Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 05-05-2017, 02:06 AM   #1
chp380
chp380 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7''
[iOS] How to stop Calibre Companion from multiple copying Ebook/PDFs to reader apps?

Hi there,
I've recently started using Calibre Companion to manage my books library, and everything seemed OK till I found that CC copies Ebooks and PDFs in applications by which I am reading the books, like Adobe Acrobat and Apple's iBooks, and it does it every single time I import a book from CC. As a consequence, I have, for example, 5 copies of Art of War book. I really appreciate it if any body could help me with this problem, and tell me how to stop CC from multiple copying books to reader apps.

Thanks.
chp380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:59 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chp380 View Post
I've recently started using Calibre Companion to manage my books library, and everything seemed OK till I found that CC copies Ebooks and PDFs in applications by which I am reading the books, like Adobe Acrobat and Apple's iBooks, and it does it every single time I import a book from CC. As a consequence, I have, for example, 5 copies of Art of War book. I really appreciate it if any body could help me with this problem, and tell me how to stop CC from multiple copying books to reader apps.
Update: I stand corrected. What I say below applies to Android devices. I completely missed the fact that this was an Apple device.

I searched my tablet and I have exactly 1 copy of every book I have sent to CC. There are no duplicates on my tablet.

CC keeps copies of the books you send to it in the folders you tell it to place the books. One copy of each book you send to it. CC does NOT copy books to any other folder. I use Moon+ Reader Pro and this reader has the option to Import new books in main folder automatically. I don't have this option set so when I read a book in Moon+ it does not get copied to any other folder.

The issue you have is with whichever reading app you are using copying books to their own folder whenever you open the book from CC. I would investigate the settings in those apps for the source of your trouble.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-05-2017 at 05:21 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2017, 05:04 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I searched my tablet and I have exactly 1 copy of every book I have sent to CC. There are no duplicates on my tablet.
What you say is true for the Android version of CC, at least up to Android 6. The OP is using the iOS version of CC. AFAIK iOS does not permit sharing of files by path. It instead requires that app A (e.g., CC) hand the file contents to app B (e.g., the reader app), which then does whatever it wants with the contents. Steven will need to confirm this, but I think that is why there are multiple copies is some, perhaps all, reader apps.

Last edited by chaley; 05-05-2017 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Grammar
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:09 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
What you say is true for the Android version of CC, at least up to Android 6. The OP is using the iOS version of CC. AFAIK iOS does not permit sharing of files by path. It instead requires that app A (e.g., CC) hand the file contents app B (e.g., the reader app), which then does whatever it wants with the contents. Steven will need to confirm this, but I think that is why there are multiple copies is some, perhaps all, reader apps.
Absolutely right. Every iOS app is a "walled garden" with its own data, and in order for a reading app to read a book, it needs to have a copy of that book in its own private filestore.

What happens when you copy a file to an app which already has a copy of that same file is app dependent. Some (eg GoodReader) will tell you that the file already exists and ask you if you want to overwrite it. Others will create a second copy of the file with a different filename.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:11 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My apologies, I completely missed the [iOS] in the thread title line.
Advert
Old 05-05-2017, 05:12 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
My apologies, I completely missed the [iOS] in the thread title line.
It wasn't there when you replied.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:20 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It wasn't there when you replied.
That explains why I missed it. Of course the ibooks in the post should have been a clue.