Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-29-2009, 03:40 AM   #16
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Ha, I've been thinking of doing the same and I don't even have the excuse of a roadbook.

Isn't anyone surprised that the Dutch Automobile Association is going to sell the readers? I know I am.

(edit: yes, they also do travel, tourism, and so on but still)
Actually, no. They sell all kinds of stuff that are easy, handy, fun to take with you on holiday. They also have that soduko game thingie for some time already. And an ebook reader is easy, handy and fun to take with you on holiday!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:03 AM   #17
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just heard the most fantastic news on the radio (can't find confirmation yet though):

The VAT on ebooks will go down to 6%!
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 04:27 AM   #18
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I just heard the most fantastic news on the radio (can't find confirmation yet though):

The VAT on ebooks will go down to 6%!
Is that changing them so they match up with paper books then or is that simply your standard rate of vat?
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:32 AM   #19
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Standard rate is 19%, they finally woke up and decided ebooks weren't software but books (which have a 6% VAT)...

Last edited by Sweetpea; 09-01-2009 at 04:47 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:46 AM   #20
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Standard rate is 19%, they finally woke up and decided ebooks weren't software but books (which have a 6% VAT)...
Is that going to change (supposedly) only in the Netherlands or in the whole EU? Down here the respective VAT rates are 16% and 4%, I think (almost the lowest in Europe).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 05:52 AM   #21
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

I still can't find anything more about it, only that small line on the radio that the VAT on ebooks would go down. And I don't have the paper they quoted it from. I did understand the date for implementation was unknown as of yet.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:50 AM   #22
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I've found an article here.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #23
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
I've found an article here.
I wonder how much this decision was "pushed" by bol.com/sony (the opening up of the ebook market in the Netherlands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Is that going to change (supposedly) only in the Netherlands or in the whole EU? Down here the respective VAT rates are 16% and 4%, I think (almost the lowest in Europe).
According to the piece linked in that post, it is possible to do so by the all the EU countries, due to changed regulations. Now the individual countries will have to do what they think is right.

Good news is, that audiobooks will also be put under the 6% products. And about every form of educational material.

And to think that a few years ago, they wanted to bring the VAT on pbooks to 19%...
Old 09-02-2009, 07:30 AM   #24
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Looking at the number of ebooks in Dutch on Bol, 1530, I hope that this doesn't turn into a big fiasco. There needs to be a good choice in Dutch for the reader to take off here, and I'm really surprised at the way they are marketing the readers.
First the reader and in a few months the books ? That's a pretty silly thing in my opinion. Also the fact that there are so few places that you can actually see and handle the reader might be a reason for people to ignore the whole thing.
On the other hand there is a wait of 4 to 6 weeks for the red touch ed. and 5-10 working days for the pink pocket edition. So people are buying. Or is it just the people here at MR?
I'd love to get a blue 600, But I'm afraid to buy it, as my wife swore she would kill me if I got another one of those damn gadgets.
So I'll keep putting out the garbage and be a good boy, and who knows,
Xmas will soon be here.
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:51 AM   #25
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzeltjes View Post
Looking at the number of ebooks in Dutch on Bol, 1530, I hope that this doesn't turn into a big fiasco. There needs to be a good choice in Dutch for the reader to take off here, and I'm really surprised at the way they are marketing the readers.
First the reader and in a few months the books ? That's a pretty silly thing in my opinion. Also the fact that there are so few places that you can actually see and handle the reader might be a reason for people to ignore the whole thing.
That's 40 books more than yesterday! I read there will be over 3.000 books before the end of the year, but that some were a bit delayed because of the holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centraal Boekhuis
Nog niet alle titels van de aangemelde eBooks zijn leverbaar. Door de vakantieperiode is het niet alle uitgevers gelukt om alle eBook-bestanden aan te leveren.
(translation: Not all titles of the registered eBooks are yet available. Due to the holiday period some publishers didn't managed to deliver all eBook files)

Still, the 1500+ books there are now is a huge step forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzeltjes View Post
On the other hand there is a wait of 4 to 6 weeks for the red touch ed. and 5-10 working days for the pink pocket edition. So people are buying. Or is it just the people here at MR?
I'd love to get a blue 600, But I'm afraid to buy it, as my wife swore she would kill me if I got another one of those damn gadgets.
So I'll keep putting out the garbage and be a good boy, and who knows,
Xmas will soon be here.
Yes, you should listen to your wife! Always (but just not this time )
Old 09-02-2009, 08:18 AM   #26
Lyanna
Lyanna began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ok, now I'm pissed. I expressly didn't order the red PRS 600 from bol.com this morning as I was planning to drive by my local ANWB to check it out "in the flesh" so to speak. When I looked at bol.com this morning the turn around time was still 2 to 3 workdays.

ANWB doesn't have the damned things - at least, the lady behind the counter looked at me as if I'd gone mad.

And now when I want to order one from bol.com I have to wait 4 to 6 weeks? Arhg!
Lyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #27
Lyanna

Btw, anyone hoping to order via Sonystyle.nl (the online dutch Sony webshop) has to wait until the 25th of september.

I swear, communication around the launch of this thing has gone haywire. I think it's very odd that bol.com are selling them already while the sony webshop isn't. The guy I spoke to (btw, a Belgian, as are all the employees I've ever spoken to there) didn't even know whether the ereaders would be for sale in the ANWB shops. He advised me to call Sony Netherlands since apparently the activities of the mother company and the webshop are completely separate. Euhm ... ok .... (???)
Old 09-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #28
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyanna View Post
Ok, now I'm pissed. I expressly didn't order the red PRS 600 from bol.com this morning as I was planning to drive by my local ANWB to check it out "in the flesh" so to speak. When I looked at bol.com this morning the turn around time was still 2 to 3 workdays.

ANWB doesn't have the damned things - at least, the lady behind the counter looked at me as if I'd gone mad.

And now when I want to order one from bol.com I have to wait 4 to 6 weeks? Arhg!
Order the silver one now and get it tomorrow.
Order the black one now and get it in about 2-3 days
Order the red one now and wait for 4-6 weeks...

I get the impression the coloured ones aren't finished yet...

And I'm not surprised nobody knows anything at at ANWB...
Old 09-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #29
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I can't find any reference to the Sony readers on the ANWB site.

I tried to find some more references to the source of the "Sony reader at ANWB" story but can find only the same story repeated at various NL gadget weblogs.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #30
Lyanna

Well, went ahead and ordered the black one. Silver I didn't like, Black is fine. Red would have been great but hey, they all have the same functions.

The ANWB rumor supposedly comes from the press conference where the readers were introduced. Now, the girl I spoke to behind the counter looked like a temp, so she might not know anything at all. It could be that the readers are delivered later, maybe at the same time the things are for sale at the sony webshop?

Aaaaaanyhow, two to three days wait here .... *gets excited*