Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 06:02 AM   #10801
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
3. Australia? I had great fun ribbing my brother-in-law who lives in Oz about their comparitively poor performance vs. the Brits

Intrigued to find out what the "Toddler's Truce" was.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #10802
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Even though I don't really care about [American] football I am originally from San Francisco and was living there while Joe Montana was the SF quarterback.

I should know this I suppose, but I will just hazard the guess that Lincoln was the 16th president?
Advert
Old 02-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #10803
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I think it was the ace of spades and clubs, not sure but perhaps the eights were the same?
Yes, according to my source it was black aces and eights. The fifth card was the deuce of spades, but there seems to be great variation for that among different accounts.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #10804
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
3. Australia? I had great fun ribbing my brother-in-law who lives in Oz about their comparitively poor performance vs. the Brits

Intrigued to find out what the "Toddler's Truce" was.
Australia is correct.

The "Toddler's Truce" is an interesting one (IMHO) and is probably just about guessable from the name and the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Even though I don't really care about [American] football I am originally from San Francisco and was living there while Joe Montana was the SF quarterback.

I should know this I suppose, but I will just hazard the guess that Lincoln was the 16th president?
It was Joe Montana and it was Lincoln - both correct.

With just the "Toddler's Truce" to identify, it's two to Hamlet and one each to Orlok and Geoff.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #10805
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
2. Masada ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Very quick and very correct. One to Geoff.
I would have said Manasseh and gotten that one wrong.

4. Abraham Lincoln was the 16th US President.

I have reached the end of my knowledge.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #10806
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post

I'm always failing to notice that there's another page in the thread.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #10807
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I would have said Manasseh and gotten that one wrong.

4. Abraham Lincoln was the 16th US President.

Quote:
I'm always failing to notice that there's another page in the thread.
At least you got it right
Old 02-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #10808
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Forever!!!???

Was the Toddler's Truce something to do with not having to send them to play/pre school?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #10809
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Forever!!!???

Was the Toddler's Truce something to do with not having to send them to play/pre school?
No. But it was connected with sending them somewhere.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #10810
orlok
Close to the Edit!

The dentist?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #10811
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The barber? My three-year old seems to be absolutely terrified of scissors for some reason.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #10812
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
The dentist?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
The barber? My three-year old seems to be absolutely terrified of scissors for some reason.
No. My son was terrified of having his hair cut as well when he was younger. My wife and I had to literally hold him down while my Mum cut it. My Dad had to leave the house as he found it so traumatising!

There's another place (much nearer home) that kids don't like being sent to. The "Toddler's Truce" was something designed to make it easier to get them there.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #10813
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
London Olympics; China?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #10814
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
London Olympics; China?
Sorry, orlok already got that one. It was Australia.

Looks like number 5 might have stumped you all. The "Toddler's Truce" was the term used for the fact that no TV at all was broadcast between 6 and 7pm in the UK up until that date. It was supposed to allow parents time to get the children to bed.

Hamlet, with two correct, takes the win.

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 02-08-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #10815
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
People could get their children to bed by 7:00pm? Yikes. I am failing on that one miserably.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote