Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #166
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
That may be an option for other devices but I believe the KT syncs its clock when you connect to Kobo's servers and cannot be manually set/changed.
It does sync the clock, but if you go to "settings, date&time" and click on the time, you can manually adjust the clock.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #167
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
It does sync the clock, but if you go to "settings, date&time" and click on the time, you can manually adjust the clock.
Ah, so it does.. :P Wish I knew earlier.. May have made getting some of the awards much easier.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #168
LolaJay
Enthusiast
LolaJay began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Been perusing this thread - very informative!!

Lots of info to take in so I may have missed this one, but how to you get the Fully Loaded award on the Vox?

I'm at 86% on Juggernaut with just a little over 8600 page turns. Off the Wall is at 60%, though I have shared all the books I've read so far. I think you have to share the first time you open a book.

What's the 'long press'? I saw it mentioned a couple of times, tried it on my Vox but got nothing. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Thanks!
Lolajay
LolaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #169
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
I got a brand new cryptogamic one Having a hard time sleeping those days, I read sometimes past 1AM. Last night I got one that was not listed before : number 18 : Travail de Nuit (night work) : either you are attracted by zombie, either your suffering from insomnia. You read 5 times between 1AM and 5 AM. The badge shows a hand out of a grave in a cimetery. And I'm 80% through "Heure fatidique" (the badge displays a witch riding on her broom)
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #170
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
I got a brand new cryptogamic one Having a hard time sleeping those days, I read sometimes past 1AM. Last night I got one that was not listed before : number 18 : Travail de Nuit (night work) : either you are attracted by zombie, either your suffering from insomnia. You read 5 times between 1AM and 5 AM. The badge shows a hand out of a grave in a cimetery. And I'm 80% through "Heure fatidique" (the badge displays a witch riding on her broom)
Those are probably "Night Shift" and "Witching Hour" respectively.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #171
PiersS
Enthusiast
PiersS began at the beginning.

Agreed.. I found my notification for witching hour came between the hours of 12 and 1am, the last couple popping up as the clock struck midnight. Graveyard shift is from reading between 1 and 5am

The Long Press doesn't seem to do anything on the Vox And Off the Wall, instead of posting to facebook from the notifications window, try posting from inside the book, hold down on the page and instead of Annotate or Dictionary lookup (another non-award on the Vox it seems), Share to Facebook from there.. I think that's what did it for me
PiersS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #172
renee0986
Enthusiast
renee0986 began at the beginning.

I have a couple of questions relating to awards on the Kobo Vox:

1) Is it possible to get the Sookie Stackhouse award on KV? If so, can you only obtain this award from copies of the books which have been purchased from Kobo's store or can you also get this award from side loaded books?

2) Will using Kobo Desktop also work for syncing (and essentially backing up) your awards with KV or is Kobo Desktop syncing only available with the original Kobo and KT?

Also, just to confirm that I'm not missing something here. Awards available on andriod = Kobo Vox awards? Meaning none of the iOS awards are available to the Vox?
renee0986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #173
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An other couple last night (it feels finaly good to suffer from insomnia )

Heure fatidique (witching hours for the english version I think) : read 5 times between midnight and 1 AM. And as it was my 20th, I got the "Hautement décoré" (the one with 20 on the badge).

I'm 76% through "Titan" (juggernaut for the english version ? it's the 11th badge) and 90% through "Buffet à volonté" (the badge is a donut already bitten at, number 24). When I'll be done with those two, the last I could get is the one for annotations (but to what purpose... not really useful for my type of reading). The ones with facebook or likewise will have to do without me So say in a matter of one month I should be through every one I'll possibly have, about 3 months after getting my first ereader... It'll have been a flash in the pan
Old 02-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #174
heleneArch
heleneArch began at the beginning.

Salut Vice-Versa

The award mentioning zombie or insomnia is called Graveyard Shift (read 5 times between 1am and 5am) on my vox.
And the award for reading 5 times during breakfast (5am-7am) is Eat It.

I got 32/32 awards. Wondering if there are any 'hidden' ones, I've tried many others mentioned and never got anything...

The "Buffet a volonte" is = All you can eat, you have so many ebooks your virtual shelf is creaking
Titan = juggernaut, seems right.

As to making notes ... it depends on the book I guess. I'm currently reading a Epub-book-converted-from-PDF for a course I'm enrolled in (economics) and it helps to make notes there, but if reading a novel, it's useless except to get the award
Anyway, that award in English is Deep thinker (thinking statue on a pink background). What is it in French ?

renee0986

-->1) Is it possible to get the Sookie Stackhouse award on KV? If so, can you only obtain this award from copies of the books which have been purchased from Kobo's store or can you also get this award from side loaded books? <--

I've tried by reading the side loaded books, didn't get any award for it. Perhaps it's either a specific SS book or simply not available on the KV?

-->2) Will using Kobo Desktop also work for syncing (and essentially backing up) your awards with KV or is Kobo Desktop syncing only available with the original Kobo and KT?<--

My KV has been restarted to factory settings 3 times since I got it at Christmas time, and every time, my awards have been 'saved'. I don't know if this answers your question really...

-->Also, just to confirm that I'm not missing something here. Awards available on andriod = Kobo Vox awards? Meaning none of the iOS awards are available to the Vox?<--

I believe most Android awards are available on KV.
No iOS awards for sure, on the KV.

Hope this helps!

A+
Helene A.
heleneArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #175
heleneArch
heleneArch began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaJay View Post
Lots of info to take in so I may have missed this one, but how to you get the Fully Loaded award on the Vox?
Fully Loaded = You added documents to your app - Adding outside reads is an awesome way to fill our your library.

It must mean you have to "side load"/transfer e-books from your pc, and not purchase them from Kobo Shop?
heleneArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #176
sarasa1
Enthusiast
sarasa1 began at the beginning.

Device: KT and iPhone
I'm new to the Kobo, and i have both a KT and the app on my iphone. i've managed to get 27 awards on my KT. Is that all of them available for the KT atm?

The one's i'm really struggling to get are the Fully Loaded.. i'm sure i side loaded some PDFs and ePUBs, and it didn't seem to trigger it. Do you need to side load a certain number of books? or is it just that i have the method wrong? Any ideas?!

Also, struggling to get the Classic Attack.. like a lot of others, it seems, i deleted the five classic books off my kobo, but having looked on here, i've redownloaded them and reread them all, and it will only give me 80% and so it won't give me the award! No idea what i'm doing wrong but i'd love sugestions!

Lastly (sorry, lots of questions, i'm new!), i'm from the UK.. i'm guessing that means that i can't get a few of the awards, as magazines and newspapers aren't available on kobo over here yet. Also, i couldn't find the dead reckoning book on kobo in the UK, or any of the pretty little liars books for the 4 associated awards..does anyone know if you can get these in the UK? or if some of these awards are limited to the US and Canada?
sarasa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #177
vice-versa
whippet addict

Quote:
As to making notes ... it depends on the book I guess. I'm currently reading a Epub-book-converted-from-PDF for a course I'm enrolled in (economics) and it helps to make notes there, but if reading a novel, it's useless except to get the award
Anyway, that award in English is Deep thinker (thinking statue on a pink background). What is it in French ?
To have this one you should highlight some passages (how much ?). In French, it's called "Guillemets" (quotation marks) explained as : "keep your favorite passages by highlighting them". As for me, reading is just for fun (I really don't know if some technical or scientific books are available as ebooks, but at least, I could get some books about open source softwares in pdf format and use calibre to convert them as epub, then highlighting passages that would be useful to me)
Old 02-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #178
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad, iPhone
What happens - gasp! - when the dread day arrives and you bag the very last Kobo trophy? What's to stop Reading Life fans like me from picking up their Kindles at that point? Kobo really should be introducing new awards on a regular basis. There are lots of possibilities - for example:
*Genre-specific awards (e.g. 'read five science fiction books')
*Time-limited awards related to bestseller lists or literary prizes (e.g. 'read a book nominated for the 2012 Booker Prize', 'read two books on the March 2012 New York Times bestseller lists'). There are obvious possibilities for commercial tie-ins here.
*Book specific awards, in conjunction with publishers. This one may seem impractical, but the entertainment check-in app/ network Getglue rolls out film- and TV-show specific awards (or as they call them, 'stickers') all the time. I see no reason why Kobo cannot do the same.

Last edited by Cameronpaterson; 02-12-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Cameronpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #179
verano
verano began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronpaterson View Post
What happens - gasp! - when the dread day arrives and you bag the very last Kobo trophy? What's to stop Reading Life fans like me from picking up their Kindles at that point? Kobo really should be introducing new awards on a regular basis. There are lots of possibilities - for example:
*Genre-specific awards (e.g. 'read five science fiction books')
*Time-limited awards related to bestseller lists or literary prizes (e.g. 'read a book nominated for the 2012 Booker Prize', 'read two books on the March 2012 New York Times bestseller lists'). There are obvious possibilities for commercial tie-ins here.
*Book specific awards, in conjunction with publishers. This one may seem impractical, but the entertainment check-in app/ network Getglue rolls out film- and TV-show specific awards (or as they call them, 'stickers') all the time. I see no reason why Kobo cannot do the same.
I wish you worked at Kobo!!!! I think the exact same thing- it seems like a reasonably cheap/quick thing to work on a regular basis to come out with new awards/stickers to keep the masses happy.
verano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #180
xgirl1
xgirl1 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo & kobo for android
my list (on my android phone) is as follows
1) welcome to reading life
2) facebook
3) i <3 my library
4) once upon a time
5) not an open book
6) scout leader
7) deep thinker (you made a note in your book)
8) inverted comma (highlighted your first passage)
9) night rider
10) fanatic (have 5 books by the same author)
11) papillion (share 10 times on facebook)
12) total recall (re-read a book)
13) freeloader (add 10 free books to your library)
14) the twain award (read everyday for 14 days straight)
15) juggernaut
16) page turner (2h straigh read)
17) afternoon rush hour (5x between 4-6pm)
18) happy hour (5x between 6-8pm)
19) primetime (5x between 8-10pm)
20) better in bed (5x between 10-mid)
21) witching hour (5x between mid-1am)
22) graveyard shift (5x between 1-5am)
23) eat it (5x between 5-7am)
24) sleeping in (5x between 9-noon)
25) i eat books for lunch (5x between noon-2pm)
26) playing hooky (5x between 2-4pm)
27) off the wall (still working on it... telling what your reading now)
28) quoth the maven (still working on... posting a quote from your book on facebook)
29) all you can eat (still working on)
30) fully loaded (add documents to your app. adding outside reads to your library)

i dont know if there are more but im always looking
xgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awards, reading life, touch