Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 02:29 AM   #1
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
Should I Exchange my K3?

I spent about a week trying to decide which Kindle to buy, and finally (partly due to the posts here saying that the K4 screen just wasn't as good), I opted to get a Kindle Keyboard (formerly known as the K3).

I'd been using a DXG which I love - but love more the K3 with the sans serif font. It's my favorite Kindle so far.

BUT - I do notice that the left hand page forward button seems a little loose and not as firm as the other 3 page turn buttons. Nothing drastic - seems almost 'picky', but there's a difference in the way it feels. It still turns the pages properly, but instead of feeling firm and solid to the touch, it just wobbles around a bit in the casing.

I'm trying to figure out if I should exchange the K3 while I'm still within the 30 day window of being sure to get a new K3 as a replacement and not a refurb that I'd get if 6 months down the line it becomes a real problem - not that I've any problem with refurbs, I'm using a Mac refurbed laptop to type this - but if I pay for a new Kindle, I want a new Kindle. I buy Apple refurbs because they're only 2/3 the cost of a new one.

So - does this seem enough of a problem to warrant an exchange? Also, what if I do exchange and happen to get a unit with a darker screen than my K3 now - I'd prefer a wiggly button to a dark screen - would it be my option which to return, or could I say I'm not happy with either and would they send yet another exchange?
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:44 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdia View Post
I spent about a week trying to decide which Kindle to buy, and finally (partly due to the posts here saying that the K4 screen just wasn't as good), I opted to get a Kindle Keyboard (formerly known as the K3).

I'd been using a DXG which I love - but love more the K3 with the sans serif font. It's my favorite Kindle so far.

BUT - I do notice that the left hand page forward button seems a little loose and not as firm as the other 3 page turn buttons. Nothing drastic - seems almost 'picky', but there's a difference in the way it feels. It still turns the pages properly, but instead of feeling firm and solid to the touch, it just wobbles around a bit in the casing.

I'm trying to figure out if I should exchange the K3 while I'm still within the 30 day window of being sure to get a new K3 as a replacement and not a refurb that I'd get if 6 months down the line it becomes a real problem - not that I've any problem with refurbs, I'm using a Mac refurbed laptop to type this - but if I pay for a new Kindle, I want a new Kindle. I buy Apple refurbs because they're only 2/3 the cost of a new one.

So - does this seem enough of a problem to warrant an exchange? Also, what if I do exchange and happen to get a unit with a darker screen than my K3 now - I'd prefer a wiggly button to a dark screen - would it be my option which to return, or could I say I'm not happy with either and would they send yet another exchange?

I'd exchange it. It may get worse as you use it more and if want a new unit you should do it now. I have the opposite problem on my K4, the buttons are stiff and hard to press. I think you have a chance to get a darker K3 screens if it's a KSO version. However not too many people have gotten a K3 like this. It's more predominant in the K4s it seems.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:51 AM   #3
Clawdia
Connoisseur

Thanks, Blossom - that's what I'm thinking, too. If I should get a screen on the replacement that I don't like, should they be willing to deal with that until I'm happy with it, too? I've never had a problem with Amazon's customer service, but I sure don't want to end up with a darker screen. (Always the pessimist - that's me - somehow I never think about the possibility that I could get a lighter screen . . .)

It is a KSO version - I don't mind the ads and do like saving money. Only regret is that I sort of wish I'd gotten the 3G version since it's probably the last one that actually will be able to use 3G. Then again, I don't really use it on my DXG (which I'm thinking of selling), I just think of it in terms of what if the lights went out, then the 3G could be a handy back up device.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:00 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, Blossom - that's what I'm thinking, too. If I should get a screen on the replacement that I don't like, should they be willing to deal with that until I'm happy with it, too? I've never had a problem with Amazon's customer service, but I sure don't want to end up with a darker screen. (Always the pessimist - that's me - somehow I never think about the possibility that I could get a lighter screen . . .)

It is a KSO version - I don't mind the ads and do like saving money. Only regret is that I sort of wish I'd gotten the 3G version since it's probably the last one that actually will be able to use 3G. Then again, I don't really use it on my DXG (which I'm thinking of selling), I just think of it in terms of what if the lights went out, then the 3G could be a handy back up device.
Yes Kindle support is really great making sure you are happy with your Reader! My K4 is a KSO. The 3G version comes with the annoying Documents waiting for you to download letter every time you send a book to your Kindle. It doesn't matter if you Use WiFi you still get the message. It's a little heavier too. The battery life isn't as good unless you leave WiFi/3G off. I'd stick with a WiFi unless you travel alot.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:07 AM   #5
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Clawdia, I agree with Blossom, if you're not entirely happy now and an exchange is at no cost to you and is new for new, then you should take advantage of this.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:27 AM   #6
Clawdia
Connoisseur

I think you're both right. I'm going to call Kindle Customer Service on Monday - always seems best to call Amazon during business hours. I really don't want to talk to somebody in India or wherever they're outsourcing weekend calls to now.

I figure if the screen on the replacement isn't as good, it'll just mean I make another phone call. I can't help it if I have a telephone-phobia . . . better to deal with that than a Kindle I'm not happy with.

I don't 'need' 3G, and I've talked myself out of wanting it (almost). I just always stay in "be prepared" mode, and a free access to the internet if the power grid went down would be a nice prep feature. I have that with my DXG, but am thinking of selling it since it's sitting in a corner feeling unloved right now since I've not used it since I got my K3.

Then again, I'm one of those people who second guesses myself a lot, and always seems to manage to do the wrong thing, if there is a wrong thing available to be done.

I do think I'd be better off to go ahead and exchange this K3, though - the more I wiggle that little button, the more unhappy I am with it since obviously the other 3 don't wiggle at all!
Old 10-30-2011, 03:27 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I think you're both right. I'm going to call Kindle Customer Service on Monday - always seems best to call Amazon during business hours. I really don't want to talk to somebody in India or wherever they're outsourcing weekend calls to now.

I figure if the screen on the replacement isn't as good, it'll just mean I make another phone call. I can't help it if I have a telephone-phobia . . . better to deal with that than a Kindle I'm not happy with.

I don't 'need' 3G, and I've talked myself out of wanting it (almost). I just always stay in "be prepared" mode, and a free access to the internet if the power grid went down would be a nice prep feature. I have that with my DXG, but am thinking of selling it since it's sitting in a corner feeling unloved right now since I've not used it since I got my K3.

Then again, I'm one of those people who second guesses myself a lot, and always seems to manage to do the wrong thing, if there is a wrong thing available to be done.

I do think I'd be better off to go ahead and exchange this K3, though - the more I wiggle that little button, the more unhappy I am with it since obviously the other 3 don't wiggle at all!
Oh hon you're not the only one with a phone phobia. I am that way too. I shake like crazy when I talk to a stranger on the phone specially if I have to call them. It's silly I tell myself but I didn't grow up with a phone. My mind goes blank and I feel dumb but I have learned to push myself through it and even own a cell now.

They do have a chat option if you want to try it. It's hit and miss but I just had an positive experience getting my special offer fixed. The Rept. Shivamruth was probably in India but she was wonderful! The one I chatted with the other day was clueless but the one I got a few minutes ago knew her stuff and really wanted to help.

When I called Kindle support to return my K4. A nice young man by the name of Shane helped me out. It was painless and I had replacement on it's way in minutes.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:35 AM   #8
C.S.
Enthusiast
C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Wow, and I thought I was the only one with "phone phobia." I always e-mail if I can. I hate talking on a phone.
C.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I had a button "weakness" on my Kindle 2, and Amazon replaced it, even though it was out of warranty. The micro-switches under those buttons can go quickly once they start to get mushy.

I have found that it is best to contact customer support via the website and get them to call you. You should be able to do that here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/conta...node_id=508510

They usually call you back very quickly, and they'll have all of your info at hand.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
Clawdia
Connoisseur

Wow - I'm really glad to know I'm not the only one with phone-phobia (altho sorry anyone else has to live with it, too). I can feel my heart rate jump whenever the phone rings, even if I don't intend to answer it. Caller ID has been a blessing for me - most of the time, I don't answer the phone when it rings unless it's daughter or husband (my parents both died about 10 years ago, which meant I could stop answering those calls - but I wish they were still around even if it did mean I had to answer the phone).

Making a call is even worse - I've been known to sit with a phone in my hand and a number in front of me for at least an hour before getting up enough nerve to dial the number. It wasn't as bad before I had a horrid case of encephalitis about ten years ago - could hardly talk at all for months, and talking on the phone became a lot harder because it is harder for me to figure out what the appropriate response is and get it out in the right length of time. Odd thing was - it never had any effect on my ability to communicate using a keyboard. Humans just aren't made to run a fever of 104 for a month without damage.

My phobia got the better of me today and I didn't call - but I think that comment by montalex about the micro-switches may have pushed me over the edge into calling tomorrow. I'll have to take a Valium first - but that's one reason I have the things, so I guess it falls in the category of prescribed therapy.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Wow - I'm really glad to know I'm not the only one with phone-phobia (altho sorry anyone else has to live with it, too). I can feel my heart rate jump whenever the phone rings, even if I don't intend to answer it. Caller ID has been a blessing for me - most of the time, I don't answer the phone when it rings unless it's daughter or husband (my parents both died about 10 years ago, which meant I could stop answering those calls - but I wish they were still around even if it did mean I had to answer the phone).

Making a call is even worse - I've been known to sit with a phone in my hand and a number in front of me for at least an hour before getting up enough nerve to dial the number. It wasn't as bad before I had a horrid case of encephalitis about ten years ago - could hardly talk at all for months, and talking on the phone became a lot harder because it is harder for me to figure out what the appropriate response is and get it out in the right length of time. Odd thing was - it never had any effect on my ability to communicate using a keyboard. Humans just aren't made to run a fever of 104 for a month without damage.

My phobia got the better of me today and I didn't call - but I think that comment by montalex about the micro-switches may have pushed me over the edge into calling tomorrow. I'll have to take a Valium first - but that's one reason I have the things, so I guess it falls in the category of prescribed therapy.
I would try Kindle Chat. If you don't have a problem with chatting online. It's like a Instant message program so it's really easy to use.
There's a box to type in your problem before they connect you to support so it's really painless.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
Clawdia
Connoisseur

I did it (whimper, wiping tear from eye) . . . worse than I'd thought. I thought calling during Seattle business hours would get me an American to talk to, but it was an Indian lady who couldn't seem to understand me any better than I could understand her.

I said - problem with the forward page turn button. She says - what kind of damage is there to the screen? Did you drop your Kindle? Did you put pressure on the screen? The implication, of course, was that surely this was my fault.

No, I answered - the problem is the page turn button. So you did not drop the Kindle?, she asks again. By then, I'm biting my tongue.

Next, she thought I was asking to exchange the K3 I bought my daughter in August even though I said I'd bought this one on October 6, last month. Finally got her to understand that I had bought two K3s recently and wanted to exchange the newer one.
She asked me for a ton of information - thought purpose of having them call was that they'd have all they needed.

Finally, she allows as how I'll receive email instructions on how to return my K3 and that I'll receive a replacement tomorrow.

I would have used the chat function, except it said on the screen that if I needed an exchange I was supposed to use the phone.

At least that part's over (for now, says the pessimist). Next, I get to check the quality of the K3 that I hopefully get tomorrow.
I hadn't planned to be home tomorrow, but didn't think about that when I called - so I guess I'll be home.

Oh well - at least I did it. I wonder if it's ever possible to talk to a native English speaker at a customer service number these days. I don't care where anyone is from, but CS personnel should speak and understand English.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

You could of used Chat I know people who have. I've always gotten an American when calling Kindle support. Next time just say something like. "I'm sorry ma'am we have a bad connection and I can't understand you. So I'm gonna try calling again." This is best way to do it when you get someone with a thick accent and you don't want to offend them.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #14
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool ditto

Quote:
I did it (whimper, wiping tear from eye) . . . worse than I'd thought. I thought calling during Seattle business hours would get me an American to talk to, but it was an Indian lady who couldn't seem to understand me any better than I could understand her.....

....I wonder if it's ever possible to talk to a native English speaker at a customer service number these days. I don't care where anyone is from, but CS personnel should speak and understand English.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You could of used Chat I know people who have. I've always gotten an American when calling Kindle support. Next time just say something like. "I'm sorry ma'am we have a bad connection and I can't understand you. So I'm gonna try calling again." This is best way to do it when you get someone with a thick accent and you don't want to offend them.
did you use the call-me method (you tell them to call a certain number right away)?

better to say, there's the doorbell, gotta' go, i'll place this call again at my convenience. do that every time you get a rep you don't feel comfortable with
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Next time just say something like. "I'm sorry ma'am we have a bad connection and I can't understand you. So I'm gonna try calling again." This is best way to do it when you get someone with a thick accent and you don't want to offend them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
better to say, there's the doorbell, gotta' go, i'll place this call again at my convenience. do that every time you get a rep you don't feel comfortable with
I just use Monkey Jedi mind tricks on them and they see things my way very rapidly
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote