7. 13 10.48%
8. 30 24.19%
9. 7 5.65%
10. Huge success 100% Pass 6 4.84%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Firmware 2.6.1 Pass or Fail?

Just curious what we all are thinking about 2.6.1
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
There are plenty of posts on the subject already. Do we really need another thread?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
There are plenty of posts on the subject already. Do we really need another thread?
Are we running out of threads here?
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Just curious what we all are thinking about 2.6.1
We need more verbal options.

Myself I would chose haven't a clue I installed it on my mini but cannot say whether it is better or worse, but I don't know what number to check.

Helen.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
IMHO, they get a point over neutral for continuing to innovate and provide updates while apparently not having broken anything new this time around. The new home screen could still benefit from some intelligent redesign, but it's not impossible to improve, and opens the doorway for a more user configured home screen. A bit ambitious concerning the core features that still need to be addressed, but nice fluff all the same.

This same update with underlying core fixes would have gotten them a nine or ten.

Now could we get back to fixing the underlying core problems?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Are we running out of threads here?
@Helen - with your similar question/comment to mine you may be getting a PM from the OP as I did -- labeling me a "whiner" merely for asking a legitimate question. It takes all kinds...
Old 06-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
@Helen - with your similar question/comment to mine you may be getting a PM from the OP as I did -- labeling me a "whiner" merely for asking a legitimate question. It takes all kinds...
I am a whiner, even I know that

Helen
Old 06-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #8
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I am a whiner, even I know that

Helen
Too funny.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #9
justywusty
Enthusiast
justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.

Device: kobo touch
i actually think it's pretty great. not perfect, but better.
justywusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:40 AM   #10
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Better than neutral, but I don't know how much better. I haven't bumped into anything that was broken (thumbs up) but we're still playing guessing games about which bugs have been fixed (so we don't know how much progress has been made).

Sigh.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:05 AM   #11
sysKin
Connoisseur
sysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Aura HD, after a train ate my Glo
I for one don't know what to think about the epub title removal: on its surface, it is what I wanted, so I should be happy. In practice, the *reason* why I was against the title is because of wasted space, and the space is now even more wasted than before.

I can't help but wonder if I'm being trolled here lol.

As for all the other GUI changes, I'm very happy with them. The only thing I don't like is that it takes one additional press to change glo brightness.
sysKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:18 AM   #12
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysKin View Post
I for one don't know what to think about the epub title removal: on its surface, it is what I wanted, so I should be happy. In practice, the *reason* why I was against the title is because of wasted space, and the space is now even more wasted than before.
Uh, about half of the space was returned. I acknowledge that half the space isn't all of the space. On the other hand, some of us want whitespace just as some of us want wall-to-wall text. What's Kobo to do? Strike some sort of balance between the two I guess.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:47 AM   #13
sysKin
Connoisseur
sysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Uh, about half of the space was returned.
Oooh it was? OK then, thanks for letting me know. I've never installed the previous version so I had no comparison.
Still, the current gap is as big as the bottom bar, which is quite big. How big was it before? >_<

[edit] so I compared to my sister's glo and I think you've overstated the difference a bit. It's a couple of pixels - after tapping the middle, top line of text currently touches the top bar, and before it wasn't touching. That's all. Crude measurement with a ruler says it used to me 10 mm and now it's 8 mm.

Last edited by sysKin; 06-10-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:01 AM   #14
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysKin View Post
Oooh it was? OK then, thanks for letting me know. I've never installed the previous version so I had no comparison.
Still, the current gap is as big as the bottom bar, which is quite big. How big was it before? >_<
I was measuring based upon the top bar, since that's the easiest way to make a direct comparison. The gap was the size of the top bar in 2.5.2 and is about half the size of the top bar now.

For what it's worth, seems to depend upon the book. The first book I tried had a gap that was nearly as large as the top bar, but I noticed that my Aura wasn't letting me tweak the margins so I assumed that the publisher was overriding the settings and tried another book.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:08 AM   #15
sysKin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
The gap was the size of the top bar in 2.5.2 and is about half the size of the top bar now.
Interesting, because with my book it used to be the size of a top bar and a couple of pixels, and now it's the size of top bar without those pixels (so letters are *just* touching the horizontal line).
This is with a book without css margins.

Are you saying that currently, with your book, the top bar is drawn on top of some text?