Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #1411
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
KA1:
-when books are sorted by alphabet, a way to jump to the letter in the alphabet (the way the Ko2 had) instead of having to guess which page of the library the book is on.
-on the home screen, the option of showing title and author rather than just thumbnails
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:19 AM   #1412
DonatelloTHM
DonatelloTHM began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Something like vocabulary builder would be more than welcome.
DonatelloTHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2017, 09:07 PM   #1413
Nemo1984
Connoisseur
Nemo1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
A option to disable de left backlight sliding adjustement. I always trip it.
Nemo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #1414
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo1984 View Post
A option to disable de left backlight sliding adjustement. I always trip it.
You can already do that. I'm not sure which firmware introduced it but in 4.2.8432 you can manually edit your .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf file to include the line
Code:
swipeBrightness=false
in the section headed
Code:
[Reading]
If you're a Windows user you'll need to use a decent text editor (e.g. Notepad++, which can handle Unix line endings) to do it.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #1415
linshi
Enthusiast
linshi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
auto-trim/crop margins for pdf files.
linshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2017, 04:18 PM   #1416
fabrice91
fabrice91 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Show battery state with % in stat view instead of full/empty battery icon
fabrice91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:52 PM   #1417
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrice91 View Post
Show battery state with % in stat view instead of full/empty battery icon
Sorry, what's the "stat view"?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:10 AM   #1418
fabrice91
fabrice91 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, what's the "stat view"?
ok I'm wrong, its not only the stat view.
The stat view is the screen with length of chapters, time to read the current chapter, time to read the next chapter, time to read the full book...
You can access it with a tap on the screen for the menu then the bar icon on the bottom of the screen.
The battery icons appears at the top of the screen with the light and parameters (...) icon (top right) and the home icon (top left)
I said I was wrong because this "top menu" appears in stat view but also in "police and font view".
Anyway ! I was talking about the battery icon at the top of the screen. I want % of battery at this place. It may be easier than to hit the ... parameters icon to view it (you need 2 taps while reading a book)
fabrice91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #1419
egoat
egoat began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura h2o
I have a h2o

my requests would be sorted by priority

1. Make an easily manageable folder option that whatever you put in the certain folder from pc you could find in kobo in same folder without using calibre or anything else. Basically you could put things into collections directly from pc instead of going through the adding books inside the kobo.

2. Have some static option for main screen.

3. I don't know if I can jump to bookmarks or back so if it's possible put it somewhere with easy access.

4. It'd be great if you could change the sleep screen without tweaking the software and possibly harm it. I mean it's so easy to put fonts in kobo and I wish putting sleep screen pictures would be similar.
egoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #1420
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoat View Post
1. Make an easily manageable folder option that whatever you put in the certain folder from pc you could find in kobo in same folder without using calibre or anything else. Basically you could put things into collections directly from pc instead of going through the adding books inside the kobo.
Much as I know you want this, it isn't going to happen. It just doesn't fit with the way the device works. If you want it, there is a hack to do it in the developers forum.
Quote:
2. Have some static option for main screen.
I so dislike this idea that it makes me shudder
Quote:
3. I don't know if I can jump to bookmarks or back so if it's possible put it somewhere with easy access.
Unless I completely misunderstand what you mean, I don't know what the point of bookmarks would be if you couldn't jump to them. And the access is from the Annotations list.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:22 AM   #1421
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Unless I completely misunderstand what you mean, I don't know what the point of bookmarks would be if you couldn't jump to them. And the access is from the Annotations list.
Hmm. Just a stray thought, but it might not be a terrible idea to have the subset of Annotations which are bookmarks show up as navigation options from the double-ended-arrow button. Redundant, yes, but possibly useful - especially if one is in the habit of making highlights and notes that make the Annotations list less useful for finding bookmarks.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:02 AM   #1422
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Hmm. Just a stray thought, but it might not be a terrible idea to have the subset of Annotations which are bookmarks show up as navigation options from the double-ended-arrow button. Redundant, yes, but possibly useful - especially if one is in the habit of making highlights and notes that make the Annotations list less useful for finding bookmarks.
A way to skip through the bookmarks would be good. But, I'd want it to go through annotations and highlights as well.

And the annotations list already has filter to just show one type at a time.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:34 AM   #1423
egoat
egoat began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura h2o
Quote:
Much as I know you want this, it isn't going to happen. It just doesn't fit with the way the device works. If you want it, there is a hack to do it in the developers forum.
I don't want to do any hacks, I'm sure they work but once I done one I'd want another and another until I possibly tweak with something I shouldn't have. The reason I want this that when I put some huge amount of files I catalog them inside kobo which only happened once, otherwise it's not that big of a deal really.

Quote:
I so dislike this idea that it makes me shudder
I meant it as an option, I know it's not so hard to access your collections but what's the point of seeing them on the main screen only to finish some stuff and lose them again. What'd be better if you could lock certain things and they'd added on the certain spots in the row, you could see all your collection folders at once. The folder clickable things are small too so you can possibly fill one row with 8-9 of them and you'd keep the other 2 rows as static if you want.

Quote:
Oh yeah, that works great, I didn't know that was there so my mistake. Still learning about the device. So far it didn't even go down on 50% battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
That was exactly what I expected, I thought there'd be little bookmark icons along the line and you could click and jump/jump back wherever you are. I mean that line has so much space on top and on the bottom of it it doesn't look like the white space is there for only aesthetic reasons.

Which reminds me of the necessity of that custom sleep screen, I put bunch of old gravure illustrations and paintings together to see how they'd look on the screen and they looked great, also when I checked I saw some other people requesting that too, I hope they'll make it available.
egoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 05:52 AM   #1424
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoat View Post
I don't want to do any hacks, I'm sure they work but once I done one I'd want another and another until I possibly tweak with something I shouldn't have. The reason I want this that when I put some huge amount of files I catalog them inside kobo which only happened once, otherwise it's not that big of a deal really.
With that description, use calibre. Do all your cataloguing there. And then configure the driver to create the collections you want when sending the books to the device.

As to the autoshelf hack, it is very safe and seems to work well. I don't use it, as I use calibre for equivalent function.
Quote:
I meant it as an option, I know it's not so hard to access your collections but what's the point of seeing them on the main screen only to finish some stuff and lose them again. What'd be better if you could lock certain things and they'd added on the certain spots in the row, you could see all your collection folders at once. The folder clickable things are small too so you can possibly fill one row with 8-9 of them and you'd keep the other 2 rows as static if you want.
Being able to lock a tile on the screen could be handy. But, I tend to dismiss tiles I'm not going to use again so that the tiles that remain are more useful.
Quote:
Oh yeah, that works great, I didn't know that was there so my mistake. Still learning about the device. So far it didn't even go down on 50% battery.
My habit is to explore any new device I get. And I look at everything again with each new firmware version. And as you are a new Kobo user, I posted the UI standards some time ago. It might give you a hint of what can be done.
Quote:
Which reminds me of the necessity of that custom sleep screen, I put bunch of old gravure illustrations and paintings together to see how they'd look on the screen and they looked great, also when I checked I saw some other people requesting that too, I hope they'll make it available.
It has been a popular request, but Kobo don't seem to be interested. If you do want to display an image as the sleep screen, you can open the image before putting the device to sleep. It does mean you have to close the current book, but it depends on what you are after.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:02 AM   #1425
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
And the annotations list already has filter to just show one type at a time.
Huh. So it does.

Confession: I don't use bookmark annotations often. I typically use annotations for editing purposes, highlighting mistakes and sometimes adding notes to clarify what needs done - and then I go straight through the list when making the changes. Between a proper TOC and the search function, I don't generally have trouble finding my place in a book.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo