Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Missing Google apps (freebies) on new Android device

Ok,

So I bought a sweet and new Galaxy Tab SII ... ...but can't see my Google apps listed anywhere, only paid ones.

I remember than when I bought my Galaxy Tab, everything I had on my cellphone was immediately listed on the GT after Google's registration.

Now, I understand GT and my old cellphone run Froyo. The Galaxy S II runs Gingerbread. Does it have something to do with it, maybe? Has anyone experience a similar issue before or how can be fixed.

I have lot of apps. It's doable but I would prefer not doing a manual setup.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
TFeldt
Connoisseur
TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Asus Transformer, Galaxy S
I'm not certain of what you mean but if you mean listed as in installed or visible in "my apps" in the market then you might need to turn on the application backup sync. Believe it's under privacy in the settings menu. You might need to restore from there as well.

If I totally misunderstood you then I apologize in advance.
TFeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
So I bought a sweet and new Galaxy Tab SII ... .
Huh??? I don't recall this product I've heard of the Galaxy SII and the Galaxy Tab Plus?.

Quote:

..but can't see my Google apps listed anywhere, only paid ones.

I remember than when I bought my Galaxy Tab, everything I had on my cellphone was immediately listed on the GT after Google's registration.
Interesting, I don't ever recall that feature on Android Market.

I know one can look at all the apps they've downloaded by going to the Android Market URL. From there you can "send" the app to install on your new Android Device.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Did you log your new phone into your (previous) Gmail account? All of your apps are linked to your Gmail account, and should show up on any device logged into that account (Froyo or Gingerbread not withstanding). If you opened a new account for the new phone, you won't see any apps that are linked to your old account.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, typo .... Galaxy SII ,

By the way and take note, is a bug :-(. ...

After checking current Android bugs, found some devices are having problems when replicating apps. This is a known issue. The part I found frustrating is that Tmobile was not willing to help; they knew little or nothing about Android or refuse to dig in the problem immediately when they saw the cellphone model. I had to visited 3 stores and finally , on third one , a young Asian/American kid helped me. Hopefully this will change once Motorola start being fully integrated with Google.

The issues
#1 Apps don't replicate
#2 Device not registered on Market

For #1, download App Backup and restore app on source. Backup apps to SD card. Repeat and new device but restore this time. That will save you the horrible pain of download and install each one one by one. This should be an automatic process thanks to Google account or Google cloud, but never happened.

On #2, make several phone calls and use Market. That will force the registration.

Last one is more an annoyance that anything els, but certainly a bug.

By the way, like the phone so far but I think Samsung should redesign the battery cover mechanism; removing it is a slow and delicate process.

I'll test battery life today after finish the widgets configuration ...

Last edited by jocampo; 10-18-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Ok,

So I bought a sweet and new Galaxy Tab SII ... ...but can't see my Google apps listed anywhere, only paid ones.

Now, I understand GT and my old cellphone run Froyo. The Galaxy S II runs Gingerbread. Does it have something to do with it, maybe? Has anyone experience a similar issue before or how can be fixed.

I have lot of apps. It's doable but I would prefer not doing a manual setup.
Same here.
From what I understand now: Of all your installed apps, you only see the compatible ones for your respective units.I partially solve this by using the AppBrain app. But it's not of much use, you basically just see the other apps you can't use anyway.
But at least you can check all your units running AppBrain ("what do I have installed on unit A and what on unit B?").
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline

Hey mg,

What's the difference between AppBrain and App Backup?

What you're saying makes sense. Because the Galaxy Tab and my previous Android cellphone were running Froyo. The Galaxy SII is running Gingerbread. However, after restored, they all work fine.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hey mg,

What's the difference between AppBrain and App Backup?

What you're saying makes sense. Because the Galaxy Tab and my previous Android cellphone were running Froyo. The Galaxy SII is running Gingerbread. However, after restored, they all work fine.
AppBrain is not for Backup.
It syncs your account, informs you about updates. And, what I like, within the community you get recommendations based on your own app library. And it syncs the account of each unit. So within the App on unit A you can check your installed apps on units B and C. Often it's no use, as you simply can't install each app on every unit. But still I find it more convenient than checking out 3 or more tablets in parallel to compare the apps.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
AppBrain is not for Backup.
It syncs your account, informs you about updates. And, what I like, within the community you get recommendations based on your own app library. And it syncs the account of each unit. So within the App on unit A you can check your installed apps on units B and C. Often it's no use, as you simply can't install each app on every unit. But still I find it more convenient than checking out 3 or more tablets in parallel to compare the apps.
I guess my only problem with AppBrain is to take advantage of their services you have to give them access to your google account. Not sure if I feel comfortable dong so.

=X=
Old 10-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I used AppBrain for a while, and found no substantual advantage to it over the Market.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I guess my only problem with AppBrain is to take advantage of their services you have to give them access to your google account. Not sure if I feel comfortable dong so.

=X=
I'm not sure (activated it a long time ago) whether that's actually the case.
I think I only had to sync my apps, not give them my account data.
But I may remember incorrectly...
Old 10-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #12
TFeldt
Connoisseur
TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Asus Transformer, Galaxy S
Haven't used appbrain for over half a year but the last time I used it I didn't have to give them my credentials either, or I certainly wouldn't have used it at all. If they do require access to my account then they should use google's credentials authentication. Fair share of widgets that ask you to enter your google password as well, some analytics apps come to mind.
TFeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I'm not sure (activated it a long time ago) whether that's actually the case.
I think I only had to sync my apps, not give them my account data.
But I may remember incorrectly...
Yes it's been a while since I used appbrain, I use to use it for app searches before the Market got better at it.

From what I recall to use the social aspect one had to login to the app via one owns google account. That was my impression but I could have been wrong.

When I go to the appbrain site it does ask you to login to google, facebook, twitter. So I don't think my memory is incorrect. They've just added the last two options.

http://www.appbrain.com/login