Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
What kids think about ebooks?

What kids think
I came across this page by chance today. It's dated Feb. 12, 2013 so it should be fairly current.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
But is that how they really feel, or what they figured the adults wanted to hear?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
BWinmill
Nameless Being

It's hard to say. Kids get excited when I pull out my ereader (e-ink based), but that may be because of the novelty.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I gave my niece a kindle fire for her birthday and my nephew the same for Christmas. Both really seem to like them. As part of the gift, I am giving them 1 audiobook and 2 ebooks a month. Both are 11. My niece is especially interested in the combination audio/ebook where the ebook is highlighted as the reader reads. Oddly, both wanted Les Mis. this month for both the ebook and audiobook. We will see what they think about it.

Last edited by pwalker8; 03-28-2013 at 07:11 AM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
My nieces and nephews use e-readers and read regular books. They all like the e-readers and prefer reading on them. When my son is old enough, he will have an e-reader.

My son is 9 months old, he reads board books. And by reads I mean he enjoys flipping the pages and eating the books, although the eating has greatly dminished. We try and point to things in the book and comment on color, the sun, moon, birds and the like. Soon enough he will start pointing to thing in the books when we ask him to. We ask now, but he just turns the page.

There is a place for e-readers and kids. I am doing my best to limit his exposure to screens at this age. I want to limit TV time, iPad time, and the like. There are reports that say that those things effect a childs persception and attention from 0-3 years old.

I don't see him using an e-reader for many years. It has nothing to do with enjoying paper or teaching him to love the page but more that the books that he needs and how he will treat them tends toward the paper book. He is going to be hard on books for a while and I would rather replace a book then an e-reader.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
My oldest daughter is 12 and she has a Kobo, but seems to prefer reading paper books. My youngest daughter is 8 and she could care less about it unless she sees her big sister reading on it. My sons are 9 & 10 and both are not the biggest fans of reading but they both prefer reading on the Kindle instead of a paper book. My oldest son has very poor eye sight and being able to enlarge the text makes it much more comfortable for him to read...when I can get him to read .
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
My daughter is 6, and she doesn't have much interest in reading from my Kindle. She reads from paper books, and has just started reading chapter books. She does like to have my kindle read to her via text to speech, she expects it every night, after I finish reading it to her. When she was 5, she called my Kindle a "brainbook", because it has so many books on it.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
My nine year old has an ebook reader because he reads books like the Percy Jackson series (Rick Riordan), Warriors (Erin Hunter), and other long or large book series. I had to put a three-book limit on what could be carried in his backpack because it was so heavy from his books! He enjoys his ebook reader a lot, although he reads paper books too that he gets from the library and from an independent book store in the next building from his guitar lessons.

(Note that his dad takes him to guitar lessons, bought him the Kindle because he was tired of all the space books take up in the house, and continues to buy *and order* books from the same bookstore!

We are both VERY big on supporting small town businesses, but the irony still kills me! )

He (my son) thinks ebook readers are cool. He likes that he can get books almost as soon as he asks for him and that if I pre-order a book, it will show up automatically. He likes that it is easier to carry than two or three books and I think he even likes that he always has his light with him.

He has an iPod too, but I have not installed any reading apps on it. I've been thinking of asking him if he wants one, but he normally just carries both devices around; I like that he can still read his Kindle if his iPod battery runs out.

My husband bought a Kindle for my six year old, but she doesn't know it yet. (She thinks she is borrowing mine.) We have been reading a book on it, and she likes the Kindle, but not that particular book.

She is into The Magic Treehouse right now and has the first 42 of them in paperback. I asked her if she would prefer to finish the series in paper or ebook and she chose paper. As a first grader, she takes those books to school with her and she knows she would not get to take a Kindle; I don't know if that factored into her choice, but I think she may be too young for an ebook reader, which is why I haven't officially turned it over to her. My husband likes to buy gadgets -- but I don't know why he didn't keep this one for himself.

I have a four year old too, but no electronic books for him yet -- I have a Kindle app book on my iPad for him that he likes, but he still prefers sitting with a book in his lap and flipping the paper pages. I'm in the camp that thinks that ebooks readers are best for chapter books with few illustrations, and he is definitely too young for those.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
forgottenbooks
forgottenbooks began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
My oldest son has very poor eye sight and being able to enlarge the text makes it much more comfortable for him to read...when I can get him to read .
This is one of the advantage of ebook reader over the text books. You can't make the text bigger in the text book.
forgottenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottenbooks View Post
This is one of the advantage of ebook reader over the text books. You can't make the text bigger in the text book.
You can't just highlight a word with your finger and get a definition for it (if unfamiliar with the word) with conventional books either.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #11
Andiry63
Andiry63 began at the beginning.

Device: none
My kids prefer to read ebooks instead of the usual paperback books. It's very sad that they do not appreciate reading books, so to make them interested I have to buy Kindle fire and get interesting ebooks for them to read. So far, things are doing and even my youngest son (6 yrs old) is starting to enjoy reading ebooks.
Andiry63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
My 10-year-old has had one for close to a year and a half now and still loves it. She always read a reasonable amount, but since getting the e-reader, she is a voracious reader. She reads frequently and, now that she's had so much practice, pretty quickly so she reads a great number of books.

I got her the e-reader because piles of books were showing up all around her room, and now she is reading much more and her room stays neat.

My younger one (4) likes the e-reader to some extent but really prefers paper books. I think when they are read to, they like paper, but when they read to themselves, the e-readers are a great option.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

young kids do seem to like being able to touch things as they explore their world so I can understand some like paper when young. Ebooks do have advantages over paper though I think. In the end though it's a personal choice of preference.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #14
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
You can't just highlight a word with your finger and get a definition for it (if unfamiliar with the word) with conventional books either.
I am so used to reading on my Nook that I subconsciously pressed on a word when reading a physical magazine before realising that nothing was going to pop up
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
I tried explaining to a nephew how ebooks worked. He brought me a stack of his Berenstain Bears books to put into a Kindle.

I felt bad telling him that I can't just put them in the Kindle like that.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote