys! I just got my new kindle paperwhite 2 and it is really amazing device and it is good to know there is somebody working on it for hacking

But after jailbreak, I start my hands on screensaver hack. Everything should be nicely done.(both python & linkss) the screensaver includes the default sit nicely in the screensaver folder. But for some reason my screen saver is still the amazon factory screen savers(though ive proceed rebooting)

Any ideas on what is actually going on then?
wqnnqwqn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #890
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@wqnnqwqn: Have you checked the FAQ?
Advert
Old 12-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #891
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@NiLuJe-
Curiosity.... are there Waterstone PW2s with the same screensaver hack issuses as the other models?
Old 12-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #892
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@GoSharks: I have no idea, not having been in the UK for quite a while now .

That said, the hack should handle those devices correctly now, there's a magic KUAL setting that pops up for these devices in the hack's KUAL extension .
Old 12-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #893
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@GoSharks: I have no idea, not having been in the UK for quite a while now .

That said, the hack should handle those devices correctly now, there's a magic KUAL setting that pops up for these devices in the hack's KUAL extension .
So...instead of going to the UK and finding out, you simply resorted to 'magic' and avoided the whole issue. I guess that's one way to do it....
Old 12-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #894
wqnnqwqn
wqnnqwqn began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw2
Merry Xmas!

Hiya! Thanks for the link!

I can confirm that I and in default screensavers situation and I think the progress of installation does not have any problems.(at least it does not show any errors and it create the folder correctly and some default png as well. I tried to re-install it but it does not help. I tried to switch to cover mode by putting an empty file it does not have any respond at all(still default pics). Any solutions?

Last edited by wqnnqwqn; 12-25-2013 at 11:12 AM.
wqnnqwqn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #895
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Are you sure you don't happen to have a "special offers" device?
Old 12-26-2013, 04:03 AM   #896
timefire
timefire began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
NiLuJe thank you for your faq it cleared up why my k5 has been stuck.

Just tossing this out there wqnnqwqn. I have, had now, a SO kindle touch. I called amazon yesterday and told them I opted for SO because I wanted the exclusive offers which have stopped. I asked if they could remove it. The tech guy told me to consider it a christmas gift from amazon and waived the fee. I looked around first and it seems like whether they waive the fee is up to your tech persons fancy.

Point being if you have a SO and call asking them to remove the fees because they have not been putting out exclusive offers you might get lucky and have them waive it for free.
timefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #897
Bookbear
Bookbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
OK, perhaps I am just especially dense this evening, but I am puzzled here.... I get that (for the Kindle Papwerwhite2), one has to install the jailbreak hack (v1.8.N) first, unzipping it to the Kindle's root directory, and that the images I will use for the screensaver must be loaded to the the linkss/screensavers folder that the screensaver hack creates automatically upon installation; but where do I unzip the screensaver hack (v0.16.N) to? The root directory?
Inquiring minds want to know.....

Thanks in advance for any help given!
Bookbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #898
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Bookbear:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
First, upload the appropriate install .bin file for your device (update_linkss_0.16.N_install_pw2.bin for a PW2, the other one for a Touch or a PW1) to the root directory of your Kindle.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:54 AM   #899
Nikkifx
Nikkifx began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Hi i have a 90D4-Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi (US, Intl)-PW2 and i believe i have successfully installed the jailbreak because i did see the *jailbroken* text and was able to install python 0.9 on it because i see the python folder on my kindle however i cannot seem to install the screensaver hack (linkss_0.16.N_install_pw2) because the "update your kindle" is greyed out. any tips?
Nikkifx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #900
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Nikkifx: Make sure you don't have an official update pending.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch