Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 02:19 AM   #1
altzone
altzone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.altzone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.altzone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.altzone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.altzone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
iRiver Story HD Video Review & Teardown

Hi
I have just uploaded my iRiver Story HD review and teardown videos:

The review is mainly concerned with comparing it to the Kindle 3.

Regards
Dave.

Last edited by altzone; 07-22-2011 at 02:22 AM.
altzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks for the review. I also bought the iRiver HD, and listening to your review (I downloaded the audio so I could hear it on my drive home) confirmed some concerns I was having - especially the ghosting. It's a real problem and is much worse than the Kindle or Nook STR. It's a real shame, because I absolutely love the increased resolution.
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
wilsonch
Enthusiast
wilsonch is on a distinguished road

Device: Various Androids; Kindle Touch; Nook GlowLight Plus 7.8
FWIW the only ghosting I can evoke on my Story HD is if I am on a text page (i.e., real text and not a scanned image of text) and I go from there straight to a scanned image page (for instance, at the beginning of the Jane Austen book that comes with the Story HD) then I have a faint light ghost of the text (i.e., a reverse ghost) within the boundaries of the image (in this case a picture of the title page or cover). I was unable to recreate the dark ghosting commented upon by the reviewer in the video.

Last edited by wilsonch; 07-22-2011 at 09:57 PM. Reason: wording
wilsonch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Ghosting has definitely been a problem for me. I especially notice it if there are any graphical elements or long lines (like in a table.) I've decided to return it, and the K3 will be my next experiment
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
wilsonch
Enthusiast
wilsonch is on a distinguished road

Device: Various Androids; Kindle Touch; Nook GlowLight Plus 7.8
The tiny numbers that mystified and distressed the video reviewer by their apparent inconsistent behavior are page numbers from the original book. For users who want to do footnotes, the original page number is very useful. For the vast majority of users they are superfluous and therefore it is appropriate that they are tiny. BTW, I am a footnoter.
wilsonch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for the video and pictures. I have opened up my Story HD today as well. It's the basic version without Wifi. No surprises really, it looks to be the very same board just without the wifi chip (in your picture the yellowish one in the upper right corner). The antenna is missing as well, naturally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	storyhdbasic-small.jpg
Views:	1289
Size:	877.3 KB
ID:	79525   Click image for larger version

Name:	storyhdbasic-back-small.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	81598  

Last edited by frostschutz; 01-22-2012 at 01:24 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote