Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
Good Book (non-technical) on Jazz??

Hi guys, I've been listening to a lot of jazz on online radio stations nowadays and seem to have developed a liking for the stuff . I was wondering if there was some book out there which puts the whole Jazz music phenomenon and the people involved into perspective and maybe gives some info about various sub-genres and their evolution. I'm not looking for a technical book with notations which would tell you how to play, a more layman's musical history perhaps. Jazz seems to be the kind of music you'd appreciate better by knowing a bit more about it.
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The companion book to the Ken Burns documentary (which you really should watch) is not available as an ebook, but would be worth reading. It has a lot of pictures so it wouldn't display well on e-ink anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Americas-...0088659&sr=1-1
BenG is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Hi,

I don't know of any particular books, I have a few on the history of jazz but I'm not sure they are really what you are after.

My recommendation to you is actually a podcast called 'Jazz Insights' you can find it by searching in the iTunes store, I'm not sure if there is a plain RSS feed but you can also find the archives on the website here: http://1690wmlb.com/features/jazz-insights/

It's a really fascinating series to listen to, and given that it's audio he can play snippets of the pieces he is talking about which makes it all the more useful. There's stuff right through from 'what is jazz' to short biographies of various artists.

Really recommend it if you want to learn a little more about Jazz.

I'd also head to the forums at http://www.allaboutjazz.com which are full of useful info, links and friendly people.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Thank you guys!

BenG: quick question: can you read the book as a standalone or do you need to watch the documentary as well? I'll hunt around for it after I'm through with some travel

weateallthepies (delicious name btw): Amazing archive, I wasn't even thinking along those lines but this seems to be exactly what I'm looking for (although I'll have to find the space for it when I travel)! I shall also check out that website sometime.

Thanks again guys
Old 11-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
No probs. Have just checked and it looks like the archive on the website isn't as complete as the feed in iTunes so I'd recommend downloading through iTunes if you can. It's in the iTunesU section but if you search it should be obvious.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
adity, I recommend this jazz website forum:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/index

Many intelligent guys who can answer your questions, including recommending books.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
'Jazz Appreciation' was, as a musician myself at the time, one of my favorite college classes. It was worthy of a semester of study. The rabbit hole is as deep as you want it to be.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
As a musician who plays the stuff it's nice to know someone actually appreciates it! All of the above seem to be good suggestions, and of course the best way is to listen to as much as possible.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:50 PM   #9
adityadubey
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by weateallthepies View Post
No probs. Have just checked and it looks like the archive on the website isn't as complete as the feed in iTunes so I'd recommend downloading through iTunes if you can. It's in the iTunesU section but if you search it should be obvious.
Hmm, I've got the archives right now, will check it out on iTunes as well. Thanks for checking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
adity, I recommend this jazz website forum:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/index

Many intelligent guys who can answer your questions, including recommending books.
Thanks! Will check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
'Jazz Appreciation' was, as a musician myself at the time, one of my favorite college classes. It was worthy of a semester of study. The rabbit hole is as deep as you want it to be.
I know! That's why I stopped reading up on Wikipedia and am hunting for a single source which can get me started before I delve deeper Oooh and I love this kind of rabbit hole as long as you don't have to take a test and the reading is for pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
As a musician who plays the stuff it's nice to know someone actually appreciates it! All of the above seem to be good suggestions, and of course the best way is to listen to as much as possible.
Yes I've been listening to it a lot over the past few months, although I must admit it did take a while before I could identify particular tunes and artistes!
I think Jazz and the Blues are way way better than any of the hip-hop out there nowadays. Now that's one genre I simply do not get, don't think reading will help with that one. .
Old 11-18-2010, 11:54 PM   #10
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadubey View Post
Thank you guys!

BenG: quick question: can you read the book as a standalone or do you need to watch the documentary as well? I'll hunt around for it after I'm through with some travel
You don't need to watch the documentary series to enjoy the book.
BenG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadubey View Post

Yes I've been listening to it a lot over the past few months, although I must admit it did take a while before I could identify particular tunes and artistes!
I think Jazz and the Blues are way way better than any of the hip-hop out there nowadays. Now that's one genre I simply do not get, don't think reading will help with that one. .
Oddly enough (and I am not young), I actually don't mind hip hop. It is a lot more interesting than those synthetic girly-pop tunes that all sound the same/ have the same video clip/ are probably overdubbed by someone in a studio and lip-synched by a Paris Hilton clone in a bikini.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:31 PM   #12
adityadubey
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
It is a lot more interesting than those synthetic girly-pop tunes that all sound the same/ have the same video clip/ are probably overdubbed by someone in a studio and lip-synched by a Paris Hilton clone in a bikini.
I'd totally forgotten about those (thank goodness ) I rarely watch TV and most of my exposure to new music is via the internet . It becomes easier to avoid that trash, outta sight, outta mind!

I do enjoy some hip hop, but its very little and I've never felt like exploring the stuff and listening to more. I just feel there's way more bad hip hop than good hip hop out there and the bad hip hop seems to get plenty of airtime.

P.S. not to offend any of you hardcore fans out there, this is just my personal opinion and obviously personal tastes and preferences will differ.