Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Where's a good place to put flash fiction online?

I've got mine on Facebook but FB only has nine tabs allowed. It's nice to be on FB because then people can "like" you, but I'm writing more and more flash fiction so I need someplace else. I could put them on my website but that would require the viewer to click again on a link (the FB tab opens directly) and I would lose the FB "like" chance. The best I've found so far is Scrbd, but I wanted to see what you guys might suggest. Thanks!
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:30 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Why not put a collection of your flash fiction stories together and publish them at Smashwords?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2014, 01:19 AM   #3
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks crich

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Why not put a collection of your flash fiction stories together and publish them at Smashwords?
Thanks, man. Good suggestion but I'm keeping it informal. Just writing what I feel like writing and throwing it out there.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:15 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Would your own website not be the best place to put such things, Gregg?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Would your own website not be the best place to put such things, Gregg?
Thanks, Harry. That's what I originally thought but there's always complications. I have a lot of flash fiction (maybe 15 so far) and I'm planning on writing more. I only have four tabs on my website and they're all taken. I can put buttons on one of the website's pages, but that's going to make the potential viewer click once on a link (say in a Tweet) to get to my website page, and then they will have to find the button for the particular piece they wanted to read and click on the button for it. People zooming around on Twitter are not going to be that patient, and they expect to be taken directly to the page that they're interested in. And I kind of like the idea of FB because then people can "like" my FB author page. (But FB only allows 9 tabs, which translates into 9 flash fiction pieces for me.) I'll just keep searching. I'm sure a good answer will emerge.
Advert
Old 03-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't understand what you mean when you say "I only have 4 tabs on my website", Gregg. If it's your website, you can put whatever you want on it, surely?

I'd simply have a "downloads" page on the site with links to the stories in ePub and Kindle formats.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
if they're flash you could creat an acc. on weebly and upload them..
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
if they're flash you could creat an acc. on weebly and upload them..
I looked at it. It's a website building thing. So are you saying create a website for the flash fiction?
Old 03-21-2014, 07:09 PM   #9
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't understand what you mean when you say "I only have 4 tabs on my website", Gregg. If it's your website, you can put whatever you want on it, surely?

I'd simply have a "downloads" page on the site with links to the stories in ePub and Kindle formats.
I'm having a hard time getting my head around this one, Harry. Yeah, I have the website and can have links to ePubs and Mobis but where are the ePubs and Mobis going to be? Linked to something like Mediafire? It would probably be easier to just have buttons with the entire pdfs of the flash fiction. That's what I do with the excerpts for the novels and short stories on the website.

Or I could put the flash fiction on another Blogger account but the print quality of the text on Blogger is just so bad.

And I really would like it if a person just has to click once to get the flash fiction to open up. (If the flash fiction is on the website, they have to click on the Tweet link and then on either a link or a button on the website.)
Old 03-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #10
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Can't the link from FB or Twitter go directly to the file on your website? The epub or mobi, that is. like greggsbloggersite.com/downloads/flashstory.epub
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:45 AM   #11
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
Can't the link from FB or Twitter go directly to the file on your website? The epub or mobi, that is. like greggsbloggersite.com/downloads/flashstory.epub
Thanks arjaybe. That sound really good but I'm not sure how I would do that. My website is greggbell.net. So here's the "Contact" url:

http://www.greggbell.net/contact.html

Okay, if that's a (tiny) url in a Tweet it takes them to the contact page. But I want it to take them to the flash fiction story directly. I mean, from what you're saying, it sounds like it can be done. I just don't know how to do it. Like, where would I put the .epub? How would I get the connecting url to be:

http://www.greggbell.net/downloads/flashstory.epub

I just don't know how it would be done.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I'm having a hard time getting my head around this one, Harry. Yeah, I have the website and can have links to ePubs and Mobis but where are the ePubs and Mobis going to be? Linked to something like Mediafire?
No, linked to a file on your website. Upload the file to your site, and link to it.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #13
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I looked at it. It's a website building thing. So are you saying create a website for the flash fiction?
yeah, it'd be easiest I think
Old 03-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
yeah, it'd be easiest I think
You just have to be careful to read the fine print. When I was on Web TV (back in 2001) I had access to create a website but though I could create a free website if I had tried to use it for selling something I'd have been in trouble since the TOS didn't allow for that. So if you think you might want to later sell your Flash Fiction's make sure that the website provider allows for that or you'll find yourself having to create your website all over again somewhere else in order to not get in trouble for going against the TOS that you agreed to in the 1st place.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #15
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

yes best to check that first