Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
dbrowdy
Enthusiast
dbrowdy is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Wi-Fi
New E-Ink

Just came across this tidbit that says there's a new e-ink coming out later this year.

"E Ink's next-generation technology will offer 12:1 contrast ratios (up from 7:1) and refresh rates fast enough to carry basic animations (up from 0.74 second), visible in sunlight.

The screens will ship to partners by Q4, with products arriving next year. "

Sounds promising.

EDIT - Link on that page leads to original article HERE.

Last edited by dbrowdy; 04-26-2010 at 10:39 AM.
dbrowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Thanks for that info.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
George
Enthusiast
George began at the beginning.

Device: iPad/iPhone - PRS 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrowdy View Post
"E Ink's next-generation technology will offer 12:1 contrast ratios (up from 7:1)

I'm all for the contrast upgrades and would spend the money for a new reader once they get this right. So far I'm really disappointed with my reader even though I still continue to use it.

What would the contrast, in terms of ratio, on the PRS-500 be compared to the PRS-600?
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
seems kinda blah
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:29 AM   #5
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrowdy View Post
Just came across this tidbit that says there's a new e-ink coming out later this year.

"E Ink's next-generation technology will offer 12:1 contrast ratios (up from 7:1) and refresh rates fast enough to carry basic animations (up from 0.74 second), visible in sunlight.

The screens will ship to partners by Q4, with products arriving next year. "

Sounds promising.

EDIT - Link on that page leads to original article HERE.
About bloody time e-Ink! Let's just hope it's not vapourware ...
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:41 AM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Yeah this has been posted already a while back. I found it interesting that they didn't do any side-by-side with current Vizplex.

What's also amusing is that the details usually provided alongside the video don't actually match those mentioned in the video.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Laggy page turns and crap animations don't really bother me. Improved contrast ratio is much more welcomed and would worth the extra money. Considering power consumption and the effect LCD screens have on your ciradian rythm eInk is clearly the way to go.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboss View Post
Laggy page turns and crap animations don't really bother me. Improved contrast ratio is much more welcomed and would worth the extra money. Considering power consumption and the effect LCD screens have on your ciradian rythm eInk is clearly the way to go.
There are more options out there than E-Ink and transmissive LCD. Hopefully in coming months we'll see products displaying a broader range of displays that help eliminate some of the major drawbacks of both.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
My sole experience is with the Kindle 2. I don't understand the fuss about "slow" page turns. Faster is better, I suppose; but I actually think some momentary transition is "more natural" than an instant swap. I can certain do with animations of turns though. Sheesh.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
My sole experience is with the Kindle 2. I don't understand the fuss about "slow" page turns. Faster is better, I suppose; but I actually think some momentary transition is "more natural" than an instant swap. I can certain do with animations of turns though. Sheesh.
Because not everyone uses devices slowly. Try flipping through a 20-page range of text to find a quote. To that end, E-Ink is rubbish. Try quickly skimming through a dozens or even hundreds of pages of a PDF document to find a page with a certain chart. Again, E-Ink is not really sufficient for the task. These are just a couple of simple examples based on reading, without any discussion of other types of media.

E-Ink's speed is a horrible turn-off when considering e-paper devices for academic reading or research. Sure it's understandable that some people have slow reading habits. They won't need speed. But is it really so hard to understand that some people have higher standards?

Last edited by LDBoblo; 04-27-2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: less condescending now
Old 04-28-2010, 12:54 AM   #11
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Because not everyone uses devices slowly. Try flipping through a 20-page range of text to find a quote. To that end, E-Ink is rubbish. Try quickly skimming through a dozens or even hundreds of pages of a PDF document to find a page with a certain chart. Again, E-Ink is not really sufficient for the task. These are just a couple of simple examples based on reading, without any discussion of other types of media.

E-Ink's speed is a horrible turn-off when considering e-paper devices for academic reading or research. Sure it's understandable that some people have slow reading habits. They won't need speed. But is it really so hard to understand that some people have higher standards?
And you really shouldn't take the 505 to represent the current standard of e-ink. Flipping through dozens of pages is really not a problem with the page turning speed of current devices (an exception still being full page graphics of several 100KB per page and larger). With the right software and a bigger screen size even 2 column scientific/mathematical papers work pretty well. My nephew is working on his PHD in physics and was sending me some of his papers for testing. After zooming away the margins even full page view in portrait is comfortably readable. And half page or two column modes also work fine.

The 505 is a novel reading machine and more than good enough at that. If you demand more than some e-ink devices do deliver that, too. Even layout and typesetting is quite good. Just read PDF books in their original layout. At 8" or 9.7" not really a problem. Fully justified text in Epubs, but I have yet to see a hyphenated word at the edge and no large gaps between the words. The problems I have is font sizes -- the smallest one is ok already, the others are too large. And you do run into occasional words running into each other. I have no idea if that is Epub or bad editing.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:33 AM   #12
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post

This issue has been discussed in other threads ad nauseum already. E-ink is good for "sequential" reading (e.g. novels, and such), but not that good for reference material where you need to skip pages and passages.
I found with my PRS-900 that the software features of the reader help overcome this issue a great deal:
1. Good ToC support - all my PDF material is so much easier to use now that I can go back to ToC and drill-down through the chapters to where I need to go in a flash.
2. Bookmarks - also easy to use
3. Text search

Of course, I've spoken to people who don't find this good enough, but they also tend to stick to paper books and post it notes for bookmarks and note taking.
Hopefully with the new tech coming out some of these issues will see significant improvements.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:02 AM   #13
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
That was interesting but I still think the future is going to be some sort of Reflective LCD or possibly Oled screens with non glossy mat finishes (unlike the imax) with better power management/lighter more power lithium batteries will be the wave of the future . E ink is fading, expensive, slow , colorless and its only real advantage is its lower power needs and new papers and magazines are desperate for color digital distributions of their publications which gray scale e ink does not meet.
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:38 AM   #14
m-reader
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1xxx View Post
... and its only real advantage is its lower power
In my books another big advantage of eInk is that it's not back-lit.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:39 AM   #15
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1xxx View Post
That was interesting but I still think the future is going to be some sort of Reflective LCD or possibly Oled screens with non glossy mat finishes (unlike the imax) with better power management/lighter more power lithium batteries will be the wave of the future . E ink is fading, expensive, slow , colorless and its only real advantage is its lower power needs and new papers and magazines are desperate for color digital distributions of their publications which gray scale e ink does not meet.
Of course, high end e-ink will be replaced by a suitable color technology (perhaps even color e-ink) in the next few years. But the reader for $50 with gray scale screen will be swamping the novel reader markets. And e-ink is taking over some other usages, for signs and inventory tags, for example. Signs that only need power when the message changes. You can have a separate device that is attached only when you want to change.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote