Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 02:32 AM   #16
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post

And Dulin, love ya man, but I ain't buying into the cost of a 5" panel STILL being $50-$60 after, what, 2-3yrs since the iSuppli teardown cost of the Kindle (I think it was the K2) placed whole sale cost of a 6" panel at $60 back then. .
6-8 months ago I thought 6" displays were still @ $60? I could be wrong- its been known to happen Ill see if I can get someone to get mean actual current volume price on a 5" display.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:16 AM   #17
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
6-8 months ago I thought 6" displays were still @ $60? I could be wrong- its been known to happen Ill see if I can get someone to get mean actual current volume price on a 5" display.
Thanks...in case someone didn't find the old iSuppli K2 teardown price here is a link:

http://www.isuppli.com/News/Pages/Am...n-Reveals.aspx

The costs were from April 2009, so slightly over a year ago, I thought it had been in 2008. Anyway, they did have the cost of the 6" panel used in the K2 at $60...so even your estimate of $45-$50ish sounds high for the current market, especially given the number of devices being produced today compared to about the same time last year.

Plus like Amazon has done with their combining the $100 credit toward any device or device accessory associated with playing Audible ebooks. Also Sony's $100ish price drop to clear out inventory combined with the Amazon option show it's very possible to get very close to the $100 price point and that is for a device with all the bells & whistles. A plain Jane reader w/o wifi or MBB access should cost even less....of course that is unless the mfg's apply a different cost to a component when defending their current prices and the inability to lower prices to that magic sub-$100 point. CPU are pretty much free these days, the display controller should be dropping in price just like the screens themselves...assuming PVI as well as Epson and whoever Epson is sub-contracting the controllers out to have increased line efficiency.

It just does not seem to make sense to me by this point in time with e-ink brand panels as well as the newer competing brands that are coming to the market Real Soon Now (to quote Jerry Pournelle...one of my fav quotes of his always used sarcastically of course... ).

And really thanks for double checking on the prices...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #18
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Not for me!
Not for me either. However if WalMart marketed a $50 reader, tied to a WalMart ebook store... Boom!
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #19
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
That would be great. We don't pay customs taxes for anythink below €150 here in Turkey.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #20
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
Not for me either. However if WalMart marketed a $50 reader, tied to a WalMart ebook store... Boom!
why wally world?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #21
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
why wally world?
No specific reason other than they are a world known brand and associated with discounted prices.

There are dozens of e-readers out there cheaper than the nook, kindle or iPad, but those are the price points most people think of when they hear ereader.

When I started researching them for myself I only knew about Sony, Kindle and nook and at the time, I didn't think Sony had an e-ink screen. Then I found this forum and realized I just scratched the surface. It set me back about 5 months!

However if you load up an endcap with cheap ereaders around back to school shopping or Christmas shopping and you'll pick up a lot of impulse buys.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #22
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I believe wally world exercises a fair amount of censoring in what they sell in their book department. I don't think I would want to be tied to them for anything
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #23
Rich_D
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I believe wally world exercises a fair amount of censoring in what they sell in their book department. I don't think I would want to be tied to them for anything
I don't shop in WalMart for anything, but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of other people do.

Besides Apple censors what can go on their product - people are still buying it.

eReaders need to hit the casual reader market to really make an impact.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #24
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
I don't shop in WalMart for anything, but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of other people do.

Besides Apple censors what can go on their product - people are still buying it.

eReaders need to hit the casual reader market to really make an impact.
Apple is censoring their iBooks Store catalog as well as apps?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #25
Rich_D
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Apple is censoring their iBooks Store catalog as well as apps?
I don't think they are censoring iBooks, but they did try to censor a graphic of Ulysses, and then flipped their position after the story was released in the media. There was a post about it on MR. My comment was directed to the general censorship of apps. To me, all censorship is bad.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #26
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
I don't think they are censoring iBooks, but they did try to censor a graphic of Ulysses, and then flipped their position after the story was released in the media. There was a post about it on MR. My comment was directed to the general censorship of apps. To me, all censorship is bad.
Well, there has to be *some* reason why the iBooks selection sucks so badly
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #27
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I think we overestimate the attraction of eink devices, based on our personal experiences.

It's true, that even at the $359 I paid for my Kindle early last year, I could justify the expense because I read a lot (or aspire to...), and used to spend $20-30 per book on a regular basis, and the non eink devices and ebook stores then didn't stack up very well. But even at $50, something that is good only for long form reading is not an attractive proposition except to heavy readers who have not yet made the move to digital, or are looking for a backup e-reader. All it will do is cannibalize the non-digital book sales, it won't make readers out of people who aren't, and it won't keep the tablet/smartphone/media gizmo market from exploding.

Occasional readers will be happy with reading on their iPhones or iPads or Android device, now that they have, or will soon have, access to a number of ebook sellers and associated free reading applications. For myself, I think it is very likely that the next generation iPod Touch (326dpi screen) will replace my Kindle for on-the-road reading. A 5-6" eink screen is not portable enough, and for more specialized reading (eg PDFs, magazines, newspapers, manga/comics) is not nimble enough. And I don't know that a 3.5" eink screen would sell well as a dedicated reading device, though that might be an interesting attempt to achieve a $50 price point and improve portability.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-16-2010 at 02:25 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #28
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
There are dozens of e-readers out there cheaper than the nook, kindle or iPad, but those are the price points most people think of when they hear ereader.
The iPad is not an e-reader. It's a multimedia playback device that also happens to have an ereader app or two.

I don't know where you shop, but I sure don't have access to "dozens of e-readers" cheaper than the Nook or Kindle. Those are both $259; the cheapest Aztak device at Best Buy is $289 in Canada; Kobo is $149. The Sony e-readers are $199 on sale and closer to double most days of the week.

$149 is already a pretty great deal for a basic reader that allows you to shop at many different stores offering ePubs and borrow ePubs free from the local library.

I'm also not convinced there is any need to rush to a subsidized $49 reader. Vendors have a hard time keeping up during Xmas as it is and no one has a vested interest in losing gazillions selling devices. Amazon will do very nicely selling ebooks into the Kindle base as it grows and grows. Sony has no vested interest in a cheap or subsidized reader -- it has zero interest in being a bookstore. And, there are a finite number of readers for whom an electronic device holds appeal -- $49 isn't the tipping point for them ... although $149 is certainly more interesting than $259. As long as Amazon et al build greater value into the higher price, they can command those levels and attract more dedicated reading public.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #29
Rich_D
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The iPad is not an e-reader. It's a multimedia playback device that also happens to have an ereader app or two.

I don't know where you shop, but I sure don't have access to "dozens of e-readers" cheaper than the Nook or Kindle. Those are both $259; the cheapest Aztak device at Best Buy is $289 in Canada; Kobo is $149. The Sony e-readers are $199 on sale and closer to double most days of the week.

$149 is already a pretty great deal for a basic reader that allows you to shop at many different stores offering ePubs and borrow ePubs free from the local library.

I'm also not convinced there is any need to rush to a subsidized $49 reader. Vendors have a hard time keeping up during Xmas as it is and no one has a vested interest in losing gazillions selling devices. Amazon will do very nicely selling ebooks into the Kindle base as it grows and grows. Sony has no vested interest in a cheap or subsidized reader -- it has zero interest in being a bookstore. And, there are a finite number of readers for whom an electronic device holds appeal -- $49 isn't the tipping point for them ... although $149 is certainly more interesting than $259. As long as Amazon et al build greater value into the higher price, they can command those levels and attract more dedicated reading public.
I know the iPad isn't an ereader, but right or wrong, many people consider it to be the same thing.

As for dozens under $259 perhaps I was exaggerating but try newegg.com: Jetbook lite - $119, Astak pocket pro - $199, Libre - $119, Sony 300 - $149, Hanvon Wise reader - $149, Sungale - $129, etc... This doesn't count the knock offs. I seem to remember Walgreens selling one for $99.

I never stated there had to be a rush to get a cheap ereader on the market, I just stated my opinion on what it would take to explode the ebook market and I stand by that opinion. I think the free or heavily discounted ereader with a subscription to a book of the month club would also have the same effect.

Get em hooked on a cheap device, then sell them the deluxe model.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #30
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Get em hooked on a cheap device, then sell them the deluxe model.
Man I hate that model of business. I bought an eReader, and can now get books virtually anywhere I want, and didn't have to break the bank to do it.

There is no ongoing cost, nobody subsidized my hardware, and I can cancel any time I want with no further cost to me. That makes me a happy consumer.

This $49/$99 idea that will cost me more in the future is not for me at all. I have enough monthly bills as it is.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote