Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 03:07 AM   #1
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
SD Card and non-english files/folders

Hey there,

I bought nice 4gb kingston sd card yesterday with the intention to put there everything, to use PRS+ and the directory structure and be happy with. Nope. I tried creating structure of Author/Collection/Books and loaded 30ish authors for a test. Only 2 of them showed on the reader and browse folders on PRS+, the reset were... missing. Tried loading more, renaming, deleting, moving folders and I can't really get any logic in what's happening, some, very rare authors are being shown and the rest ignored. If I move the whole structure to internal memory it works, if I "flatten" the structure, it works too. I saw someone mention in some post that sony have problems with non-english characters (english only file structure works), but could not find the discussion of these issues and if there is any workaround
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:32 AM   #2
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Did you try your folder structure without the non-english characters. Would it work then? If you want more information on PRS+ and how it works, check out the approbriate thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64510
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:37 AM   #3
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Get Calibre, upload your files on it and tag them. Connect Sony and upload them on it. Calibre will show you both drives: just select SD one to you upload files. You will have what Sony calls "collections" on your SD drive.

p.s.: I don't have any idea of what an English character is. Did you mean an alphabet? Maybe the Latin alphabet?
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:56 AM   #4
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

It is not PRS+ issue, the reader itself does not "enumerate" the books too, like most folders/files does not exist at all. I tried creating structure containing only english characters (characters from the latin alphabet, the originals are on cyrillic) and it works fine.

Calibre is nice too, but the generic issue is that the the reader itself can't sort anything with cyrillic, if you open books by author or books by name, the only thing you see is "Other" with 1000 books in, you can read the book faster than finding it this way.
On the other side, if I manage to make that sony actually show contents of the files and ultimately create structure like:
A
Authors starting with A\collections\books
B
Authors starting with B\collections\books

.. etc, of course with cyrillic leters, A,B are only example
And use PRS+ to browse that, I'll get rid completely of the 505's interface for finding books, will have the sorting working (PRS+ sorts cyrillic letters great too) and actually stop fighting with that reader and begin using it
Old 05-07-2010, 05:11 AM   #5
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Hi!

Check the PRS+ thread for ".NOSCAN" and the "don't-scan-SD-Card-Option",
as well as the experimental "mount SD-Card" feature.
It's reported that 1000thends of books can be browsed this way.

On the other hand you can't open a book from the SD-Card any more, you have to copy it to internal memory first. But functionality is in PRS+ already.
HTH
Mark
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur

\o/
Thanks all (and especially Mark). After 10 or so tries I sorta found out what 505 likes/dislikes about the cyrillic, so following structure works:
-Author first letter: latin
---Author name: cyrillic
------Sequence name: cyrillic
-----------Book title: latin

Every other case have failed. So now I have 2 working ways - either rename the whole stuff using the way above, or use Mark's suggestion (which works great), with the added drawback of having to copy the book and added benefit of less waiting for the reader to analyze the whole SD card.

I'll probably stick with the noscan/mount option and just get used to
Old 05-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
allon_pan
allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505
It's a known issue that folder or file might be "missing" if not purely in English. Workaround is below (say you want to keep Chinese in your folder or filename):

folder name: 01.小说.Ebook
folder name: 02.诗歌.Ebook

filename:y.倚天屠龙记.epub
filename:t.唐诗三百首.pdf

The rule is: English.non-English.English

I use above method to manage my hundreds of Chinese books, it works perfectly. BTW, sub-folder is good as well as long as it follows the rule. I have PRS+ installed on my 505 for sure

Last edited by allon_pan; 05-08-2010 at 08:47 AM.
allon_pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
SD/MS(?) card access in PRS 505 is buggy, but it should always work with "*via mount" (albeit quite a bit slower (might improve in the future, currently mount/umount is done every time) and with disabled scanning)

PS
By the way, besides .noscan (which is honored even if scanning is disabled via settings menu) there is also "disable scan" option in PRS+ menu.

allon_pan
Quote:
The rule is: English.non-English.English
Wow. Does it also work with underscore "_" as "english" letter?
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
allon_pan
allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
SD/MS(?) card access in PRS 505 is buggy, but it should always work with "*via mount" (albeit quite a bit slower (might improve in the future, currently mount/umount is done every time) and with disabled scanning)

PS
By the way, besides .noscan (which is honored even if scanning is disabled via settings menu) there is also "disable scan" option in PRS+ menu.

allon_pan

Wow. Does it also work with underscore "_" as "english" letter?
Sorry, never tried underscore. I personally believe it would work. Below would all work:

1.Chinese.epub
123.Chinese.epub
abc.Chinese.epub
allon_pan is offline   Reply With Quote