Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #76
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
By the way, Psymon, I know exactly how I'd be reading your particular EPUB edition of Walden: because I have several tablets (from various platforms), I'd simply open your book simultaneously on two tablets: say, the book's main text on my 10-inch iPad, and the footnotes/endnotes on iPad mini.
Now they just need to bring back those double-screen, "flip open to read like a book" ereaders... anyone remember those?

Quote:
The important thing is for the e-publisher always to strive to remain as close as possible to what the original writer actually published or (more tricky) may have intended to publish. But editorial policies such as modernizing spellings, or modifying the original punctuation to suit today's readers' tastes (let alone even more visible original text modifications) are an anathema to me. Only that honorable German wort- und zeichengetreu publishing principle is good enough for me when creating EPUB editions of classic writers' works.
I am liking you better and better! That is my philosophy as well! I match every little piece of text from the PDF, down to the final character (even all the ligatures, they might be more "æsthetically pleasing")!

I even make sure that the Greek characters get completely transferred over to their correct unicode equivalents (most conversion places I have seen, just take a snapshot of the greek and leave it in the EPUB/HTML as hideously low-quality image).

I only fix up BLATANT typos (and make an extremely thorough changelog telling exactly which page/paragraph the error occurred, which I then post to my site).

Quote:
[...] Excluding owners of only 4-year-old e-reader devices from the target audience is not something I'm ready to do, unless explicitly prompted to do so by the client. Why, I still use iPad 1, purchased in the summer of 2010, on an everyday basis (for secondary purposes) – I'd be upset if someone told me I'd be unable to open certain e-books on that device.
Heh, and the Apple situation will only get worse, since they now bundled iBooks in with the OS update itself! (WHO was the one who decided this would be a good idea?).

They should be going the way of Android, and trying to unbundle as much as possible from the OS.

This is the nice thing about Marvin, is that even if you are on the older hardware, he is still pushing out the latest updates, because he KNOWS that there are still millions of "old" ipads out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, but in this case, we are not really discussing formatting; we are discussing functionality, and without a lot of craziness, there's no viable way to put in both ePUB3 and ePUB2 footnotes for a mobi, not that I know of. (Now, admittedly, I haven't really tried).
There is the InfogridPacific way (the people who make AZARDI), which I think is semi-viable. More of a "let's create ANOTHER intermediate format, based on heavy tagging." Then they can easily transform their heavily-marked up HTML -> whatever formats.

Side Note: There was another huge chat earlier this year about intermediate XML workflows (Warning: very heavy, dense posts): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=232413

It requires going through and making sure all of your input is marked up correctly (footnotes as footnotes, lists as lists, headers as headers, etc. etc.).

Want EPUB3 output? All of your footnotes were marked consistently, now an intermediate program can just easily shove them in <aside> (and add whatever other "specific" EPUB3 tweaks are needed).

Want EPUB2 output? Ok, the program can just shift all the footnotes to the end (of chapter, or of book), and do the ol' linking way.

Want to aim for a specific device? Ok, resize the images to X x Y, and fiddle around some image code if needed.

Want high-quality PDF output? Ok, let's just shift some stuff around, and make decisions XYZ when feeding it in.

One of the downfalls of the Infogrid way, is that their workflow is proprietary (you have to purchase their expensive product). I personally would rather have open workflows, and not be tied to any specific program. (See Side Note above).

Now, another, and this is the ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE problem, is getting people to do consistent input. As Hitch can probably attest, probably more than 95% of the input files she gets are just COMPLETE TRASH. NOBODY uses Word Styles, and even if they do, they are not likely 100% correct/consistent throughout. Heck, even when I am looking at InDesign files designed by a professional typographer, sometimes there are mistakes (and heck, all of us make them, we are human (not me though ).)

(Also, it is the flaw with working in a GUI, it is very hard to tell the difference between text that is black, and text that is "very dark blue it is almost black". But in code, stuff like this stands out like a sore thumb.)

Currently, the only way I see, is things like Toxaris's EPUB Tools, which can easily strip out 99% of the useless cruft in a Word file, and get us to some extremely clean slate (which you can then go through and tag consistently). And then creating nice little tools to help speed things up in a consistent way, (for example, I have a footnote renumbering tool (although VERY finnicky/buggy, which is why I haven't released it . It has to be run at a VERY SPECIFIC time in my EPUB workflow, and the code has to be placed/look a very consistent way.)).

I personally have all my ~250 EPUBs coded in an extremely consistent way... so I can make my little slice of the ebook world clean at least.

This is the sort of stuff you have to keep in mind, because you have to look very long-term (to the formats BEYOND EPUB).

Side Note: I wrote about my footnote renumbering program, and some of the bugs/downfalls + thoughts/functionality of a successor in this topic (See Post #9): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=243223

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-12-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #77
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
Calibre 2.1 now supports footnote pop-ups. http://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote