Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Questions About Rooting (NOOKcolor)

I received a private message from someone who had these questions/concerns. I was given permission to use them in a thread.

Quote:
I have a stock unrooted NC without the latest 1.01 update yet. Basically, I would love to use this as a full-service tablet, but I am sort of afraid to ruin my brand-new NC, even though I AM quite computer-literate.
Being fearful of damaging something is a good thing. I was scared as well. It comes down to what do you hope to gain from rooting.

Quote:
Am I correct in saying that the Autonooter program will root the NC automatically for me? Are there any problems I might expect? What about the expected update to Android 2.2 that is expected out in January? Would there be any advantage to rooting now or should I wait for the update? If I root now and the update goes through will that have any effect on the rooted NC or will it mess things up?

People overestimate the ease of using the auto process. Issues have been encountered with the auto process. There is no guarantee that it will work smoothly for you. You have to STARE at the rooting steps and determine if you can do it. Ask yourself, am I able to follow these instructions to the letter? If I'm stumped on something can I Google myself out of it or seek help on the right forum? That's what it's really about. Only you can answer that. Also, there is some functionality that is left out of the auto process that people overlook. At the bottom of the rooting instructions is a section called “Things to do after you've rooted your NookColor”.

This should be done as well:

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB

I used the manual process (prior to the availability of auto). The manual process is still an option, and has been flushed out some more. When I re-root I plan to use the manual process again. For me it's about understanding what was done and having control over what is done (e.g. what version of an app to use).

With regard to the major update from B&N...if you want to root do it now. All of us who rooted will have to re-root then. I don't think anyone is disappointed with the decision to not wait.

You should disable auto updates when you root.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=17

The NOOKcolor is virtually unbrickable. When it looks like you screwed up, you can do a factory reset.

http://nookdevs.com/Flash_back_to_clean_stock_ROM

Quote:
On a rooted device, do you still have wireless access to the B&N shop etc.? Do the menus and N button still work? Does the rooting process affect the books I already have loaded? I heard also that there is a danger to the internal temperature after rooting. Is this true?
All the B&N eReader functionality is there (this is accessed from a bottom row of menu buttons that is not removed). It just adds another layer to it for lack of a better way of stating it. The original NOOKcolor home screen is there. You can continue to use it like that. Or you could access all of the Android installed apps under "Extras" which is where the original B&N non-eReader stuff is (Music Player, Pandor, Chess, Crossword, Gallery, Sudoku, etc). All of your sideloaded content is still there.

Or you can have a traditional Android home screen and still access the eReader menus from the bottom row of menus that is still there.

I know it's hard to envision, but in a nutshell you can keep the original B&N eReader look or you can use the traditional Android look. The cool thing is that you can easily switch between both, so you don't sacrifice anything at all. That's how I do it.

The Android Marketplace is an app that is enabled automatically (auto process) or manually. You click on the Market icon and view apps classified in different categories. Many popular apps are free. The app is installed directly from Market. You can also sideload apps. Apps have an ending of .apk in the file name.

Last edited by SCION; 12-20-2010 at 05:13 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
To root....or....when to root.....that is the question....

I'm not sure if I'm ready for rooting......for the past 16hrs I've just had a hard time putting mine down..........

I'll need to research rooting before I'm ready for that.....I'm not really into games and such, perhaps there are apps that might be useful though.....

At this point.....it's all new to me......I wonder if I'll ever sleep again
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
rogerperk
Connoisseur
rogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enough

Device: NC Rooted
Some things I've notices since rooting:

I concur with Scion, it's not as easy as everyone says it is - but it's not hard if you pay attention. I ran into problems but, with Scions help, got out of it and had a learning experience. Still havne't figured out how to set up the ADB thing but I will.

I no longer get the automatic in store hookup I got with unrooted Nook Color. I can go to the page and all but I don't get the pop up, read in store thing.

I downloaded a program called Notepad from the Market and uset that to take notes during a recent staff meeting. Not only could I take notes fairly well using the stock keyboard but I could email the notes to myself and copy them into Word with no problem

Keyboard. I want another one with directional arrows, bold, etc. The stock one is sufficient but sufficient is never good enough.

Not sure if I got landscape in the reader before but I don't now.

The small book in the task bar does not work to take be back to my last read. Not an issue but still...

Far greater choise in wallpaper thanks to the Market.

Should have thought of this but it's not a GPS system so that doesn't work. Can't get Google Earth to work, having difficulty downloading Google Maps (Like it wont), but Angry Birds rocks on this screen.

That's what I have so far. Far, far more versitile than I thought it woudl be thanks to the note thing. More as I figure it out.
rogerperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerperk View Post
Keyboard. I want another one with directional arrows, bold, etc. The stock one is sufficient but sufficient is never good enough.

Not sure if I got landscape in the reader before but I don't now.

