Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Man-Kzin Wars

I understand the fact that most of the man-kzin series has not made it into electronic form as yet, although I need to stick strictly to electronic format. My Mrs told me to stick to electronic format because we are in danger of not having any place to live at home due to the number of printed books at home. How do you recommend approaching this series from electronic novels? I was thinking of going through Best of All Possible Wars first then proceeding on to book 6.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Doesn't matter what order you read them in. They're all completely standalone stories.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good to know I though they were dependent series, where book two is dependent on the reader understanding of what occurred in book one.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No. Not to my knowledge. They're just anthologies of short stories.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I understand the fact that most of the man-kzin series has not made it into electronic form as yet, although I need to stick strictly to electronic format. My Mrs told me to stick to electronic format because we are in danger of not having any place to live at home due to the number of printed books at home. How do you recommend approaching this series from electronic novels? I was thinking of going through Best of All Possible Wars first then proceeding on to book 6.
The Best of All Possible Wars and The Houses of the Kzinti have most of the stories from the first five books, see this chart.

enjoy
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard

Personally, I am not much of a fan of short stories. In my humble opinion the author does not have the time to do the sort of plot development and character development that is necessary for a well written story. You may not agree with me however that's simply my opinion based on several decades of reading all sorts of books and short stories. I guess anytime I see the names of multiple authors on the cover of a novel I can figure that it will be a book of short stories.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Were you not aware that these were short story collections when you started this thread?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard

No I was not. Are all the books short stories or just some of them?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

All of them.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All of them.
Not completely true. The Children's Hour by Jerry Pournelle and S.M. Stirling and Cathouse by Dean Ing are novels. Published by Baen in The Houses of the Kzinti
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Not completely true. The Children's Hour by Jerry Pournelle and S.M. Stirling and Cathouse by Dean Ing are novels. Published by Baen in The Houses of the Kzinti
Thank you. I stand corrected .
Old 12-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #13
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
So glad I found this thread, love me some Man-Kzin wars, reminds me a bit of the Wing Commander series with the Kilrathi.

I actually was turned on to this series because of those games.

Picking up Best of All Possible Worlds and Houses of Kzinit right now!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Sometimes the short story is better than the novel. David Drake's Novel Killer was first published as a short story and later revised as a novel. I think the short story was better.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard

Some people prefer short stories and some people prefer long stories, neither answer is better than the other its personally preference. Personally I prefer the longer tales then the sorter ones, gives the author more time for character development and scene development. However I can understand where some people would prefer a shorter story over a longer one.