Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-16-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
Wyndham
Connoisseur
Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad Air 2 (iOS 9), iPhone 6 (iOS 9)
Out of memory problem when copying eBooks to iTunes

I've noticed a few people mentioning this problem and have come across it myself, and there is a simple workaround.

It seems (I'm guessing here) that Apple doesn't know how to write software properly for Windows (as they expect programs on PCs to manage memory in the way the Apple OS does).

Consequently, iTunes itself simply runs out of memory after a while. This has little to do with how much RAM (working memory) you have on your PC, and nothing to do with how much HDD (storage) you have either. This has also nothing to do with available memory or storage on your iPhone (and I would guess iPad too).

I have found that all I need to do is close down iTunes and restart. After re-starting I am able to continue copying multiple eBooks to iTunes (for transfer to my eReader).

By following this process I have been able to copy hundreds of eBooks at a time to my Stanza replacement which is i2Reader - I could never do more than one at a time using Stanza.

Please note that this is based on my experience and should not be taken as a 'definitive' or 'professional' opinion. Nevertheless, I hope some may find it useful.
Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hmmm. I've used iTunes for more years than I care to remember, on more PCs than I could recall, and have never once experienced an "out of memory" problem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
I have found that all I need to do is close down iTunes and restart. After re-starting I am able to continue copying multiple eBooks to iTunes (for transfer to my eReader).

By following this process I have been able to copy hundreds of eBooks at a time to my Stanza replacement which is i2Reader - I could never do more than one at a time using Stanza.

Please note that this is based on my experience and should not be taken as a 'definitive' or 'professional' opinion. Nevertheless, I hope some may find it useful.
Thanks for the advice, but for me it never helped anything.

It has been a while since I've messed with trying to document and fix the problem, but had it happen to me recently. Same thing, trying to load books into something other than iBooks through the Apps page. I can never tell how many book I can 'drag and drop' into any App's file before I get the out of memory problem. Sometimes it's 20, sometimes it's 200. (I think I found about 180 was almost always the limit for me.)

Then I'd get the 'Out of Memory' problem, and my iPad or iPhone (didn't matter which) would sometimes lock up or spontaneously reboot. Closing and reopening iTunes wouldn't help, and only removing some of the books I was trying to copy over would.

I've updated iTunes to the latest, and while once again trying to load books since I've lost Stanza, found that even if I copied about 150 books over and it looked fine, I'd get a "Not enough memory to write file library" error on a sync.

Someone suggested using the "FileBrowser" app and to let it copy over files to my iPad and iPhone for storage, and then I can go into it and click on an epub and it will ask which ebook program to open it in. The ones it shows may not open epubs, like it'll show iPages as a choice but they won't open there, but so far the other's I've tested open the book just fine.

Took about a day to upload all my files into "FileBrowser", but they're all in the file folders I've created with Calibre, and I now have over 34,000 files in that one app on my Ipad. Once I figured out how to copy over with wifi, (connecting to my drive and all that) it went very smoothly! Just took time to let the wifi work through the files one at a time.

So I've given up on iTunes, too glitchy for my ePub book loading habits, and have fallen in love with FileBrowers. (Or as much as I can with it being new and so far no glitches. Ask me again in a few months. If I can break it, I usually will. ; )
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
Wyndham
Connoisseur
Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad Air 2 (iOS 9), iPhone 6 (iOS 9)
mmmm

I didn't have the same issues you mentioned (my iPhone didn't lock up, etc), so I'm sorry this didn't help you.

For interest, I was copying onto the i2Reader app section in iTunes and all I needed to do on the iPhone was close and re-open the i2Reader app for it to refresh the library (there's probably a better way but I haven't found it yet).
Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote