Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-13-2014, 03:31 AM   #1
beedaddy
Groupie
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Tolino Shine 5th Gen
Prevent calibre from transfering a metadata field?

Hello,

is there a way to prevent calibre from including a metadata field into the ebook during transfer to the eReader? A field, that is only kept in the calibre database?

Thanks!
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:52 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@beedaddy - for EPUBS you can use this PI ==>> [GUI Plugin] Modify ePub to strip out all non Dublin Core Metadata items (bottom right corner of settings).

With EPUB you could selectively remove metadata items by editing the content.opf file inside the EPUB with the calibre book editor. You might also be able to do this with AZW3, but I don't have any to do a quick test.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2014, 04:07 AM   #3
beedaddy
Groupie
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Tolino Shine 5th Gen
@BetterRed: But if I add a metadata field, calibre always includes this to the ebook (epub) during the transfer process to the ereader. But in the one or other case, I rather prefer to have this metadata only in calibre.
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:17 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@beedaddy oops I forgot, I don't use Send To, Email and Save To - and this is one of the reasons why so.

Another way I can think of would be to create an empty library and use right click Copy to Library. You'll be prompted as to which custom columns should be replicated in the empty library, tick what you want then do Send To, Email and Save To from that library.

And lastly I think this may be what plugboards are for - I've never really understood them, I think its about metadata that's the proprietary readers know about - rather than what's embedded in the book - but I could be totally wrong on that.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-13-2014 at 04:39 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Is this metadata appearing in the Jacket ?

Custom columns do not appear in the jacket, so make a custom column of the same data type for the hidden mtadata

BR
If I understand fully:
Plugboards allow designated fields to be crammed into a standard metadata slot on transfer (similar to what the Save Templates allow for file names)
eg
Normally the Title is all that is in that slot, but you want series and index there also. The plugboard modifies the Title block on the transferd copy as it is sent
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert