Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What are your choices for the November Book Club book?
The End: The Defiance and Destruction of Hitler's Germany, 1944-1945 by Ian Kershaw 6 37.50%
The Great Siege: Malta 1565 by Ernle Bradford 6 37.50%
One Summer: America, 1927 by Bill Bryson 3 18.75%
Wounded: A New History of the Western Front in World War I by Emily Mayhew 4 25.00%
The Last Castle: The Epic Story of Love, Loss, and American Royalty . . . by Denise Kiernan 4 25.00%
The Soul of A New Machine by Tracy Kidder 4 25.00%
A Brief History of Misogyny: The World's Oldest Prejudice by Jack Holland 3 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2017, 05:43 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbook View Post
I don't like the tone here.

"People that don't vote like me, are wrong" never does well

And what is wrong with a 600 page book?
What I mind are those who vote and then do not read the book. Why vote and screw up the results if you won't be reading? Vote for what you'll read or don't vote.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:23 PM   #17
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The Last Castle and A Brief History of Misogyny both contain about 350 pages. The Last Castle looks extremely interesting, and I can personally vouch for A Brief History of Misogyny as being one heck of an interesting book (and also only $4.99 at Amazon).

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-29-2017 at 09:25 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2017, 11:29 PM   #18
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbook View Post
I don't like the tone here.

"People that don't vote like me, are wrong" never does well

And what is wrong with a 600 page book?
I think it's also a matter of the topic. If a book is by an author that a person likes or the topic is of interest it's always easier to read a long book. An example is Stephen King. His books are usually on the long side but as I enjoy his writing and he tells a good story I find it easy to make my way though a long book by him. Non-fiction is a bit harder for most people I think unless it's a topic that a person really enjoys reading about.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:15 AM   #19
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
It's also a matter of time. We only have a relatively short period in which to read the selection. And if it's not a compelling book, of course, that doesn't help.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:49 AM   #20
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
My Vote for Malta was all but completely arbitrary. It is a bit of history with which I am also not familiar. As I do not a strong opinion about any of the selections, I will make an effort to read whatever the winner.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2017, 06:00 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The Last Castle and A Brief History of Misogyny both contain about 350 pages. The Last Castle looks extremely interesting, and I can personally vouch for A Brief History of Misogyny as being one heck of an interesting book (and also only $4.99 at Amazon).
At the end of The Last Castle there are about 31 pages of photos. There is also the Acknowledgements, a Reading Group Guide, notes and sources, about the author, index, & copyright. So it is a shorter than it looks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:21 AM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Wounded has only 285 pages. I thought a Great War selection appropriate since next year will be the 100th anniversary of "the war to end all wars." I find the Great War endlessly interesting as the start of modern times in so many respects.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:10 PM   #23
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Wounded has only 285 pages. I thought a Great War selection appropriate since next year will be the 100th anniversary of "the war to end all wars." I find the Great War endlessly interesting as the start of modern times in so many respects.
A good reason, certainly. But I find the war boring. It's the after-war period in the UK that I find much more interesting, as England dealt with too few men, and those too damaged. Many dynamics changed in that post-war period.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:18 PM   #24
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Since we can have multiple votes, I voted for all of the three that I would read and participate.

One of them is Malta, which was my nomination, so I am a bit biased. However, I will do some blatant electioneering, and point out that (1) it is the shortest book, for those who have trouble fitting the reading into busy lives; (2) YMMV - but for me, and my husband, and my son, it was also a very easy and engaging read; (3) although not free or super-cheap, it's under US$10/equivalent; and (4) it really was a little known episode of history that had a big impact - whichever side you would have been on, this battle mattered.

JMTCW - if any of the three I voted for win, I promise to read (or re-read) and discuss. I would probably also read and discuss some of the others, but not promising for them....

Last edited by sufue; 10-30-2017 at 12:30 PM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #25
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
JMTCW - if any of the three I voted for win, I promise to read (or re-read) and discuss. I would probably also read and discuss some of the others, but not promising for them....
Agreed. In general, I vote for the books I'm willing (or eager) to read, and don't vote for those I am unsure of. Still, "life" does happen -- I voted for Jane Eyre in a previous month, but was never able to finish it. Just too long and too many other books I wanted to read more. Plus I could see where it was going, and it wasn't a place I wanted to be right now.

All that being said, I usually enjoy history books, and I'm hoping we pick one this month that I can enjoy reading. Even Castle, which is outside my budget, might get a read if I can convince my library to add it to their collection.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:40 PM   #26
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cross-post to the non-fiction thread where Soul is on sale for $2.99 and up: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3602326

When I clicked through to the various retailers, I didn't get the $2.99 price anywhere except BN, but did get $3.49 at Kindle US. Kobo US and Google were much higher. Still, if you think Soul is going to win, or just want to read it whether it wins or not, it's worth a look. I had some new BN credits, so went ahead and bit on it there...
Old 10-30-2017, 02:15 PM   #27
CRussel
(he/him/his)

You're right, they've raised the price! I posted the initial $2.99 price, and that was the price then, but it's gone up. Worse, I didn't buy it then! (And yes, I do expect to read it again, regardless of whether it wins. But no, I won't buy from BN ever. Their DRM is invidious and more bother than it's worth. At least with Amazon and Kobo it's trivial.)
Old 10-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #28
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Yeah, I don't usually bother with BN either, but since I had the extra new little bit from the settlement, it seemed like a good way to use the settlement credit, and I can read it with the Nook app on my phone or tablet (although not fond of the Nook app!) if I decide dealing with it other ways is too much of a pain.

Don't know if you want to grab Soul while it's still $3.49 at Kindle US - as of right now (noon-ish US Pacific time), that price is still good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
You're right, they've raised the price! I posted the initial $2.99 price, and that was the price then, but it's gone up. Worse, I didn't buy it then! (And yes, I do expect to read it again, regardless of whether it wins. But no, I won't buy from BN ever. Their DRM is invidious and more bother than it's worth. At least with Amazon and Kobo it's trivial.)
Old 10-31-2017, 07:54 AM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'll read and discuss* either of the top two contenders.** I already own the ebook and audiobook of Malta; however, I think The End would provide more scope for discussion (and is cheaper and meets the $5 threshold, for those for whom that applies).

*I haven't missed a month this year.

**At that, I'm willing to discuss any of the nominations except The Castle, because of price and library waitlists.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:37 AM   #30
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Malta is couponable at Kobo. That got the price down to acceptable.