Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-27-2015, 08:20 AM   #1
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Kobo Start Menu 08

KSM 08 is outdated, please go to the KSM 09 thread.
###
KSM 08 is supposed to work under FW 2.6.0 to 4.3.8842 and likely higher. However, avoid FW 3.16.10 and 3.17.0 if you can because of the sickel issue. I did not yet see any reports of somebody running KSM on Touch 2.0.

Note: After installing KSM 08, install the patch that you can find here. This is necessary for Aura One, Aura Edition 2, and any other model running firmware 4.2.8432 or higher.

The Kobo Start Menu (KSM) is launched at start up and lets you
  • choose between available readers and other applications
  • manage FW packages (install, install and preserve the Kobo Start Menu, delete)
  • download the most recent Kobo FW update as soon as it is available, if you wish so
  • connect the device as usb mass storage
  • enable USBNet
    Spoiler:
    For instructions on how to make USBNet work on windows see these instructions; plus this post, if you are running Windows 10. To make telnet work install KevinShort's package. For telnet you can simply use windows's own telnet (if you are a windows user that means). On how to install and enable it on Windows 8 and 8.1 see for instance these instructions. If vlasovsoft is available on your device you can optionally start dropbear together with USBnet.
  • execute scripts from the internal and external sd
Since larger parts of the package consist of sh files, you can modify and enlarge the functions easily.
For a general overview of the KSM features please refer to the (however partly outdated) information in the KSM 07 thread and the KSM 03-06 thread. I try to provide more updated information as soon as time permits.

Quote:
Installation
First time installation (consists of 2 steps)
Spoiler:

Preparation: Make sure that your reader is fully charged and generally in a good operating state (for instance, there must not be any problems with a corrupted database etc.) Switch off Wifi. You will need ca. 22 Kb of free disk space (apart from 7 Mb of KoboRoot.tgz, which will be deleted after installation) on the user partition. Check that enough free disk space is available on the reader.
Download the archive KBStartMenu_08.zip to your pc and extract the content.

Step 1
  1. connect the Kobo to the PC
  2. copy the folder kbmenupngs to the root of the device (e.g. K:\)
  3. eject safely and disconnect
  4. check that all images (exit_nickel.png, switchtokoreader.png, etc.) are listed in the library and their thumbnails are displayed there, and at least once as tiles on the home screen. Only then proceed to step two.

Step 2
  1. connect the Kobo device to the PC
  2. copy KoboRoot.tgz to the folder .kobo of the device
  4. wait until the update is finished (do not interrupt it, even if it takes some time)

Consult also the helpful guide to Adding alternative readers using Kobo Start Menu by Ken Maltby.
Installation on devices on which currently KSM 07 is running
Spoiler:

Step 1
  1. Contemplate the points Preparation and Step 1 of First time installation and apply them according to circumstances.
Step 2
  1. connect the Kobo device to the PC
  2. copy KoboRoot.tgz to the folder .kobo of the device
  4. select in KSM 07 "handle updates" > "install update" (do NOT select "install partial update")
  5. wait until the update is finished (do not interrupt it, even if it takes some time)
  6. delete the subfolder kbmenu of the folder .adds if you like
    The location of KSM 08 is .adds/kbmenu_user.
Installation on devices on which any KSM version apart from KSM 07 is running
Spoiler:
It might be advisable to delete the currently installed KSM version.
If any KSM 08 test version is running on your device, you can remove it with the help of delete_KSM08.zip, which you can find there.

KSM is by default configured to run only after every second reboot, and nickel automatically runs after every other second reboot. This is a kind of security measure in case KSM does not properly run after installation (something that cannot be excluded with future firmwares or changed hardware). After KSM has started the first time, please change this behaviour:
  • select "tools" > "activate" > "set runmenu settings.msh" > "always"
Spoiler:
If there is a problem and you cannot interact with KSM, force the reader to power off (by holding the power button in the off position for 20 seconds), and power on again. Connect from nickel via usb to the pc. Change the value of "runmenu" in .adds\kbmenu_user\runsettings.txt to "never":
Code:
runmenu=never
You must use a unix style editor for doing this change.
Be aware that downgrading the Kobo firmware without doing a factory reset might prevent nickel from running. The reason for this is that the Kobo Start Menu tries to work with all FW versions starting with 2.6.0. In order to do this it determines the currently running FW version by looking whether specific files are available on the device. After downgrading (without factory reset), version specific files of the higher firmware version are still living on the device, and this fact may result in false identification.

