Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
ScottyG
ScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animalsScottyG is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Anyone having wifi issues?

Hi there,

I was wondering if any new Nook ST owners are having problems with wifi connectivity on their devices.

Long story short, I convinced my neighbor to get one of these and her initial impressions have been tarnished by connectivity problems from the get-go. From what I can tell, the wifi signal seems extremely weak on the device compared to other laptops in the same area (e.g, 2 bars vs. 4). Then it appears that the device keeps losing and regaining its wifi association.

Can anyone confirm where the wifi antenna is located? I'm assuming it's along the top edge of the device.

Standing near the AP, we've tried doing some book searches and now the device keeps timing out, saying something about "Sorry this is taking so long, please try again later".

She told me if I hadn't helped her out she would have returned it already (creating a new B&N account using the Nook was a major fail - we had to do it from a laptop instead). I'm going to take a closer look at her wifi AP setup and I'm hoping the B&N servers are just being hit with a lot of traffic today or something.

ScottyG
ScottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I suggest trying connectivity at a WiFi hotspot (McDonalds, Starbucks) in the neighborhood. If there isn't a problem, then you know it's something with her setup.

Last edited by SCION; 06-11-2011 at 08:03 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 03:38 AM   #3
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I've seen scattered reports of nooks having problems with some brands and/or models of access point. I can confirm that my nook color does not like a Cisco WAP-200 access point, but works fine anywhere else. (I have had problems with other devices connecting to that particular model, too, so I know it's the access point - unfortunately, what we actually have it for at work, it's the only one that works well.) The particular symptom for me is that it connects, says it's connected, then every minute or two is reconnects. I can see it on the network, too, but it can't do anything. I've had the same problem with the boss's iPad, too, as well as a wireless bin label printer on occasion.

The wifi also has to be set up to provide DCHP. So far as I know, there's no way to manually input any network address info.

I will second Scion's recommendation - try it somewhere else, and see if it works. If so, it's a good bet the access point is one of the ones the nook doesn't like (and it's more likely the access point that's the problem than the nook).
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote