Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
Liet
Liet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Question How can I check if a Kindle has been jailbroken?

Hi, I'm living in Shanghai, China, for some months and I'm thinking on buying a Kindle. Amazon doesn't send it to China, but they sell it everywhere here (they buy it in USA, take to China and resell in shops).

I believe that most of the Kindles that are in the shops, came jailbroken and with duokan installed, because it adds some cool features for reading Chinese characters, but if possible, I would prefer to buy a "clean" Kindle, with the factory default settings.

So my question is if there is any way to see in the menu if the Kindle has been jailbroken and has any kind of hacks installed (asking to the seller is not an option, they just answer what you want to hear).

Thanks!
Liet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Not with a simple jailbreak, no.

The only way to check is to try to install a custom update file, if it fails with a U007 error, the Kindle isn't jailbroken.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welclme to MobileRead, Liet

Stick around, you'll find much more information here as well....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
Liet
Liet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Thanks to both.

One thing, I have been reading a lot about jailbreaks, hacks and so on, and If I have understand correctly, if a Kindle has duokan installed, it adds a menu that lets you choose between the Kindle OS and the duokan OS when starting the Kindle, so the only thing I have to do is restart it in the shop and look if the menu appears, right?
Liet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
In the duokan case, yes.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert