Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Micah Dawson
Micah Dawson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Nook(Windows 8 App) and Kindle(Windows 8 App)
Do you recommend a Amazon Paperwhite?

Hey Mobileread,

A questions for you all...
I am going to be buying my first ereader. After the snow storm last week, I discovered that while reading my nook and Kindle books through their respective windows 8 app is good on my Surface tablet...the battery life is not the best and after 4 hours of reading, I had a dead tablet and no power to charge.

And Of course this happened right at the good part of the book..So I am going to jump into the ereader world...

With that said...

How good is the Paperwhite from AMAZON? Is it a ereader you recommend that I buy? Are there any known issues and complaints?
(I have books with Amazon and Nook so i flirt with both regularly but this will definitely be a marriage to one or the other)

The one thing that bugs me about the Ereaders is that refresh thing. How often does it refresh when you are turning pages?

(I'll of course be asking the same question about the Nook glowlight :P)
Micah Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I've had no problems with my PaperWhite as far as refreshing the page and it has a very good battery life. When Kindle ereader batteries are too low a message pops up to remind the user to recharge so it's hard to forget. And I have yet to have my PaperWhite go dead (due to low battery) even though it's over a year old. Of course it can't read epubs but that's what Calibre is for.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I got the latest Paperwhite for Christmas and have zero complaints. It is a great reader.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The Paperwhite would definitely be a good choice for you. No worries about trying to find a light for it when the power's out!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Buy several eReaders and charge them all before a snow storm. They you can keep reading through several batteries without a recharge.

I have 4 kindles and they have gotten me through the latest Polar Vortex.

We are getting 2 feet of snow every week for the last 7 weeks. I understand all that snow is due to global warming.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
Paper white is a very good machine, I don't think you'll be disappointed!
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #7
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I have no complaints about my Paperwhite 2012, apart from the lack of font choices/sizes.

There have been reports that the Paperwhite 2013 nags about wanting internet access when you change collections, because that reader supports syncing collections through the Amazom cloud. If you want collections, but don't want to always have the reader online (to save battery, for one), the KPW 2013 might not be a good choice. Granted, I don't know how serious this problem is, or if it is maybe even solved already.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Katsunami, your comment is worrying because I have the PW2 on order and don't have wi-fi access. I intend to download all books I buy from Amazon, rather than storing them in the cloud, then sideloading them to the reader. I watched a vid about creating collections on the PW itself, which made the process looked really easy. Can I do this without wi-fi access. I haven't ordered the 3g model.

To the OP, the only complaints I've read about the PW2 has been to do with empty pixels resulting in light spots. These spots are tiny and don't bother most people unless they occur in the centre of the screen. Amazon has excellent customer service and will replace or refund any faulty devices.
The uneven lighting which was found in the first model of the Paperwhite has been dealt with in the second.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #9
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Katsunami, your comment is worrying because I have the PW2 on order and don't have wi-fi access. I intend to download all books I buy from Amazon, rather than storing them in the cloud, then sideloading them to the reader. I watched a vid about creating collections on the PW itself, which made the process looked really easy. Can I do this without wi-fi access.
On the KPW1 (2012), collections work without Wifi.

The KPW2 (2013) supports cloud collections, which means that it syncs collections between different devices. There have been reports that, if no internet is available, the KPW2 nags for an internet connection, instead of just creating the collections and syncing them when a connection becomes available.

One of those threads is this one

This function was introduced in KPW2 firmware 5.4.2. You'd need to search the forum/ask for help on how to downgrade to 5.4.0, which still has the same collections as the KPW1. Then, do a factory reset, and keep the Kindle in Airplane Mode (= off Wifi) forever, so the firmware won't upgrade behind your back.

PS: I am of the opinion that this is a very bad move on Amazon's part. If Wifi is off, the Kindle should just manage collections locally instead of starting to nag.

PS2: If you said in your thread that you don't have Wifi at home AND want to use collections, I'm surprised nobody has brought this up yet.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-17-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #10
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry to go off topic!
I don't intend to sync them as I have no other devices to sync them with and don't want to store books in the cloud, hence I'll immediately download them. I've been doing the same with K4PC, then Alfing them and converting them to lrf in Calibre. I won't need to do the last part as the books will be going onto the Kindle, not the 505, but I do want them in genre collections.

My internet is all wired. I considered the 3g version, but other kindle owners convinced me that this wasn't worth the extra £50.

How will the cloud know that I've put the books into collections when I'm not online on the PW?
Old 02-17-2014, 01:49 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I have no complaints about my Paperwhite 2012, apart from the lack of font choices/sizes.

There have been reports that the Paperwhite 2013 nags about wanting internet access when you change collections, because that reader supports syncing collections through the Amazom cloud. If you want collections, but don't want to always have the reader online (to save battery, for one), the KPW 2013 might not be a good choice. Granted, I don't know how serious this problem is, or if it is maybe even solved already.
You can add fonts onto the PaperWhite Katsunami. I found a post here way back when I got mine that explained how to do it. I wrote down the steps so I'd have them handy if something happened and I had to reinstall them again.

Quote:
1. Connect PW to computer
2. Create file 'use_alt_fonts' (a text file as I recall)
3. Create folder 'fonts'
4. Copy fonts to the folder (from your computer)
5. Disconnect PW from computer
6. Restart PW. Menu>Settings>Menu>restart
When it restarts you have the additional fonts available to you.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry to go off topic!
It's not off-topic. A problem like this can cause people to decide to NOT go for the Paperwhite, as Using Collections + No Internet seems to be a very bad combination if using the KPW2 on Firmware 5.4.2..

But, as I said, this problem may have already been solved; the firmware is now at Version 5.4.2.1..

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
You can add fonts onto the PaperWhite Katsunami. I found a post here way back when I got mine that explained how to do it. I wrote down the steps so I'd have them handy if something happened and I had to reinstall them again.

When it restarts you have the additional fonts available to you.
This does not work on the KPW2. It is expected to stop working on the KPW1 as well, should that reader get another firmware update.

Quote:
How will the cloud know that I've put the books into collections when I'm not online on the PW?
It doesn't. That's the entire point.

Instead of just storing the collections and syncing at the earliest opportunity, it tries to sync immediately, and nags if there is no internet.

Try to put book into collection -> Kindle wants to sync -> No internet! -> NagNag.

At least, that is what I understand that is happening, starting with firmware 5.4.2.0.

If your router/modem does not have Wifi, and you won't or can't replace it, then why don't you just put a very basic wireless access point on your network? In the Netherlands, you can have one for under €20. They are just 100 Mbit, but that's more than fast enough for a Kindle.

It's either that, or keeping the Kindle at a 5.4.0.x. firmware version if you want to use collections. (Again, assuming the problem is NOT yet solved.)

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-17-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #13
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Regarding cloud collections on the KPW2--I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to create your collections on the KPW2 even without wi-fi. But, every time you make a change to a collection, you'll get a nag screen telling you that you need to connect to wi-fi in order to update the collections in the cloud. I'm not sure if you get this nag screen only when creating/changing the collection or if the KPW2 will continue to nag you sporadically until you're able to connect to wi-fi. Although I have a KPW2, I'm still on firmware 5.4.0--which doesn't support cloud collections (and I don't use collections on my KPW2), so hopefully someone else who has direct experience with collections on the 5.4.2 firmware will correct me if I'm wrong.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #14
BookCat
C L J

Katsunami, the reason I don't have wi-fi is that I discovered at my previous address, which was in a student area, that having the wi-fi antennae on on my pc gave me a headache. In the early days of wi-fi, before I had my own internet connection, I used to pinch the students' unsecured wi-fi and got headaches from it. When I got my own connection installed I learned about 'home plugs' which transfer the internet round the house via the electrical sockets (Devolo and Netgear make them). When I moved, I insisted that the installation guy switched the wi-fi off on the router.

It wouldn't cost me any more to have the wi-fi switched on; except the cost of a visit from Virgin, but I don't want to have this done.

I don't want to keep popping over to a friend's house to nick their wi-fi each time I add a book to a collection. Sure way to lose a friend!
I hope this isn't going to be a major issue. Can I create the collections using Calibre and put them onto the reader?
Old 02-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #15
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It wouldn't cost me any more to have the wi-fi switched on; except the cost of a visit from Virgin, but I don't want to have this done.
Why not? Have the guy put an easy to remember key in it, and you're done. I only use Wifi for my tablet and phone; the rest of my network is cabled too. No headaches whatsoever.

Quote:
I don't want to keep popping over to a friend's house to nick their wi-fi each time I add a book to a collection. Sure way to lose a friend!
I hope this isn't going to be a major issue. Can I create the collections using Calibre and put them onto the reader?
No you can't. Calibre cannot put collections onto the Kindle, unless you jailbreak it and install the Collections Manager onto the device.

To be honest, the Kindle is the very WORST e-reader to buy if you want maximum freedom and customization. It's totally geared toward the Amazon eco-system.

There are three reasons to buy the Kindle:

1. You like the Amazon eco-system and use it to it's fullest.
2. Because of the Amazon support.
3. Because of the very stable firmware.

For me, reason 3 was the one to choose the Kindle over a Kobo (at the time of my purchase), but I don't use the Amazon eco-system. It basically comes down to it that you need to disable everything (Wifi, Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads...), don't use collections, and just put some books onto the reader to read, just as you would do with a very old-fashioned reader.

That is exactly what I do. I positively hate social networks, and I don't care about organisational features, so I disable everything. The readers are not powerful enough to handle organisation the way I want to. I treat the reader as an electronic book, not as a library. That means I put one book on it to read, and a few possible followups.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-17-2014 at 03:44 PM.