Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
coochy123
coochy123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Kobo Wireless Help

Hi,

New here so not sure if I'm posting in the correct place but I have a problem with my Kobo and I'm looking for some help - I'd be grateful!

I bought a Kobo eReader around a month ago and have bought a few eBooks for it and have been really please so far!

Last night I bought two eBooks from the Kobo website - one reads and has downloaded perfectly. The other, well, I paid for it, downloaded it and downloaded onto the Kobo - as I did with the other - although when I go to read it, the page is blank?! There's a header and footer telling me the book name and chapter etc although no actual text on the rest of the page. The book reads and is fine on my desktop and iPhone apps although on the reader itself, it doesn't work.

I have reset the eReader and redownloaded all of my books onto the eReader and it doesn't seem to have helped.

I just wonder if anyone has any advice or has experienced the same?

I am a UK user although I don't know if this makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!!!
coochy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Have you tried loading the book from the desktop application instead of wireless?
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The only time I have seen something like this, it was a font issue. Changing the font for the book fixed it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
coochy123

Hiya,
Yeah, downloaded the books via the desktop as well as the wireless and it doesn't seem to have changed anything?!

Will try the font settings now...

Thank you!!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
coochy123

Have tried changing the font size and style and still nothing?! I may have to call them I think!
Old 10-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Did you have any luck calling Kobo?

Are you sure it's a book meant for an ereader, and not something for the Vox or Arc?

You could also try downloading the DRM epub version of the book and sideloading it.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
coochy123

I assume that it was meant for an eReader?! I bought it from the Kobo website - I didn't realise that there might be different formats?!

I haven't had much luck with calling Kobo. The ladt I spoke to was really lovely but all she did was pretty much what I had already done (taking the book off, putting back on etc) - I have now been asked to reset the eReader... After looking online on the Kobo website, I understand that when I reset it I shoudl see five black boxes come up. When I press the reset button on mine, all it does it turn off and on again. All my books are still on there, I don't have to re-enter the date etc. It's exactly the same. I also have noticed that on my desktop it has registered that I am 63% through a book although on the eReader it says I'm only 1% through!

I think I have a bit of a problem with it!!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Sounds like you did a pin reset (paperclip in the hole in the back?). Try a full factory reset (you'll lose your settings etc). I can't remember on the wifi if there is an option to do that in the settings menu or not (check there). If not search the forums for factory reset. Sorry I can't remember what the buttons/sequence is for the wifi.
The problem you are describing sounds like a database corruption issue, so factory reset might be your only choice.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
coochy123

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Sounds like you did a pin reset (paperclip in the hole in the back?). Try a full factory reset (you'll lose your settings etc). I can't remember on the wifi if there is an option to do that in the settings menu or not (check there). If not search the forums for factory reset. Sorry I can't remember what the buttons/sequence is for the wifi.
The problem you are describing sounds like a database corruption issue, so factory reset might be your only choice.
Have done the factory reset too, still nothing.

I've just noticed, on the Kobo Books website, that most books are listed as 'EPUB (DRM free)' and I checked to see that all the books I've bought say that, the only one which doesn't is the one which doesn't work, maybe this could be the issue??
Old 10-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by coochy123 View Post
Have done the factory reset too, still nothing.

I've just noticed, on the Kobo Books website, that most books are listed as 'EPUB (DRM free)' and I checked to see that all the books I've bought say that, the only one which doesn't is the one which doesn't work, maybe this could be the issue??
Yes, it could. For instance, some books are only available for LCD devices, not for ereaders. That's why I asked a few posts up of you're sure you got a book that was meant for an ereader.

If you go to the kobobooks.com page of the book, and scroll down, you'll see an information box on the bottom right that shows you all the devices you can use to read the book on...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote