Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
umue
umue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2+3
New Kindle Format 8 (HTML5)

Hello,

Amazon will change the Format of the Kindle books to "Format 8".
" Kindle Fire is the first Kindle device to support KF8 - in the coming months we will roll out KF8 to our latest generation Kindle e-ink devices as well as our free Kindle reading apps." This Original Statement from Amazon.com don´t answer the question: Is there any Update for the last Kindle DX.

Has anybody here Informations about it?
umue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...vglnk-c1533-20

Looks very interesting, but it is more for special formatting purposes than for use with the typical non-fiction book.

The article states that KindleGen 2 and Kindle Previewer 2 will soon be available.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-21-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
There is another, longer thread about this under "News": https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154189
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Some of us rarely, if ever, read the News forum. Too bad the other thread has turned into a slug fest rather than a constructive discussion of the new format. I guess that is why I rarely read anything in that forum. Nevertheless I guess perhaps the mods could lock this thread and/or redirect it.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm looking forward to drop-caps, embedded fonts and true CSS support. Let's face it... Amazon was never going to pay Adobe to license their Adept DRM, so true epub support was always a pipe-dream in my opinion. There may have been some added benefit for personal documents by supporting drm-free epubs, but otherwise, epub support just didn't really make much business sense (regardless of how much I and others would have welcomed it).

So it seems Amazon decided to completely leapfrog the current ePub specs and go directly to something that delivers what ePub3 has been promising. The difference being that Amazon devices will be delivering that type of content (ePub3-like) as early as this spring. That may actually put pressure on the IDPF to completely finalize the ePub 3 specs, because I'm guessing that the other eReader manufacturers are going to be scrambling to have ePub3 compliant devices/apps hitting the market around the same time that Amazon's K8 format hits select devices. Everyone benefits in my eyes. Except those that are obsessed with visions of "one format to rule them all."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is a duplicate thread. Nothing to see here. Please move along to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154189
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is a duplicate thread. Nothing to see here. Please move along to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154189
Actually, I see this thread as a place for Kindle users to discuss the new format. I see the other thread as a battleground to be avoided for a while yet.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I agree with DiapDealer, perhaps since this is the Kindle forum we can just skip over all the global evils of Amazon and they should use ePub fighting and instead discuss how this will play out on our Kindle Devices.

I'm still holding a Kindle 2 US but I really don't see my primarily plain text books being effected one way or another. My sons in college however might benefit from the textbook angle as formatting solutions for the educational market are really needed.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Actually, I see this thread as a place for Kindle users to discuss the new format. I see the other thread as a battleground to be avoided for a while yet.
I agree!
Old 10-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Does these means small caps will finally be supported?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Not unless there is a font for it. Simulated small caps look just that, simulated. But when you have a proper small cap font, it does look good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You may need to embed a font that actually has the small-cap variant, but from the list of supported tags and CSS attributes:
Quote:
font - Sets all font properties
font-family - Allows for a prioritized list of font family names and/or generic family names to be specified for the selected element
font-size - Specifies the size of the font
font-style - Allows font style (italic or oblique) to be selected within a font-family
font-variant - Selects a normal, or small-caps face from a font family
font-weight - Specifies the weight or boldness of the font
Old 10-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #13
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I suspect this will mostly be used for the Fire, for books with embedded video and what not, so the actual impact on e-ink kindles will be negligible.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I look forward to better CSS support.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Is this new format rolling out to all eInk Kindles as well or just the Fire? I assume it's backwards compatible with the current Kindle format? (is that a stupid question? I don't know much about formats)
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote