Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
WSJ: Google Targets Amazon's 'Prime' With 1-Day Delivery

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...400561792.html

Quote:
Google Inc. is aiming to challenge the e-commerce supremacy of Amazon.com Inc. by diving deeper into the fast-growing world of Internet retailing.
The Web-search giant is in talks with major retailers and shippers about creating a service that would let consumers shop for goods online and receive their orders within a day for a low fee, said people familiar with the matter.
Interesting move, if it becomes reality. But curious where Google makes money on it-Amazon makes money on the products it ships thru Prime-will Google be getting ad space from the retailers and shippers in exchange?

edit: ah, Engadget has more details:
Quote:
Google, in turn, has apparently pitched the project to retailers such as Macy's, Gap and OfficeMax. Under the proposed system, when shoppers place an order on an affiliate's website, Google's system could kick in to offer them an option for same-day or possibly next-day delivery, said a person familiar with the matter
Basically drive more traffic to Google affiliate sites, with the promise of 1 day shipping.

Last edited by kjk; 12-02-2011 at 01:12 AM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
This is very interesting.

Although I would like more details (like the cost). And I would be happy to be surprised, but I'm a little skeptical that they can pull this off - what Amazon does is *really hard* to execute properly...and Google has pretty much no experience in this area.

I'm also kind of thinking that this may be more limited than what Amazon does - only offered from a handful of specific retailers in certain limited geographic areas.

But I suppose you have to start somewhere...and if I happened to need something from one of those retailers and lived in the appropriate geographic area, I might be interested. Depending on the price.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I like the idea in theory but I don't think I would in practice. Part of what makes Amazon Prime so hot is the fact that the Prime works for a number of products that are all being sold (basically) by the same seller. I always know that I will get the same kind of CS so I am not as concerned about product quality as I am with other online shopping experiences.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I wish google would focus.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
I wish google would focus.
^ This
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
There is already a service like this (but it's 2-day shipping, not one day). It's called Shoprunner and among the partners are Toys R Us and Sports Authority. This was designed to compete with Amazon Prime. Here are all the stores:

http://www.shoprunner.com/trial/free...est-stores.php

I don't know how much the yearly fee is, but today they were offering a free year if you like them on Facebook, and it totally overloaded their servers.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:17 AM   #7
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
There is already a service like this (but it's 2-day shipping, not one day). It's called Shoprunner and among the partners are Toys R Us and Sports Authority. This was designed to compete with Amazon Prime. Here are all the stores:

http://www.shoprunner.com/trial/free...est-stores.php

I don't know how much the yearly fee is, but today they were offering a free year if you like them on Facebook, and it totally overloaded their servers.

eP
1 day or same day delivery is expensive unless the store is in your neighborhood.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:51 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Isn't a service which delivers your stuff the next day for a low fee already in existence? In these parts it's called "the Post Office".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Isn't a service which delivers your stuff the next day for a low fee already in existence? In these parts it's called "the Post Office".
The post office in the US rarely delivers in one day. Here, even if I send a letter within the same zip code, 3 days is normal.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
The post office in the US rarely delivers in one day. Here, even if I send a letter within the same zip code, 3 days is normal.
OK, thanks. Around here, First Class post is (normally) the next day, Second Class is two days. Obviously, though, the US is a much bigger country!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I really hate this. It's bad when it happens when you're IN THE SAME CITY as the address you're sending to.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #12
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I really hate this. It's bad when it happens when you're IN THE SAME CITY as the address you're sending to.
I always get two days mail in the same city, and I can get next day mail if I drop it in mailbox at a post office before 8 or 9. In the (smaller) town I grew up in, though, we used to get same day mail before 8.

Still pretty good for 40c.

Of course, my mom remembers when there were two mail deliveries per day (but only one on Saturday, I think).

But if the post office really wanted to make money, they should allow people to pay a fee ($10/year?) to opt out of receiving bulk junk mail.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #13
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I always get two days mail in the same city, and I can get next day mail if I drop it in mailbox at a post office before 8 or 9. In the (smaller) town I grew up in, though, we used to get same day mail before 8.
I grew up in a small town and we couldn't get same-day mail at all. Once the mail was collected, it was shipped 120~ miles away for processing and then brought back, and it took about 2 days for mail to get delivered in-town. It was frustrating when I'd just want to drive down to the office we needed to mail things to and deliver it in person, but they wouldn't allow it for whatever reason.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #14
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I grew up in a small town and we couldn't get same-day mail at all. Once the mail was collected, it was shipped 120~ miles away for processing and then brought back, and it took about 2 days for mail to get delivered in-town. It was frustrating when I'd just want to drive down to the office we needed to mail things to and deliver it in person, but they wouldn't allow it for whatever reason.
Wow, that's inconvenient. My town had about 40,000 people and a college, so it wasn't tiny, though. I had a morning paper route when I was in Jr. High and delivered the bills with the morning paper before school. When I got back from school in the afternoon and checked the mail, there would usually be envelopes with checks from two people (always the same two) who paid their bills that morning. (The remaining 71 customers were more difficult to collect from.)
Old 12-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #15
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Some years ago back in the days of film cameras it was cheaper to mail off your negatives to get prints than to go to the Drug Store who sent them out on truck that came by and picked them up and took them to a processing plant somewhere.

Anyway, I was in Washington, DC for some business over a period of days so when I wasn't waiting around the Navy Dept I went around Washington to the Smithsonian and other places and took some pictures with my 35MM cameras.

While in Washington, I put a couple of mailers with negatives in them, actually to a place that had a Washington, DC address. Then when I got back home a few days later, I put the rest of the pictures in another mailer to the same place in Washington, DC.

After about a week I got back the prints from the negatives that I had mailed from home, but still no pictures from the mailers I had deposited in Washington, DC post boxes.

A full 9 days later I got back the ones deposited in Washington, DC.

Mail can be crazy.

My digital cameras make me HAPPY!

I think I am going to buy another one for Christmas, from AMAZON of course.

Last edited by SeaKing; 12-04-2011 at 11:40 AM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote