Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Caleñ0
Caleñ0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (all generations)
Question Title page does not "translate" as TOC item

This question is being discussed elsewhere. It is focusing on the tags used in the document.

However, I'm still wondering why the TOC is Sigil does not survive the conversion in Calibre to Mobi format?

Last edited by Caleñ0; 10-15-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Question is being discussed elsewhere
Caleñ0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Caleñ0

Ok, so...

I've received a lot , and valuable information in the Sigil forum in regards to my original question. However, the problem remains that Calibre is not allowing me to proceed with the conversion of the existing TOC.

I need help, Calibre-folk. Please.
If I don't use Force use of auto-generated Table of Contents, my Kindle previewer (both local and online), will not detect or recognize any TOC. That is, the book (.mobi, or AZW) appears to not have a TOC.
If I do use this option, and use chapter detection, my title page is ignored and the book starts, with much "tweaking", in the copyright page.
I can sometimes scroll or navigate to it, but it's just not present as a first chapter, much less a start page.

Please, any suggestions, any help is certainly appreciated, and I thank you in advance.

BTW...I work with the Publishing house releasing this particular book, so I could very well upload any source material you might need, if that helps in any way. This is only my second eBook, and my first experiment with an image-as-chapter...so I'm not yet discouraged.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Look under MOBI Output in the conversion dialog.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
Caleñ0

Thanks a lot for replying Kovid!

Well, I just discovered something interesting once I decided to go "spelunking" into my epub. I decided to use the Web Inspector in Caliber, and then use the "inspect" option to see what the code was doing.
As it turns out, my title page, which I originally tagged as an h1, had been changed to P, class="title"...adding a space and then "sigilNotInTOC". For example, the Copyright page reads:
Code:
  <div class="story" id="Copyright.html" xml:lang="es-ES" xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace">
     <h2 class="copyright sigilNotInTOC" id="heading_id_2">Copyright ©2012 ...<br />
...instead of what it was originally: h2 class="copyright".
The main difference is that for the Copyright page, there's no exclusion from the TOC. The title page, since it is changed from "h1 class..." to "p class", seems to be excluded as a working link. It's presented as text, but it doesn't work as a link to the page.

**By the way: I am assuming that this occurs in Sigil, but it's not present in the code as I leave it. I always find it after I've put the document into the Calibre library to be converted.**

I'm currently using both Calibre and KindleGen with different results. KindleGen gives me the TOC I need, (all links work), but it just DESTROYS my formatting in places like my copyright, endmatter, etc. The main content looks...ok, but I just don't want to sacrifice the look of the book, so that only the TOC works as desired.
Calibre does the opposite, it presents me with a fairly good transition in look and feel, but the TOC is missing that first item.

Personally, I'd like to keep using Calibre to do my conversion...I don't like the "see what we get" feeling of the KindleGen process. That being said, I don't understand what is changing my tags and if that is at all what's causing these results.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Last edited by Caleñ0; 10-19-2012 at 11:58 AM.