The small book in the task bar does not work to take be back to my last read. Not an issue but still...
There are replacement keyboards available. XDA Developers is a good source for suggestions and instructions. You would have to rename the original keyboard so that it won't be accessed. If you plan on removing the replacement keyboard be sure to remember to change the name of the original keyboard to what it was prior to installing the new keyboard. If you don't you'll need to do a factory reset because you won't have a keyboard.

When are you trying to access landscape and it doesn't work? Check your device settings: Settings / Screen / Orientation (make sure it's checked to automatically switch orientation when rotated).

The small book icon (continue reading) should still work. Sometimes you have to access the book/periodical another way to get it to reset. Also, when that icon isn't working you can access that functionality using Softkeys. In the 1.10 version clicking the "n" button brings up recent tasks at the top of the screen. One of the tasks is Reader (with the book icon). Clicking on that is the same as clicking on the small book icon at the bottom of the screen.

Last edited by SCION; 12-21-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
To root....or....when to root.....that is the question....
I agree with that - when? I just got one 3 days ago and between putting in books and reading them, and trying to figure out how to get rid of the black bars on movies, and reading lots on rooting.......no time.

Oh, throw in Christmas baking and shopping......

I did root my Evo, but this seems so different that I really don't feel comfortable doing it until I have some free time in case something goes wrong. Really don't want to wait till after the holidays, but might have to.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Could someone please provide a solid definition of what it means to "sideload" applications/movies/files/etc, as opposed to <whatever the standard> is?
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant

Sideload means access files via storage card or dropbox. Sideloading apps specifically means using a file explorer to install them instead of using Market or USB ADB.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:11 AM   #8
woodyear99
woodyear99 is on a distinguished road

Device: NookColor
Thanks for clearing up these questions, I actually just got 2, one for myself and another for my wife

I will give rooting a shot later this week.
woodyear99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:10 AM   #9
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
T

The small book icon (continue reading) should still work. Sometimes you have to access the book/periodical another way to get it to reset. Also, when that icon isn't working you can access that functionality using Softkeys. In the 1.10 version clicking the "n" button brings up recent tasks at the top of the screen. One of the tasks is Reader (with the book icon). Clicking on that is the same as clicking on the small book icon at the bottom of the screen.
I was hesitant to install Softkeys because I'm trying to keep my NC as close to stock as possible (no alternate launchers, etc). It would be handy if someone figures out how to launch Dolphin HD or the like instead of the stock brower, though

I tweaked the softkeys settings - I didn't want the little gray arrow on the righthand side - so now I only see the back hotkey on the bottom, and the softkey list on a double-click of the N button. Getting the task switcher at the same time is nice too.

For me, getting ADB installed took a lot longer than the rooting part. Took a while screwing around in the control panel - and I'm very comfortable with that kind of thing.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:17 AM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
...It would be handy if someone figures out how to launch Dolphin HD or the like instead of the stock brower, though
What do you mean? Make Dolphin or something else the default browser?
Old 12-22-2010, 03:12 AM   #11
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
What do you mean? Make Dolphin or something else the default browser?
I mean, replace the "Web" shortcut in the B&N launcher with Dolphin or whatever (instead of the stock no-multitouch browser).
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #12
woodyear99
woodyear99 is on a distinguished road

Device: NookColor
Btw does rooting affect battery life on the NC or cause increased temperatures?
woodyear99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #13
rogerperk
Connoisseur
rogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enough

Device: NC Rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
((snip))

For me, getting ADB installed took a lot longer than the rooting part. Took a while screwing around in the control panel - and I'm very comfortable with that kind of thing.
I still haven't done it. It requires me to use programs I"m not familiar with and I was some time to do it slowly. Over the holidays probably. Or, hopefully, someone will get an app to do that! I want someone to hold my hand through the process is what I want.
rogerperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #14
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
now if you were involved the first day that root came out, i'd not advise anyone who's not familiar with command lines or using adb to try it. but now the root process has come so far that it's pretty brainless.

the only thing that requires a little thought is prepping your sd card. must make sure you pick the right drive to restore the image to. since they've found a few programs that work in windows to create the image, it's actually very easy. of course you'll end up formatting your entire card, just make sure you back up.

the auto root is so easy that all you have to is put in your sd card and... well that's it. the auto root even reboots and removes the boot files when your done so that it'll boot up from the nook instead of the sd card upon finishing root. it'll even enable market, install a multi-touch keyboard ported from the droid x, and add soft keys for back, menu, etc.

there's really nothing to lose (except your data currently on the nook's internal storage, which you can redownload if you have it backed up). you can easily unroot your nook also.

one other thing, after formatting your sd card for the root process you'll need to reformat it in the nook (or more complex ways with your computer) to reclaim the entire card. otherwise it'll only have a 40MB partition available.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #15
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post

there's really nothing to lose (except your data currently on the nook's internal storage, which you can redownload if you have it backed up). you can easily unroot your nook also.
Do you mean that the autoroot process will erase all of the books I downloaded to my NC? I thought it did not do this?
leday is offline   Reply With Quote