When editing any text/script files, it is important to use a unix style editor.

Selected topics:
location of KSM 08 files and how to access them
install/enable custom fonts
refj's startup tile-bumping script
syncthing under KSM 08
workaround for the limitations of the wifi network password input mask
How to install PBChess/Coolreader
How to start vlasovsoft's Dropbear SSH from KSM
How to enable nightmode and one of the screensaver hacks (the one using preload)
embryo's scripts to measure battery duration for KSM; the KSM 08 version is in post #2
downloading and applying patches from the Kobo Hacks Database
Turn off wifi before starting nickel!(FW 4.0.7523) Warning!
emergency power off if KOReader exits spontanously

Further information (Be aware that these pieces of information are part of the KSM 07 thread. You might have to modify some details, for instance, path names)
Setting up a factory reset device (includes information on bypassing registration), for bypassing registration under FW 3.19.5613+ see this post.
New location of KSM (concerns also Koreader, Kobo Launcher)
Night mode and Screensaver
Change options in configuration files
fmon and kbmenupngs
Display random html file
Power-off screen
start CoolReader from KSM main menu
add tiles of chess and other beta features to the nickle home screen
how to install kobo update packages
back up the internal sd with netcat
screen rotation issue on some models
initiate factory reset by script (only for emergency cases), read especially posts #1 and 9.

Visit this post frequently for further updates!

Uninstall KSM
Spoiler:
  • select in KSM "tools" > "ksm diverse.msh" > "del KSM.sh" > "delete ksm"
  • the device will restart with nickel running
  • delete the folder kbmenupngs

The package contains materials provided by Sergey (Qt libraries), Cecell3000 (modified Qt mouse/touch driver), NiLuJe (FBGrab), KevinShort (Frontlight control), NiLuJe (rsync), Frostschutz (pngshow).

USE THIS PACKAGE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Attached Files
File Type: zip KBStartMenu_08.zip (6.98 MB, 20294 views)

Last edited by tshering; 01-13-2018 at 02:37 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:33 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It looks like almost all of the first posts of "Kobo Start Menu 7" provide valid install info, which is to be expected. Hopefully that should suffice until the pertinent/still valid parts can be copied to here.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 10-27-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
It looks like almost all of the first posts of "Kobo Start Menu 7" provides valid install info, which is to be expected.
You speak my mind. Still I guess it might be difficult for new users.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #4
WolfBack
Zealot
WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kobo Aura 6'', Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD
Is there any changelog for KSM08 compared to 07?
I have installed 07 on my both devices and I'm very happy with them, but I'm playing hide & seek with my curiosity... There's a chance to read the differences between these releases?
WolfBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:21 PM   #5
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBack View Post
Is there any changelog for KSM08 compared to 07?
I have installed 07 on my both devices and I'm very happy with them, but I'm playing hide & seek with my curiosity... There's a chance to read the differences between these releases?
The only important difference is that if you use KSM07 and load your books with the calibre plugin, this will corrupt the database which is used by nickel. With KSM 08 this is not happening.
If your curiosity allows, wait until I upload KSM 08 to the first post of this thread. But of course you can install the test version, and later overwrite it."

I should also mention that part of KSM 08 is located on the system partition. That makes it unfortunately more difficult for the user to access some of its files.

Last edited by tshering; 10-27-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Advert
Old 10-27-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
WolfBack
Zealot
WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kobo Aura 6'', Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD
Thank you very much, tshering!
I will stay on 07 for now until the stable 08 release will be available. I have no issues and I can wait some time. After all, I use the calibre only for conversion and I won't allow it to communicate with my devices. I'm only sideloading my books directly on them (the only reason is that I want to create categories folders based on authors and place the epubs inside them. It is more easy that way when I'm browsing with Koreader's file manager).
I'll keep following the current thread for more infos.

WolfBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:09 PM   #7
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Thank you for continued development of the great KSM!

I can wait for latest and greatest KSM version, but just to mention, there is interest in it, at least if you ask me.

Anyway, just to be on safe side, I'd wait for "official" instructions how to install KSM 8 although I think even at the moment instructions are good enough to manage upgrade.

And even if I don't use nickel and calibre, I'd like to have more robust database corruption wise KSM8, just in case.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:57 AM   #8
tshering
Wizard

location of KSM 08 files and how to access them

The files of KSM 08 are located
  • on the user partition
    • .adds/kbmenu_user
    • kbmenupngs
  • on the system partition
    • /adds/kbmenu

Different to previous versions of KSM, some of the files are located on the system partition. This can make it difficult for some users to access them (and many uses will not need to access these files). I describe one way of accessing them without using telnet or similar.

To copy a file from the system partition:
  • select tools > explore > ... (navigate to the directory that contains the file you want to copy)
  • toggle between the options "open/info/delete/cp to sysmirror" and settle for "cp to sysmirror"
  • poke the file you want to copy
You will find the copied file together with the whole path in .adds/kbmenu_user/sysmirror/.

For instance, if you selected the file /etc/init.d/rcS, it will produce .adds/kbmenu_user/sysmirror/etc/init.d/rcS (on the user partition; that is /mnt/onboard/.adds/kbmenu_user/sysmirror/etc/init.d/rcS).

To copy a file to the system partition:
  • select: tools > ksm diverse > copy sysmirror to sys.sh
This will rsync-copy the whole content of .adds/kbmenu_user/sysmirror/ to its intended location.
For instance, if you want to rsync-copy the file myexecutable to /sbin, you would create .adds/kbmenu_user/sysmirror/sbin/myexecutable, and then select ... "copy sysmirror to sys.sh". Take special care to get the path names right. If not, you will end up with a lot of garbage on the system partition.

Use this only with caution!

Last edited by tshering; 05-03-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:21 AM   #9
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
After switching to KSM8, changing the font size through the configure
kobomenuFontsize=55, etc. option doesn't show an effect anymore on my H2O. Other than that, everything seems to work as expected so far.

Edit:
It probably did work, but the preset options made so little difference on my H2O that I didn't notice. I find kobomenuFontsize=65 a good value for the H2O.

Last edited by xor_; 10-28-2015 at 10:33 AM.
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #10
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor_ View Post
kobomenuFontsize=55, etc. option doesn't show an effect anymore on my H2O. Other than that, everything seems to work as expected so far.
55 is the default for H2O. This is why you cannot see a difference by selecting it. I should have added more options to select from. See this post on how to do it. The new location of the options file is .adds\kbmenu_user\confoptions\ksm_ini_options.txt.
Or does "etc" mean that you already added further sizes and tried those also without success?

Last edited by tshering; 10-28-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
If that were me, it would be followed by "Oops, I forgot to reboot!"

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:10 AM   #12
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
If that were me, it would be followed by "Oops, I forgot to reboot!"

Luck;
Ken
It works without rebooting.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #13
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Hmm, I had tried rebooting. But it works now, after editing the conf options and adding kobomenuFontsize=65.

Edit:
It probably did work initially, but the preset options made so little difference on my H2O that I didn't notice.

False alarm, I guess. Sorry.

Last edited by xor_; 10-28-2015 at 10:33 AM.
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #14
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Hmm, I had tried rebooting. But it works now, after editing the conf options and adding kobomenuFontsize=65.

Edit:
It probably did work initially, but the preset options made so little difference on my H2O that I didn't notice.

False alarm, I guess. Sorry.
No problem. I am glad it works.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:22 PM   #15
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

Wifi not working

I updated KSM07 to KSM08 and suppressed the old kb_menu. Everything went smoothly but when I tried an OTA update on Koreader, it asked me (which was unusual): "do you wish to connect to Wifi?". Even when validating, nothing happened.

I came back to KSM08 and read one top line telling me the wifi was enabled. Came back to the home menu of KSM08, could read that the wifi was enabled.

I tried starting again both wifi enable dhcp.sh, and wifi enable static.sh. With both I got a reply: "sdio wifi pwr.ko:loaded" but I had no real connection

I tried to scan again the available networks (wifi ap scan.sh) but none was detected, even when I pressed the "refresh" button.

I must conclude that wifi is not working anymore
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote