Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #9901
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
So all we have left is ---

3. ... and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

The only thing that comes to mind is a movie with Angelina Jolie playing the role of Laura Croft, and I'm pretty sure it's not the answer.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #9902
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
So close...

So not remotely close.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #9903
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
It's not ringing a bell. Putting on my literary deerstalker hat - I can predict that the diction is British Victorian or early Edwardian, probably a female author.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #9904
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
It's not ringing a bell. Putting on my literary deerstalker hat - I can predict that the diction is British Victorian or early Edwardian, probably a female author.
Your literary deerstalker is serving you well.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #9905
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Daithi and poohbear stalk slowly & silently down the hot dusty street of aged literary tomes, circling in wary silence, waiting for the other to draw guess first .... trigger fingers itching to punch the "Submit Reply" button ...

Will the chicken blink first ... and guess a title or author ... and allow the dastardly villain to capitalize on a fortunate hit? Or will the doyen of book binding rush in, eager to forestall a winning point, and fall shattered in the dust, with triumphant chicken scratching covering his pages?

Or will the lone Issybird ride into town, tossing off the correct answer on her way to the Saloon of Classics?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #9906
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Issybird would get this one in under a second, I'm sure.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #9907
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Hello - just back from two weeks of bird-watching in beautiful New Zealand.

3. Middlemarch by George Eliot - which some of us were reading together only a few months ago.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #9908
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Hello - just back from two weeks of bird-watching in beautiful New Zealand.

3. Middlemarch by George Eliot - which some of us were reading together only a few months ago.
Welcome back, Bookpossum! i hope you saw lots of birds. Where did you go?

You're right, of course.

----

Last words from some famous works.

One point each for author and title.

1. I leave it to be settled by whomsoever it may concern, whether the tendency of this work be altogether to recommend parental tyranny, or reward filial disobedience. - Northanger Abbey, Jane Austen - Billi 2 points

2. "Thank goodness!" said [Bilbo] laughing, and handed him the tobacco-jar. - The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien - Dreams 2 points

3. ... and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs. - Middlemarch, George Eliot - Bookpossum 2 points

4. As soon as they had strength, they arose, joined hands again, and went on. - Tess of the d’Urbervilles, Thomas Hardy - poohbear_nc, 2 points

5. "Oh, my girls, however long you may live, I never can wish you a greater happiness than this!" - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott - Daithi 2 points

6. The Knife came down, missing him by inches, and he took off. - Catch-22, Joseph Heller - Orlok 2 points

7. For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next. But he would think of something. - 2001: A Space Odyssey, Arthur C. Clarke - Daithi 2 points

8. [Aunt Sally] she’s going to adopt me and civilize me and I can’t stand it. I been there before. - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain - Dreams 2 points

9. Now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on for ever: in which every chapter is better than the one before. The Last Battle, C.S. Lewis - pdurrant 2 points

10. "Well, I’m back,” he said. The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien - pdurrant 2 points

11. She looked up and across the barn, and her lips came together and smiled mysteriously. The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck - Daithi 1 point, poohbear_nc 1 point

12. ... and wondered how anyone could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth. - Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte - poohbear_nc, 2 points

We have a tie! Daithi and poohbear, decide between yourselves who goes next. I don't think duels are acceptable these days, though.

Final scores:
Daithi, Poohbear - 5 points each
Dreams, pdurrant - 4 points each
Billi, Bookpossum, Orlok - 2 points each
Old 11-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #9909
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Wow, nice job everyone.
I'm sorry I wasn't around when all the action was happening and, darn, I should have caught the Steinbeck one.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #9910
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm going to concede the win to Poohbear on this one. He did all the heavy lifting, and I was just snaking his points on the other answers. The only answer I really knew was the Little Women quote.

Last edited by Daithi; 11-07-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #9911
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Hah! The literate chicken flops to victory!
[nice game Daithi - we'll meet again ....]

OK - on to something completely different!

Cats, regardless of their breed, look pretty much alike .... like cats! As opposed to the wide variety of appearances that have been developed with dog breeds. Domestic cat breed variations have tended to center on creative changes in coat characteristics, rather than body conformation. But there are a few body type mutations that have become (more or less) recognized in domestic cats. Can you identify the characteristic physical feature(s) for:

1. American Ringtail - tails loop or corkscrew - orlok

2. Munchkin - all legs shortened - Daithi

3. American Curl - ears curl back - Fbone

4. Scottish Fold - ears curl forwards - Fbone

5. Squitten - unusually short forelegs or unusually long hind legs - Hamlet53

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 11-08-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #9912
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

2. Munchkin -- short stubby legs and small in size so that it looks similar to a kitten.

One of my cousins had a cat that looked exactly like a kitten even though it was fully grown. If they could have bred other cats with that gene they could have made a fortune.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #9913
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
2. Munchkin -- short stubby legs and small in size so that it looks similar to a kitten.

One of my cousins had a cat that looked exactly like a kitten even though it was fully grown. If they could have bred other cats with that gene they could have made a fortune.
Correct! All legs shortened!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #9914
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
3. American Curl - has a curly coat?

Pure guess. I haven't heard of any of these breeds.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #9915
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I've no idea either, but I can't wait to hear what a Squitten is.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote