Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
blueglide
blueglide began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
DRM is killing me

I posted my specific problem in the troubleshooting section but I have a different question. Being the eternal pessimist that I am I am not certain my DRM/Sony/Adobe/activation/authorization ad nauseum issue will ever be truly fixed....but, I would really like my wife to be able to use her PRS600 Christmas gift and since that is not currently possible thru the Sony Ebook store, can she buy a book at another ebook store and get it on to her device in spite of all the mess we are dealing with because of the Sony/Adobe DRM fiasco I am trying to resolve??? Or does she own a $300 brick with 4 books on it??? Basically Sony store won't authorize my computer because of too many activations or something. I could sure use some good news after this past 4 days of Sony/Adobe tech support hell.
blueglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you've gone over the limit of 6 device activations on your Adobe ID, then that will apply to all ePub bookstores.

Your only solution would be to create a different Adobe ID, and activate the Reader using that ID instead of the original one. Of course, you then wouldn't be able to read the books you'd bought using the old ID.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
blueglide

Oh Thank you...I was afraid the device was locked out totally. I can always create a new account and lose access to the 6 books we bought if we have to. I'm assuming a new account anywhere but the Sony store will allow us to activate the device and the computer and make new purchases then? Will the 4 books we were able to get on the device before the activation mess still be readable for her?
Old 12-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All the ePub bookstores use Adobe's DRM servers, so an Adobe ID is "universal" - it doesn't apply to any one particular bookstore.

If the books that you put on the device were DRM-free, you'll be fine. If they have DRM, and you then change your Adobe ID and reactivate the device for that ID, you'll no longer be able to read them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
blueglide

Darn guess I lose everything then. This whole ordeal has really soured us on the ebook thing. I understand the need for some reasonable DRM protection but this mess makes it hard not to go back to buying paper books. I have a sliver of hope that my Adobe support request will get them to 'reset' or whatever the activation issue...and I won't even get into the Sony server/software issues! Anyway, thanks for your help.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueglide View Post
Darn guess I lose everything then. This whole ordeal has really soured us on the ebook thing. I understand the need for some reasonable DRM protection but this mess makes it hard not to go back to buying paper books. I have a sliver of hope that my Adobe support request will get them to 'reset' or whatever the activation issue...and I won't even get into the Sony server/software issues! Anyway, thanks for your help.
But didn't you say you can still currently buy DRM-Epub books from stores other than Sony? If that is true then the Sony Library is not using the right Adobe DE Id and it's that that needs to be fixed.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I think if you can get Adobe to clear out your ADE account, remove both the Sony Library Software and the Adobe Digital Editions software and then reinstall the ADE software and activate the Adobe account, then install the Sony Library Software with the same (new Adobe DE) account when it asks for that, you will be good.

I know this is all very complicated if you haven't dealt with it before.

You should be able to re-download the Books from the Sony account I believe.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-29-2009 at 02:40 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
blueglide

We haven't bought any books yet other than 6 from the Sony store. I am thinking along the same line as you about a clean start except I'm dealing with these GINORMOUS corporations (Sony/Adobe) and all I need them to do is just erase/reset/clear out whatever our Adobe ID account so we can get our PC authorized. Problem is I don't know if or when they will do this. This whole thing sounds simple but getting someone to simply 'reset' the activation thing has proven enormously frustrating.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Creating a new AdobeID and buying books with it will create a mess if you still want to read the six books you have already purchased. Only one AdobeID is supported at a time, and books cannot be transferred between AdobeIDs. I would suggest waiting until Adobe tech support gets back with you.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Creating a new AdobeID and buying books with it will create a mess if you still want to read the six books you have already purchased. Only one AdobeID is supported at a time, and books cannot be transferred between AdobeIDs. I would suggest waiting until Adobe tech support gets back with you.
for replying, Jim. I went searching for your posts to make sure that I was going to say the same thing that you did, in the above post, correctly.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
blueglide

Thanks.. I'm gonna take a break from all this...drink some Bourbon I got from Christmas and then give it a day or two and see if Adobe can fix this on their end. It has worn me out!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #11
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueglide View Post
Thanks.. ......drink some Bourbon I got from Christmas ....

Old 12-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #12
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Also, look at the options to liberate your purchased books from their DRM, it takes a bit to get set up, but once you set it up it's pretty easy.

Also, just plug in your reader to the computer and drag and drop non-drm books into the folder (database/media/book) on your reader. There are tons of free books, many are on this site....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I didn't read the original post, but under the FAQ for Adobe, I recall that it said something about calling customer support if you go over the limit of registering 6 computers. I think if it's a legitimate reason you have more than 6 registered computers, they can go ahead and let you register more or deregister your old activations to create room. Just a guess though.

Let us know how it turns out since I'm curious about what happens after I register more than 6 computers. Since the adobe account is universal, I can see myself using up all 6 activation in my life time with new computer purchases and/or formats of current computers.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #14
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
I didn't read the original post, but under the FAQ for Adobe, I recall that it said something about calling customer support if you go over the limit of registering 6 computers. I think if it's a legitimate reason you have more than 6 registered computers, they can go ahead and let you register more or deregister your old activations to create room. Just a guess though.

Let us know how it turns out since I'm curious about what happens after I register more than 6 computers. Since the adobe account is universal, I can see myself using up all 6 activation in my life time with new computer purchases and/or formats of current computers.
You can also de-register, which you should do if you sell a reader or computer or move to a new computer etc.

You need to manage that Adobe account as things change and that is truly a PITA!
Old 12-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #15
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
1.) Don't call (that'll make it worse, because our phone support often gives bad advice). He's already done the right thing which is to to submit a Web support case through the support portal, and his problem will be solved (which is why I'm not butting in to fix this yet).

2.) Deactivation only deletes the activation record from your machine, it doesn't do anything else. Specifically deactivation doesn't give you any activations back, so you only really want to do it if "you sell a reader or computer " and not for any other reason.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote