Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-21-2011, 05:46 AM   #1
davidjoc
davidjoc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Angry unzipping files

I have a large collection of Kindle MOBI books on a DVD which includes a lot of ZIP files. I am trying to unzip them one by one but it is taking a long time and I am finding that many of the unzipped MOBI files will not be accepted by Calibre (particularly the non-fiction ones!). Is there a way to unzip these multiple files automatically and does anyone know why some of the unzipped MOBI files are not accepted by Calibre please?
davidjoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If the ZIP file contains a single file then you should be able to add it directly to Calibre in ZIP'ed form and Calibre should automatically unzip the file and extract the MOBI file before adding it. Unfortunately this does not work if you have multiple files in the ZIP.

Having said that can you not select all the files on the DVD, and select a target folder on your hard disk for unzipping them all to? That would allow you afterwards do a bulk add to Calibre.

As to why a single MOBI file will not add itself to Calibre I have no idea as I have never had a problem adding MOBI files? Are you getting an error message - if so what are the details.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Could it be because the files are marked read-only because they are coming off the DVD?
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Could it be because the files are marked read-only because they are coming off the DVD?
I guess it COULD be - but if that was the problem I would expect ALL files to fail. However it is easy enough idea to test by bringing up the file properties of a failing file and checking them.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjoc View Post
does anyone know why some of the unzipped MOBI files are not accepted by Calibre please?
Are you getting an error message - if so what are the details.
I 2nd the request for an error message. My psychic powers aren't what they once were.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Zips/Rars within Zips/Rars will almost always fail as Calibre only unpacks 1 layer deep.

WinRar (and probably others) allows you to select a number of Archives in Explorer and Right-click select an unpack option-destination.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote