Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #61
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
I really worry about something like this... I just have visions now of reading a best seller, turning a page... "You may have already won $10,000,000* in the ePublishers Clearing House Sweepstakes!"
So what? I mean, we get that right now out of books, magazines, television shows... big deal. It's not a secret incantation that, once scanned by the eyes, subconsciously reprograms your very immune system and makes you irresistibly addicted to Big Macs and Coors Light. It's just an ad. Turn the effin' page!

(Serves you right for reading best-sellers.)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:29 AM   #62
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
So what? I mean, we get that right now out of books, magazines, television shows... big deal. It's not a secret incantation that, once scanned by the eyes, subconsciously reprograms your very immune system and makes you irresistibly addicted to Big Macs and Coors Light. It's just an ad. Turn the effin' page!

I have yet to read a fantasy book with such add.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2009, 06:46 AM   #63
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
I personally don't think we'll see this happen - even Sony couldn't be that despicable, surely? Although if you were to lay odds on any company trying such a thing, Sony would have to be high on the list. If they do start, it's just another good reason to not buy a Sony (as if any more were needed).
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #64
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I hate ads in anything. I even have a HTPC setup so that I don't have to watch any commercials, there is software to automatically skip commercials.

If ads were introduced to my electronic reading experience I would be looking for alternatives.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #65
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post

Actually, I don't read best-sellers. At least none come to mind at the moment. I merely said that as an example. [...]

I wrote a good bit up and then realized it wasn't even worth it... I'll just leave this one off that I will never buy an ebook with embedded advertisements. If you want to, go right ahead...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #66
Gem
Gem began at the beginning.

Device: Still not sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
Ads embedded in freebies and teasers I can understand and tolerate. Every second page, or half of every page, if they wish. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

However, every content that I pay for, I expect to be ads-free. An attempt to force ads on me through firmware upgrade would anger me enough to never buy anything made by such a company.
Im with you
Gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #67
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I hate ads in anything.
Ads are one reason why I stopped watching any television years ago. I don't mind ads in my newspaper or my magazines. I've grown accustomed to them and do not find them troublesome there. I would find them troublesome in books, although I would rather see an ad that is clearly an ad than the subtle advertising of product placement.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote